Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Charges Out-of-State LEO With Felony for Having His Legal Gun With Him

Site Supporter

NJ Charges Out-of-State LEO With Felony for Having His Legal Gun With Him

http://buzzpo.com/nj-charges-out-of-...-gun-with-him/

NJ Charges Out-of-State LEO With Felony for Having His Legal Gun With Him

A Pennsylvania corrections officer holding the rank of sergeant has been arrested and charged with a felony by New Jersey for having his legal gun with him.

Sgt. Ray Hughes had taken his wife to dinner in Atlantic City. He was driving home when he and his wife were hit by a drunk driver.

When police responded, they noticed his ‘Fraternal Order of Police’ decal and law enforcement credentials. Hughes explained that he had his weapon with him, and police officers assured him that they’d secure it and he could pick it up later at the station.

It wasn’t until a few days had passed that Sgt. Hughes received a phone call explaining that he was being charged with a felony punishable by 3-10 years in prison.

The arresting officer explained to Hughes that he was adamantly against arresting him, but the decision came from above his level of authority.
    Doea any one have further details on this or why he would not be covered under LEOSA?

I mean, besides the obvious that it is New Jersey ?
    Last edited by HCM; 02-19-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Would he qualify for LEOSA as a correctional officer? Do PA CO's have arrest authority outside the fence? Our state ones don't but they aren't considered LE at all so they aren't a good comparison.

Makes me wonder why he would turn his gun over to responding officers. Not a chance of that happening, under any circumstance.

Also, having bumper stickers that tell people you are a leo is just dumb, and these days, might cost you dearly.

My understanding is that to qualify for LEOSA you must have powers of arrest and PA CO's do not. So it doesn't surprise me that a NJ prosecutor would take advantage of this loop hole.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Also, having bumper stickers that tell people you are a leo is just dumb, and these days, might cost you dearly.
    FOP/PBA stickers and shields in/on car windows are common place in NJ and PA. Many spouses sport them for the obvious reasons.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

bad news for him... christie ain't in a pardoning mood anymore.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Are PA CO's authorized to carry off duty on their credentials or just via CHL?

Site Supporter

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    "When dealing with guns, the citizen acts at his peril." State of New Jersey v. Joseph Pelletier

If I dropped a $100 bill and it landed two feet inside the NJ state line, hufnagel or rsa-otc could have it.
    Last edited by Tamara; 02-19-2016 at 06:19 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Are PA CO's authorized to carry off duty on their credentials or just via CHL?
    The problem is that PA CO's don't have powers of arrest, which is a requirement of LEOSA.

CO's here do not but Probation / Parole officers do. I think is guy is screwed.

User Tag List