Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbine

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    I haven't MD'd in a long time, so I'll defer to Josh on the logistical issues.
    My concerns are mostly caused by range limitation due to running a match in the single "bay" of an indoor range. I've run quite a few multigun and pistol only matches, and I don't think there is a way around long guns adding time to the match without compromising safety. Handguns in holsters provide a very nice bright-line rule for gun handling. Handguns don't come out of the holster unless in a safe area or under the direct supervision of an RO. This eliminates risks of gun handling behind the firing line and outside of RO supervision. The only way to provide this level of control with long guns would be to require long guns to be cased unless in the safe area or under direct supervision of an RO. Casing/uncasing will add time by itself and there will be more delays when a shooter doesn't realize he is on-deck and has to go get his case.

Here are some other issues that I've been thinking about:

Fixing a stage prop or unpasted target after "make ready" is more time consuming if the shooter has nowhere to put the PCC except in his hands.

CoF design needs to take into account people moving with long guns. It is much easier to get DQed while moving in certain ways with a long gun than a pistol. IME, most multigun matches are not nearly as strict about the 180 as long as the muzzle is pointed at the ground.

I also think the steel safe distance might need to be assessed with the increased velocity from PCCs.

The no-holster concern is a common one. When I started my two-gun matches it was probably the most-discussed item. What we came to was requiring slings that orient the gun muzzle-down, in front of the shooter, and chamber flags of a type approved by me (which were available for purchase at any match). This solution will clearly not be comforting to everyone, especially the "sporting" pistol shooter who only views his handgun as a football bat and has no further interest or experience with firearms. Other options/requests included the gun carts from $-gun (I believe the current MD of my old matches is allowing this now, I would not be were I running things), bags (time-consuming, as you mentioned), and rifle racks at the stage/bay (prompted arguments of muzzle up/down, cost, design, etc.). Post-make-ready repairs were handled the same as a pistol would be, safety on, let the gun hang, hands up.

As to movement, I see that as a shooter issue, but given the ever-shifting level of shooter proficiency that may not be sufficient. I never once gave it a second thought in designing two-gun stages, so I don't see it as a realistic issue. Of course, as you point out, we allowed muzzle-down-ish (low ready down, not straight down, although it happens).

Either way, all of these things to me (a) seem minor and (b) can happen with pistols just as easily as they can with PCCs. I've seen guys come to the line without guns and/or mags plenty of times. I've also seen them point their guns where they shouldn't be.

But, since one of the common complaints is that "nobody is going to shoot it", the impact tot he overall match time should be insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Sample of one, and just spit balling, but maybe the lube interfered with the blowback function.
    And maybe you live where it is cold?..

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And maybe you live where it is cold?..
    Often, but not this time, as it happened in Arizona.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Often, but not this time, as it happened in Arizona.
    I got snowed on at Ft Huachuca...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Lube always interferes with the blowback function; the cold weather creates more blowback issues but they're unrelated to the lube.

Last edited by Peally; 02-26-2016 at 09:10 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Peally;412385]Lube always interferes with the blowback function[\QUOTE]

I have heard this as well, especially in regard to rimfire semi autos, but why would this be the case?

I don't even know where the line between serious question and sexual innuendo is at this point, so I apologize.

All I'll say is I don't do the whole "rimfire" thing but to each his own
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

After consulting with A1 AD and President Foley we have added PCC as a provisional division to our upcoming Zion Classic match.

We will be sending a report back on anything we encounter that might impact the PCC appendix, match operations with PCC, and safety.

We have a fair amount of experience running PCC in other large matches (MG and Steel) so we feel we are a good guinea pig for this, and so off we go.Register below.

You are already in the match. You can change your division here:|

[url]https://practiscore.com/taran-tactical-innovations-2016-zion-classic

or add a second gun here:

[url]https://practiscore.com/taran-tactical-innovations-2016-zion-classic

Second guns will be approved in with a custom 1/2 price fee. Just indicate it is a 2nd gun in the comment box in the registration form.

We will be following the PCC rules as released in today's PCC appendix.

Regards,

Ken N.
    M.D.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post

My concerns are:
    - I don't think that PCC division will be very popular, and I think that it will bring in few or no new shooters.
    I have students, friends and colleagues who shoot USPSA. It has never been appealing to me. I would go to shoot PCC. So, I would be a new USPSA shooter if the division was available.

User Tag List