Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbine

Pistol Caliber Carbine

From listening to the Practical Pistol Show I gather that the new USPSA president is pushing this. Ben seems opposed, but Matt Hopkins (who, unlike Ben, has actually tried it) seems in favor. Then yesterday I see 3 Gun Nation posting about the concept of the PCC.

Anyone have any opinions on this? I personally think it's great, and I'd love to be able to shoot. Y local USPSA matches with a PCC from time to time. I also think it's a good way to get more people involved, since so many folks seem to think that matters. But I think a lot of guys who wouldn't shoot a match with a pistol would jump in with a PCC, and with so many new options out on the market I think a lot of guys have them but don't have any real outlet to shoot them.

I am interested in seeing how this develops. Not so much to shoot carbine instead of pistol, but to shoot it in addition to pistol. I would like to be able to shoot a regular USPSA match with the handgun, and then be able to quickly repeat the stages with the carbine, for long gun proficiency.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm more interested in PCC than in any other division besides production. I am building a 9mm AR to hold me over until I can start running an MP5. I will use it as a proving ground to test and drive my skill with a carbine, which is an area I have neglected.

I am really interested to compare my performance with a PCC to my pistol performance. I have started dryfire practice with my old carbine in anticipation. I have been surprised to see that there is virtually no difference in times between pistol and rifle in any of the drills I've set up, including those with tight hallway movement, moving through doors, etc. I think it is fair to say that I am significantly more experienced with a pistol, but that there is a great deal of carryover in things like aggressive movement, driving to the target, vision speed, etc.

A few things about PCC that make me excited:

Minor Scoring, so I'll actually have to aim.
    Loading magazines to full capacity.
    The ability to shoot in volume using exactly the same ammo as I load for pistol.
    The chance to run around shooting stuff with a sbr'd and suppressed MP5K and feel like every action movie hero from the 90's.
    Name:  Tnd-mp5pdw2.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  28.2 KB
    TY83544

The very oddness of it makes it something I like. I hope this takes off.
    #RESIST

PCC in USPSA. Fashionably late isn't usually measured in decades.

No one uses a pistol caliber carbine by choice today for anything. Is it an ok sub caliber trainer? Sure, but only for the up close stuff.

Had they offered this division back when guys actually carried MP-5's and such, I would think it would have been better timing, at least from the P part of USPSA. Maybe not from the availability/AWB standpoint.

Either way, I think it will be fun to shoot, and I might have an MP-5/10 laying around that I could use:-)

Looks like minor scoring, so maybe I'll have to pull an MP-5 out instead.

Anyone know about optics?
    Last edited by SLG; 02-20-2016 at 12:13 PM.

I don't think it's meant to be relevant re:ninja shit. I don't think USPSA on the whole is meant to be relevant re:ninja shit.

It's fun. And while the subgun may not have a place in current ninja doctrine, there are a bunch of companies making new or retro versions in the last couple of years. So it's fun to be able to go out and shoot them.

Sub2000!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    PCC in USPSA. Fashionably late isn't usually measured in decades.

No one uses a pistol caliber carbine by choice today for anything. Is it an ok sub caliber trainer? Sure, but only for the up close stuff.

Had they offered this division back when guys actually carried MP-5's and such, I would think it would have been better timing, at least from the P part of USPSA. Maybe not from the availability/AWB standpoint.

Either way, I think it will be fun to shoot, and I might have an MP-5/10 laying around that I could use:-)

Looks like minor scoring, so maybe I'll have to pull an MP-5 out instead.

Anyone know about optics?
    I think the pistol Cal limit has more to do with range limitations. Lots of ranges have rules(legit or not) which prohibit the use of rifle calibers. A PCC can run on any current stage without regard to steel target or backstop design.

One of the local clubs has been allowing PCC for the past 6-12 months. Pretty popular. One negative is when a squad has 3-4 shooters shooting 2 guns it can really slow things down.

I think this begs for a decent Glock mag fed carbine. Especially with inexpensive Magpul extended mags available...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Sub2000!
    Lets operate! You deploy your sub2k from the skateboard pack of your choice, I'll deploy the MP5K from a suitcase.
    TY83544

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I think the pistol Cal limit has more to do with range limitations. Lots of ranges have rules(legit or not) which prohibit the use of rifle calibers. A PCC can run on any current stage without regard to steel target or backstop design.

One of the local clubs has been allowing PCC for the past 6-12 months. Pretty popular. One negative is when a squad has 3-4 shooters shooting 2 guns it can really slow things down.

I think this begs for a decent Glock mag fed carbine. Especially with inexpensive Magpul extended mags available...
    Pretty much this. PCC's can be run on USPSA stages as is, no changes needed. Additionally, they are a very popular sales item right now, and I suspect that trend will continue for a while. I'm not a fan of multiple entries at a match just from a flow perspective, but that has always been an MD decision.

Regarding the Glock mag carbine, it is definitely a great choice if you already shoot Glocks, though realistically you won't have much use for the standard capacity Glock mags you would normally use. The JP GMR-13 is the ready to race option right now, and I believe can be had in either Glock mag or Colt SMG mag (modified UZI). My 9mm AR is set up for Colt mags since they are reliable, had a reliable last round bolt hold open, and are inexpensive (20 a pop).
    TY83544

User Tag List