Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Sights (split from the Glock Picture Thread)

Pistol Sights (split from the Glock Picture Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Yep. Even though I've been in the night sight big dot game for a while these are very much like the new defoor sights except fiber.

Plus trying new stuff is fun.
    Honestly, I've been giving the whole "pistol sights" concept a lot of thought lately. After analyzing and researching and looking into this, that, and the other thing I recently stopped and thought "well, what are people using for BUIS on their rifles?". Looking into that, it seems the vast majority of people are using all black sights regardless of if they are using an optic or not. This then begs the question "do we simply put too much thought and stock into pistol sights?" I think the answer to that question, in general, is "yes". Given that whole thought process has basically led me to think that maybe I should just put Defoor sights on the next pistol that I get and not change anything until I get some actual low light training under my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Honestly, I've been giving the whole "pistol sights" concept a lot of thought lately. After analyzing and researching and looking into this, that, and the other thing I recently stopped and thought "well, what are people using for BUIS on their rifles?". Looking into that, it seems the vast majority of people are using all black sights regardless of if they are using an optic or not. This then begs the question "do we simply put too much thought and stock into pistol sights?" I think the answer to that question, in general, is "yes". Given that whole thought process has basically led me to think that maybe I should just put Defoor sights on the next pistol that I get and not change anything until I get some actual low light training under my belt.
    Having done a good bit of low/no light work with pistols I can tell you that not having a tritium dot on that front sight is a pain in the balls. Using an off-gun light source works well for this purpose, the "flashlight against the head" method works.

Tight and skinny front sights seem to work really well.

I think it's honestly a great control, even if you decide to go back to tritium or try fibers. I've had a great time shooting the Defoor sights on my newest G19, and I really like them.

I personally still like having the tritium at least up front on my carry gun, because I rarely wear a WML and won't always know that a fight will start and have my handheld light in hand. I agree with VDM that a handheld light with black sights works just fine for me in low light shooting, at least in my limited experience of 500-1000rds worth with them.

The bonus with the Defoor sights, aside from them being really inexpensive, is that the rear is good for most any other style of Ameriglo you want to stick up front. So you could spend $15 on a fiber front, too. And if you didn't like it grab a CAP, TCAP or pro-glo for $35-50 depending on sales.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I think it's honestly a great control, even if you decide to go back to tritium or try fibers. I've had a great time shooting the Defoor sights on my newest G19, and I really like them.

I personally still like having the tritium at least up front on my carry gun, because I rarely wear a WML and won't always know that a fight will start and have my handheld light in hand. I agree with VDM that a handheld light with black sights works just fine for me in low light shooting, at least in my limited experience of 500-1000rds worth with them.

The bonus with the Defoor sights, aside from them being really inexpensive, is that the rear is good for most any other style of Ameriglo you want to stick up front. So you could spend $15 on a fiber front, too. And if you didn't like it grab a CAP, TCAP or pro-glo for $35-50 depending on sales.
    Re: Defoor sights, I am exceedingly more accurate with Ameriglo's Defoor sights than I am the Trijicon HD sights I have on my EDC G19, but I much faster picking up the big green dot on the draw.

The Defoors have a 115 blade vs the HDs 142 so that would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    The Defoors have a 115 blade vs the HDs 142 so that would make sense.
    Yeah, I get the math aspect of it but math doesn't always predict performance 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Re: Defoor sights, I am exceedingly more accurate with Ameriglo's Defoor sights than I am the Trijicon HD sights I have on my EDC G19, but I much faster picking up the big green dot on the draw.
    Hooray for tradeoffs! I wonder though, if you were to paint a white stripe down the middle of the front sight on the Defoors and see if that improved your times? A little bit of great of both worlds?

Hooray for tradeoffs! I wonder though, if you were to paint a white stripe down the middle of the front sight on the Defoors and see if that improved your times? A little bit of great of both worlds?
    I painted the top 3-4 serrations on my Defoor front with bright neon model paint. It definitely decreased my first shot times, if I remember about 20%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I painted the top 3-4 serrations on my Defoor front with bright neon model paint. It definitely decreased my first shot times, if I remember about 20%.

Why not a fiber optic at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Why not a fiber optic at that point?
    It was more of an experiment to see how it worked for me than an absolute, this is it, sort of thing.

It didn't make much difference on following shots, but helped with my focus out of the holster.

User Tag List