Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30 - Revisited

YVK how do the HKs with the upgraded triggers compare performance wise to your Glocks?

My carry HKs have triggers that are 20% / 1 lbs lighter than my carry Glocks. Despite easier nature of Glock / striker trigger, this pull weight advantage is significant enough that I outperform my Glocks with my HKs. Glocks could be faster in raw speed but when I factor in hits, HKs are better. Frankly, even raw speed is a wash now. That said, I shoot my Glocks so infrequently that it is not a fair comparison.

Thanks for the feedback

I just got another light LEM and am reacquainting myself with it again after a few years. I am really digging the LEM after a second go around. I am starting to like the characteristics of it better then my vp9.

I'll be joining the P30 family tomorrow. Stumbled upon a local deal that pushed me over the edge. Have 2 VP9s and enjoy them immensely; I'm sure the P30 will be no different. I'm slowly beginning to move towards TDA guns for AIWB carry. The P30 I'm getting tomorrow is a V3. Fingers crossed for a semi-decent DA trigger. I've been spoiled by my Brig Tac and 226 Legion triggers as of late so I anticipate sending this off to Rick Holm for a trigger job/reduced reset package.

Site Supporter
    I don't think the P30 trigger is really all that bad...and I have a 92FS with a light hammer spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I don't think the P30 trigger is really all that bad...and I have a 92FS with a light hammer spring.
    I agree, I think people make it out to be worse then it really is. I totally agree with what Todd used to say about the "trigger is not more difficult, it's simply different" then what most are used to.

I also don't think my vp9 trigger is anything special. I mean it's a good factory trigger with a short take up and decent reset. I don't know if the hype made people exaggerate things or not. Just shows you how people's perception and choice of things differs.

I agree with what many others have said that the p30 LEM is great trigger system for a carry/defensive gun. The robustness,reliability, and accuracy of the platform combined with all the other attributes of the LEM make it a solid choice. What little performance one would lose on certain range drills seems neglible with keeping in mind what the purpose of the pistol is for.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I thought the P30 V3 DA/SA I had was pretty good. My comparison was to classic Sig DA/SA triggers. Sure there were some "differences" in the characteristics of the triggers, but they were so close in those characteristics that they did not effect my shooting performance. In fact, I actually shot better with the P30 than I did a Sig P228 or P229........and I was trained on the Sigs. I think the trigger characteristics are just part of the equation in evaluating a firearm's performance. In this case, I think that the greatly improved ergonomics of the P30 resulted in my shooting it better than the P228/P229. A superior grip improves the shooter's control over the trigger. An old lesson from the revolver days which many have forgotten.

Picked up the P30 today...I was pleasantly surprised to find the DA trigger nearly as smooth as a standard Sig P series trigger. Although it's heavy, it's nothing like people made it sound. I was picturing a horribly gritty, heavy and stacking trigger based on stuff I read on various forums. It's definitely one of the better DA triggers I've felt out of the box. The SA was nice and crisp (no surprise there). And the reset, while longer than my Brig Tac and eons longer than my P226 Legion, really isn't that bad.

On the way home I stopped by an indoor range and put 150 rounds through it. The decocker is a bit wonky, but I was able to work it with my strong hand (right hand) thumb without much issue. Worked a good bit on the DA/SA transition and did some distance work at 15, 20 and 25. Also did some speed drills from 7 & 10 yards. Man this thing tracks flat! Was super easy to track the sights and I actually outran my sights a couple of times during various strings of fire. So much for that long reset hampering split times...I came away from my virgin P30 range session very impressed. I'm going to shoot it side by side with my VP9 tomorrow. Also going to bring a G17 or G19 as a control (which is what I've been carrying/training with lately). Going to be pretty informal but I want to see how the P30 recoils compared to the VP and Glock.

As an aside, I tried fitting the P30 in my VP9 JM George...it was a SNUG fit even with the retention screw backed all the way out. I'm going to order a George tonight and an OWB holster. While I'm waiting on those, I'm going to work on acquiring a second P30. Once I get my holsters in, I'm going to shelve my Glocks and other striker guns for a few months and work solely with DA/SA guns (mainly the P30 but also with my Berettas from time to time).

One last thing...while I was at the range I rented a USP 40 and put 50 rounds through it. I was on the fence between the USP and P30 and man am I glad I got the P30! While the USP felt OK holding it in the gun store...I was not a fan when firing. The thumb safety/decocker interfered with my thumbs forward grip and I challenged to run it as naturally as my Glocks, VPs or Berettas. Just overall did not like it. I may try a USP9 or 9C at a later time if I can find a rental around me, but as of right now they're a no-go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    ...While the USP felt OK holding it in the gun store...I was not a fan when firing. The thumb safety/decocker interfered with my thumbs forward grip...
    LEM is your friend. Says the guy with match trigger kit and safety-only detent plate in his USP40.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Point Aficionado View Post
    LEM is your friend. Says the guy with match trigger kit and safety-only detent plate in his USP40.
    LEM is a rabbit hole that I'm avoiding like the plague. I've shot my friend's LEM P30 and was NOT a fan at all. I've read about the benefits of LEM and such and I can appreciate the concept and respect those who take the time to master it...but I never plan on owning a LEM HK.

User Tag List