Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbine

Wonder if the JP shoots better as my first shots fired were a Bill drill with the GMR at 7 yards into about 3 inches in the A zone at 1.40 something.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think most of it was I had no idex with this type of weapon. I have like zero time on an AR. If I had a little bigger window for the red dot and a few weeks to dry fire I could probably run one to the level I imagined in my head.
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    My local range had an "outlaw" PCC match today - we are IDPA oriented so we essentially ran an IDPA match with pistol caliber carbines. Higher round counts than usual and longer ranges (still not much past 25 yards). 4 stages.

First stage 3 IDPA targets with majority of target masked as hard cover, 3 shots each from one side of wall then 3 more shots each from other side of wall with mandatory reload (started stage with 9 round mag) - quickly figured who did now know about sight vs bore offset. Stage 2 was kind of like a USPSA field course with about 20 rounds including small poppers and a swinging target (head shot only to be even more fun!). Stage 3 was another field course like stage with about 18 rounds. Stage 4 was higher round count - about 25 rounds - multiple firing positions and arrays, lots of hard cover and partial targets, and for a twist you only had a 20 round PCC mag so when you ran dry you had to transition to your pistol to finish the stage - fun stage.

Everyone had a good time. Most weapons were 9mm ARs, two AR in 300BO, two SIG MPX - one SBR and one 16inch, one MP5 SBR clone, one Beretta pistol carbine. All had red dots except one 300BO AR with a variable power scope. Several of the 9mm ARs were CMMG except I shot a Palmetto State Armory gun that I assembled for a "kit" - I bought a PSA 9mm AR upper with everything needed to finish the AR except stripped lower. I added the lower and finished assembly. Threw on a TASCO PDP3 dot I had left over from the stone ages of USPSA open. Cheap and it runs well with every cheap 9mm load I put through it.

I have been shooting a JP GMR-13 intermittently for a week or two. I started with a RMR, as I had one, but now am using a C More railway with a 6 Moa dot. Needed the TSK (tactical spacer kit), which is a small raiser, to get the C More high enough for my face. Have not formally benchmarked the RMR vs the C More, but anecdotally I like the larger, clearer display of the C More.

The JP is an attractive package. Mine has run without a stoppage. I removed the right side of the ambi safety, as it digged into the right side of my hand, with a high grip. Also changed the supplied butt stock and grip to a Magpul CTR and MOE+. Only thing I don't like about the JP, is the magazine release is flat, not raised, and has a stiff spring. Would like to improve this so as to be able to get the magazine out quicker. I discussed the JP with a local GM, who has been shooting PCC, and he is very high on the JP GMR-13 as a great choice for PCC.

I decided to drag the JP along to my two matches this weekend, and shoot it as a second gun and repeat the classifier, to start getting some match experience with it.

Here was my classifier on Saturday. I fumbled getting the mag out, but still managed to shoot 13A/1C and finish first overall in the match on this stage. (Open M there, but no GM)

Here was my classifier today, 11A/1C, and overall first in the match. (Open GM there).

My take away is I would really like to have a carbine in my hands, in a pistol fight.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would really like to have a carbine in my hands, in a pistol fight.
    Me too.

Nice shooting.
    C Class shooter.

I previously have shot a classifier in two matches, but today went all PCC, and shot the entire match PCC. Had great fun. Think the last time I shot a whole movement stage with a carbine was the three gun Nationals in the mid-90's. Here are a few stages, to give you a flavor. Greatly encourage those of you who keep a carbine around for sport or defense to check out USPSA PCC, as a great way to wring out the carbine at handgun distances.

Looks good GJM.
    Last edited by SLG; 11-27-2016 at 05:46 PM.

I shot PCC today and had a ball. Fun stage:

Another one:

https://youtu.be/JflwZCybb1U

If you are considering doing it, take the plunge, as it is great fun, and gives you a reason to shoot carbine.
    Last edited by GJM; 12-11-2016 at 05:13 PM.

Representing with the shirt, nice.

I thought I'd dig this back up...

PCC really seems to be taking off. Shannon Smith even opted for PCC at the 2017 Monster Match and again at the USPSA Florida Championship. He's a great stage designer and rangemaster and I'm following his experiment with great interest, and I think it will do a lot for the division to have his attention.

So a year since this thread was last active, what's the current hardware new-hotness? What's the current go-to? What's the current lowest-entry-bar? Are you seeing an uptick in interest in your area? Are you, yourself, increasingly interested?

User Tag List