Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 152: Four Sevens

Week 152: Four Sevens

Week 152: Four Sevens

Results may be posted until March 19th, 2016.

Designed by: Unknown
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: IDPA or USPSA Metric Target
    Start Position: Holster (concealment optional)
    Rounds Fired: 14

Four Sevens is named for 7 shots, another 7 shots, at 7 yards, in 7 seconds.

Start with handgun holstered and loaded with exactly seven rounds. At start signal, draw and shoot six rounds to the lower A/-0 zone and one round to the head box (A/B zone), reload the gun, and shoot another six rounds to the lower A/-0 zone and one round to the head box (A/B zone.) Par time is seven seconds. Record your time and the number of hits you made (out of the fourteen possible) to the designated target zones.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Number of hits under the par time out of the 14 possible
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I ran this twice with my briefly owned G35 and it was mid 9's and not clean with several hits outside the IDPA -0 zone right at 12:00. Then twice with a G17 in 7.49 and then 7.13, again with a few misses at 12:00 above the IDPA -0 circle. All from OWB no concealment. Tough standard. Next time I'm trying a USPSA lower A zone.

More unrelated to the drill but the big impression was how much trouble I had riding that G35 (GSSF award). I was disappointed in my ability to manage it. I felt scorned so I traded it in against a new Sig 226 Navy.

This one is great fun.
    Last edited by JHC; 02-19-2016 at 12:31 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used): P226 .40, Red Nichols OWB holster, light fall jacket
    Number of hits under the par time out of the 14 possible : 5, then 6, then 8, then the wind stole it half way through the 4th attempt
    Anything you noticed: Shooting in 30mph wind gusts is more challenging. You'll note the target is still on the ground and still partially clipped to one of the target supports. The big rip down the front is from the other side of the target stand, I think.

My first attempt was trash-o-matic. I got off 7 shots but pushed two out of the "A" box to the right. The unfamiliar task of counting my rounds slowed me down and screwed me up a bit. Between the extra mental process and the time pressure I reverted to bad form and let the pistol buck off to the right.

My second attempt was better. I pushed one barely outside to the right and got the head shot at 5.76 but couldn't get reloaded in time to get any more shots in.

My third attempt I got back into the swing and had my form right. I don't think I'd do much better than this run. 9 shots, all hits, but one over time.

My forth attempt resulted in the target going bye-bye in the wind. I'd clipped two cardboards to the target stand holders to make it a bit more rigid in the wind, but it ripped the clip off one of the legs and took off with the other leg. It was actually kind of impressive, if not conducive to a good run on the drill.

+1 I really hate counting shots beyond 2.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I used to shoot this drill quite a bit and recently started shooting it again.

Glock 17, OWB
    USPSA target
    5.89; 13 As, 1 B
    I relaxed my focus on the second head shot.
    C Class shooter.

Well I have to say I am a bit embarrassed to post my results after Kevin B., but I will anyway.

Seems like a great drill that suits my needs right now. Even though it is an ammo hog, I think it will go in my regular rotation.

After running it I realized I didn't keep track the correct way e.i. how many rounds fired under the time limit, but total time.

G19 w/RMR, best run 9.88 with 1C.
    G17 w/I-dot pros best run 8.45 1C.
    G43 stock, best run 10.86 2C's.

For general reference:

A 1.5 draw + 5x.25 splits (1.25) + a .50 head shot + a 2.0 reload + 5x.25 splits (1.25) + a .50 head shot will give you a 7.0 run.

I am pretty sure this drill was built around those numbers.
    Last edited by Kevin B.; 02-20-2016 at 07:09 PM.
    C Class shooter.

Shooting this previously (posted above) gave me a good idea how there was no time to waste. Shot it once today after warming up with a mediocre 300 pt aggregate of 220.

Got on it fast with just indexing metal on meat to get to started.

Shot open carried OWB with a G17.

6.81 seconds with 2 C's missed to the right of the A zone.

I'll tend to shoot for between the armpits on a blank cardboard silo target which is a handicap for not using the full USPSA A zone. So I placed an index card in the lower third of the A zone to keep my focus lower than I'd naturally shoot it. Totally gaming it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/780361...posted-public/

Shot this again today, twice.

6.13; 14 As
    5.77; 13 As, 1 B

Still chasing a <6.0 run with 14 As...
    C Class shooter.

Gen3 G34, concealed in a Keeper under a polo shirt

Shot it twice - first time I spaced that there were headshots and did it wrong: 4.98, 12A 2C, all to the body.

Second time did it correctly:

5.35 seconds, 14A including the two head shots.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List