Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30 - Revisited

I have been dedicated to the P30 LEM for almost three years now. As others have noted, the action is unlike anything else that is semi-automatic. That being said, I shoot about fifty rounds per week out of my P30, and that is enough to keep my skills decent. I am nowhere near the level of many of the shooters on this forum, but I hope I am better than the vast majority who do not practice with intent.

I do supplement my P30 shooting with quite a bit of .22 LR out of a S&W 17 K-frame revolver. The DA revolver trigger is not so different than the P30 LEM. The P30 LEM trigger is lighter, and the wall is in a slightly different location, but the basic "long smooth" pull is present. I have found that, for me, practice with the .22 K-frame helps my 9x19 P30 LEM shooting. I am of the opinion that one can pretty much shoot anything well (maybe not great, but well) with dedicated, focused practice, and the P30 LEM has done nothing to dissuade me of that opinion.

As far as a holster gun, that long smooth trigger pull with a hammer I can feel makes me much more comfortable putting the P30 in a holster when compared to my last polymer gun, the Glock. There is only one trigger pull, no safeties to forget to use, and no decocking levers to find or forget. I also like that the trigger is a bit more forgiving of mistakes, something I am sure to make. The P30 reliability has been exemplary, and I like that the gun really is fully ambi in terms of controls. It is a very easy gun to learn to trust.

About my only issue with the P30 is my unwillingness to do more than detail strip. Along with that, getting parts is a bit more of a concern than Glock. In fact, no dealer within fifty miles of my home has any HK guns or parts. Internet ordering of parts and magazines has been the norm. In fact, I need to order a few more magazines to replace some that are reaching the end of their service life.

All of that being said, my wife and I have five P30 LEM pistols between us, and we have been well served by them.
    Last edited by farscott; 02-20-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I'd rather not cross something off my list because it doesn't present the same value as other pistols at this point.
    Define "value", please; as in, what it means to YOU in terms of shelling out for a defensive side arm that you will depend upon.

I have found that trying to discuss the LEM with folks who know nothing about it is, more often than not, an exercise in futility. Not trying to point any specific fingers here, and I understand your reticence due to not being able to go hands-on with one. Yes, you have to put in some time to "learn it". No, it doesn't ruin you for any other trigger action. Others disagree with that.

Suggest you read nyeti's treatise on it, regarding "street triggers". Its book-marked around here somewhere, and is, without doubt, the best explanation ever penned on WHY some of us, who have plowed their way through more than a few different action types in a pointing-real-guns-at-real-people environment, think it is the best thing going for a defensive pistol trigger action.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    H&K has questionable CS.
    On what CURRENT information do you base that statement?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    On what CURRENT information do you base that statement?

Just CBP dealings with them.

ok so something bothered me and I had to stop cleaning my house to get it off my chest. I just went shooting this morning. I live in Montana and the only range near me is out doors. It was cold and windy this morning and it was the first time I had shot in 2 months and three weeks. I hadn't dry fired it 2 months and three weeks. I shot a low 3 second D5 cold and then got into the 2's as I warmed up. I just went and looked at my notes, I was .3 off the fastest time I got with a glock and .45 off the fastest time I have ever got(which was with a lem). The LEM trigger is not any more difficult to stay proficient on then any other gun... If you shoot a shit ton of different guns, which I believe is kind of silly, of course it will be harder to use! The trigger is pretty comparable to any other trigger I have used. I take up the slack, go through the wall, and reset. I am not sure why people make it sound so hard. I could be completely wrong but that really gets under my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    Just CBP dealings with them.
    From what I've heard, most of that is due to typical government bullshit getting between the CBP armorers and the firm itself. All hearsay, of course.

I do know that the "civilian" HK customer service exchanges I am aware of over the past several years have been exemplary… and that is not hearsay. HK had- HAD- a well deserved reputation for lousy CS years ago. No longer.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I am not sure why people make it sound so hard.
    Neither me, bud.

Wait… okay, I DO know why, given a few individuals…

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    From what I've heard, most of that is due to typical government bullshit getting between the CBP armorers and the firm itself. All hearsay, of course.

I do know that the "civilian" HK customer service exchanges I am aware of over the past several years have been exemplary… and that is not hearsay. HK had- HAD- a well deserved reputation for lousy CS years ago. No longer.

I'm DOI, so our processes are different, but similar in many ways to. The problems that the CBP armorers are experiencing are parts availability, and repair/replacement of broken parts/guns. Even the best made guns will occasionally go tits-up, after they are screened by the master armorer, H&K takes their time in getting a functioning pistol back into the inventory. Our turn around on Sigs that have to go back to the factory is usually less than two weeks. A number of CBP P2000s that went back were not replaced for several months.

I've been carrying a SigPro for better part of a year now and have been very happy with it. That being said, I just picked up a V3 DA/SA P30 that came with Heine sights and a Gray Guns trigger job. I have to admit that factory HK DA triggers can't compare to a factory SIG, but this one is danged nice after the trip to Gray Guns. Here's a target I shot yesterday off the bench at 20 yards with some Winchester 124 Grain +P Bonded JHP. Might have to adjust the sights:
    Name:  IMG_5537.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  48.9 KB
    Last edited by LtDave; 02-20-2016 at 04:38 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I've been carrying a SigPro for better part of a year now and have been very happy with it. That being said, I just picked up a V3 DA/SA P30 that came with Heine sights and a Gray Guns trigger job. I have to admit that factory HK DA triggers can't compare to a factory SIG, but this one is danged nice after the trip to Gray Guns. Here's a target I shot yesterday off the bench at 20 yards with some Winchester 124 Grain +P Bonded JHP. Might have to adjust the sights:
    Name:  IMG_5537.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  48.9 KB
    nice shooting sir.

User Tag List