Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Sub2000!
    Calico, bitches!
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Talionis, and others, what is the skinny on the JP 9?
    Good to go. Probably the best out of the box competitive solution at the moment.
    TY83544

Looks fun to me.

PCC is way cool. I think is has potential as a HD weapon, particularly SBR'd, better yet suppressed. I see literally no reason why it wouldn't work just fine on USPSA handgun stages.

The idea of shooting an unsuppressed AR in the house, wife, dog, myself (maybe I would have time to get amplified hearing protection on) - shudder.

I've seen it mentioned a few times about letting people re-run the stage with a PCC all in the same squad rotation. I would be strongly against this. You either run the PCC instead of the pistol, or the MD leaves the match set up at the end and the PCC guys run through as an after-match (provided they also stay to do all the tear down, at clubs where the tear-down is a team effort).

I think that anything that PCC does that causes added stress or time problems to the match will result in its un-doing and bolster resistance from those that don't want to see it happen.

I might entertain the idea that a shooter could pay twice, and take up two slots, if they wanted to shoot both on the same squad rotation, but then you bring up problems of one guy taking two slots and someone else potentially not being able to shoot at all.

One of the reason I'm interested in this concept is that I'm getting more and more wrist and forearm pain from shooting handguns. It's not the sole reason I've not shot a match in awhile, but it's a strong one. My guess is there's more than a few people in similar situations.

Anyone know if there are provisional rules or proposed rules out there? Personally I'd like them to take an outlaw approach for the time being and see where the equipment race takes us. My guess is that an SBR, with a brake, and a c-more style optic will be the way to go, and lowers that take straight mags, not angled pistol mags, will be preferred due to reloading in the angle being a bit of a pain.

What mags to the JPs take?

I'd likely just use my suppressed SBR with the eoturd that's on it, since it's already all set up and runs.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I think the pistol Cal limit has more to do with range limitations. Lots of ranges have rules(legit or not) which prohibit the use of rifle calibers. A PCC can run on any current stage without regard to steel target or backstop design.
    There's two different pistol caliber carbine / Tac Shotgun matches held in Phoenix each month, and the reason they're so popular is they give people the feel of running 3 Gun without the need for 200 yard shots, expensive rifle targets and all the folderol that comes with a true 3 Gun match. The stages are set up so that you can them either with a PCC pinging steel and punching paper or with a shotgun using slugs on the paper targets.

And they're fun. Because you're only shooting one gun at a time, the stage reset goes quickly and you can run through the match in an evening vs the 1/2 day required for a 3 Gun match. Cost to the shooters is low because you're shooting 9mm or 12ga bird for the most part (even .22 carbines are allowed), and the load work on the match directors is also low because the courses of fire are in a pistol bay versus a 300 yard rifle range.
    Last edited by Exurbankevin; 02-21-2016 at 09:41 AM. Reason: because dumb
    I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I've seen it mentioned a few times about letting people re-run the stage with a PCC all in the same squad rotation. I would be strongly against this. You either run the PCC instead of the pistol, or the MD leaves the match set up at the end and the PCC guys run through as an after-match (provided they also stay to do all the tear down, at clubs where the tear-down is a team effort).

I think that anything that PCC does that causes added stress or time problems to the match will result in its un-doing and bolster resistance from those that don't want to see it happen.

I might entertain the idea that a shooter could pay twice, and take up two slots, if they wanted to shoot both on the same squad rotation, but then you bring up problems of one guy taking two slots and someone else potentially not being able to shoot at all.

One of the reason I'm interested in this concept is that I'm getting more and more wrist and forearm pain from shooting handguns. It's not the sole reason I've not shot a match in awhile, but it's a strong one. My guess is there's more than a few people in similar situations.

Anyone know if there are provisional rules or proposed rules out there? Personally I'd like them to take an outlaw approach for the time being and see where the equipment race takes us. My guess is that an SBR, with a brake, and a c-more style optic will be the way to go, and lowers that take straight mags, not angled pistol mags, will be preferred due to reloading in the angle being a bit of a pain.

What mags to the JPs take?

I'd likely just use my suppressed SBR with the eoturd that's on it, since it's already all set up and runs.
    I agree with this. There is pushback from the "Keep yer damn rifles out of my pistol match!" crowd, mostly with the justification that adding PCC will require too much change from the way things are. I am against changing things for pistol shooters to make PCC work but I think it can be incorporated without doing so.

AFAIK, the GMR-13 is designed for Glock mags only, though the angle doesn't seem as steep as some of the other Glock mag lowers. The GMR-12 was designed for Colt SMG mags.

Regarding rulesets: Expect a provisional division appendix to be released next month. I can say from things the Prez and members of the BoD have said, expect these guidelines initially:
    Run what ya brung.

That will translate into no barrel length restrictions, no magazine length or capacity restrictions, no optics restrictions, suppressors are fine, just make sure your RO can keep up or you'll be annoying everyone with reshoots. Scoring will be minor only, and require 9mm, .40, 10mm, or .45. Caliber limitation is due to concerns for steel at pistol ranges. The idea is that if it catches on and people want to separate things out, they can split into something like an Open PCC and Limited PCC down the road.
    TY83544

I am uncertain about PCC's viability as a standalone division. I am seeing how slow the carry optics has been in making the inroads despite seemingly vocal support before its introduction and I can't help but draw analogies. I personally would be more interested in a 2-gun format, remove the stupid shotgun and use the USPSA stage setup.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am uncertain about PCC's viability as a standalone division. I am seeing how slow the carry optics has been in making the inroads despite seemingly vocal support before its introduction and I can't help but draw analogies. I personally would be more interested in a 2-gun format, remove the stupid shotgun and use the USPSA stage setup.
    That's because (a) carry optics was a stupid idea set to placate a very vocal, very minor, few and (b) took a stupid idea and imp,emerged it badly, with silky rules and rule changes.

The difference for PCC is, to me, (a) way more people already have or are considering a sub gun than have a handgun with a slide-mounted optic and (b) it's being pushed by the new pres instead of implemented by the old one.

We won't know until we try. If people want to shoot it they can, if not they don't. Carry Optics has a decent following in my area. Maybe 7-8 guys. It doesn't matter to me what other people shoot. It has absolutely zero effect on me in Production; same with the guys shooting Open or Limited. It doesn't slow anyone down, it doesn't cost any money, it means zero. We follow open shooters around with gun bags, we'll follow PCC shooters with their hard case; whatever. I look forward to it - at least so I can buy a PCC.
    A71593

User Tag List