Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry fire will get you killed in the streets

This thread reminds me of this thread.

Well I read the article and Pincus' FB posts with replies. In my opinion it has nothing to do with what Pincus wrote on his FB. If the article is to be believed then it translates to changing how one does dry fire. Pincus then makes an incorrect logic leap to say dry fire shouldn't be done. Which of course is pure horse pucky.

There is a lot of research that suggests that isolating a skill is useful to the totally new student. Once that skill has been learned to a certain degree then it is easier (such as hitting a plateau) to progress by mixing the same skill up. Context of a gunfight might simply be adding the side step to my dry fire draw stroke or having my training partner add two targets (shoot/don't shoot/two shoot/two no shoots) that I make a decision on before I even begin the draw. We could go on for pages with how to mix it up.

An interesting point is that when I started doing this, after a few weeks I went back and timed myself in isolation. I had slowed down. I have found that mixing it up and then going back to isolation keeps the times on standardized drills lower. Scientifically I believe that doing this makes me faster in FoF, drills and in a real gunfight. Doing it the Pincus way will help with decision making and recoil management but also make me slower on the draw/reload and everything else I train in dry fire. As common sense says, both are important.

From reading the FB responses he gives it seems that Pincus just doesn't want to dry fire and is looking for a way to rationalize not doing it.

Perhaps the man has a gun range in his backyard. Perhaps he shoots 5 days a week. All good reasons to have a very limited dry fire routine. But as I'm fond of saying, "Just because (insert famous gun celebrity) does it, doesn't mean I should do it." I think Pincus could learn a lot about being a good instructor by using that line with his students and himself. Other instructors would also stop suggesting he is an internet guru if he did.

I think reading the article he links to is a good idea. I think it can help a person mix up their dry fire. If anyone reads that article and thinks they should not dry fire, well I think they should read the article again.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    All this from a guy who can't shoot a respectable FAST drill. I guess the regimen of non- dry practice, coupled with running your spare mag bass ackwards, will pay dividends during real gunfights.

http://pistol-training.com/excluded-...-f-a-s-t-kinda
    LOL. That never gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Is there anything in particular that people do not like about what Rob Pincus? There seems to be a lot of animosity in general on the internet, but never figured out specifically why.

With regards to his comments on dry fire, I don't get it. He's basically arguing that lower volume of good quality reps trump volume of of bad quality reps.... but wouldn't correct dry fire give you higher volume of quality reps?

Also why does he run his mags backwards? I've only seen people do that with AR mags.
    I'm just spitballing but I'm guessing it's highly likely that he spews "wisdom" like this out of his ass on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Peally; 02-17-2016 at 07:22 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    This thread reminds me of this thread.
    I know which of these two I'd wanna take a class with.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    In other news, boxers shouldn't use punching bags and the driving range is a waste of time for golfers.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I know which of these two I'd wanna take a class with.

Okay in the interest of not bagging on a guy, Was Todd being diplomatic when he wrote the explanation? I can see if I did the drill well twice and then laughed and said, "Lets have some fun and get close to the record" and then had the wheels fall off. He clearly screwed the reload and then had fun with it. But still, maybe...
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    I think reading the article he links to is a good idea. I think it can help a person mix up their dry fire. If anyone reads that article and thinks they should not dry fire, well I think they should read the article again.
    This is right on. Dry fire, if done properly, is not just a rote repetition of movements your latest instructor told you to do. Sure, that is a part of getting better, but there is a significant range of skill beyond that to attain to. Most people do this wrong, whatever background they come from. The thing is, most people do live fire wrong too. The potential to screw up on a colossal scale is there whatever the format, but the barrier to at least giving things a shot is a lot lower in dry fire. Pardon the forum shill, but I was invited to a podcast yesterday and some of the discussion deals directly with the topic at hand. Disclaimer: the video is way too long, but I think serious shooters can derive some value from the topic.
    TY83544

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'd swear this pack of Dry Fire Training Cards I bought recently has one or three cards in there with drills from Rob.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'd swear this pack of Dry Fire Training Cards I bought recently has one or three cards in there with drills from Rob.
    Guaranteed to improve your shooting by 300%!!!!!!
    TY83544

User Tag List