Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbine

Here is the decision tree:

1) I want to shoot factory ammo, buy the MPX.

2) I like to tinker and load, build an AR9.

3) I am willing to load but want a factory gun, buy a JP or Nordic.

4) my budget is low, buy a CZ or Palmetto equivalent.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    3) I am willing to load but want a factory gun, buy a JP or Nordic.
    Will they not run on factory ammo? Or is there potential that you'll only unlock by loading?

Site Supporter
    I am still enjoying my MPX Gen2 8inch SBR. It is OEM - no mods - and I have a Cmore dot on the rail. I use the factory skeleton folding stock but have an adapter with AR style buffer tube/stock also. No issues yet with a diet of Freedom Munitions 115FMJ and various steel case 115FMJ.

I also have an early generation PSA 16 inch 9mm PCC that has run well also but I have not pulled it out of the safe after I got the MPX and Sbr'd it.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Will they not run on factory ammo? Or is there potential that you'll only unlock by loading?
    Gamers' consensus is that factory flies out of those too fast and you get too much recoil. So, if placing high is important, you need a downloaded ammo.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Gamers' consensus is that factory flies out of those too fast and you get too much recoil. So, if placing high is important, you need a downloaded ammo.
    This.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Sounds like the power factor should be adjusted for PCC to what one can reasonably expect from factory loads in that barrel length.

Any consensus on the following?

I hear the Tavor X95 in 9mm is very reliable. (I just think it might be rather heavy)
    Oldy but one I always wanted. HK USC.
    I never liked the civy Kriss but playing with the select fire one enough leaves me wondering how well it does.

Site Supporter
    A few of the local PDs bought Marlin or Ruger or Colt 9mm carbines as a replacement for the shotgun back in the early 90s. All of the departments in our county have now replaced the carbines or shotguns with 5.56mm rifles of some variety. A few departments did go with the Ruger Mini-14 for cost reasons originally but to my knowledge everybody has been running AR platform guns for years.

I have one of the Colt R6430 9mm carbines that I bought in 1992. They are great fun to shoot, and I can shoot them on steel plates and on the local indoor range without fear of damaging the equipment. If I wanted to do the same practice with one of my regular ARs, I'd have to buy frangible ammo at $350 a case. So the carbine gets lots of use as a sub-caliber trainer. (I have a S&W AR-15/.22 I also use as a practice gun)

I have been shooting the Colt carbine in some local USPSA matches since last summer the Pistol Caliber Carbine Class. I know many guys who have recently done builds on AR type 9mm carbines and some that have purchased carbines of other configurations. They are very much enjoying researching which trigger group and compensator and which optic to put on their new projects and what bullet weight to use for reloading and all that. I’m just happy to shoot my entirely stock Colt 9mm with NATO spec ammo I buy when it's on sale.

Saturday's mission is to shoot the 9mm carbine on the new IDPA carbine classifier for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Any consensus on the following?

I hear the Tavor X95 in 9mm is very reliable. (I just think it might be rather heavy)
    Oldy but one I always wanted. HK USC.
    I never liked the civy Kriss but playing with the select fire one enough leaves me wondering how well it does.
    You saw that HK is releasing another run of the USC 45 right? It’s funny to me because this run is black in a time when grey is now the new black.

Interesting news! Have to check into it!

User Tag List