Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry fire will get you killed in the streets

Dry fire will get you killed in the streets

From Rob Pincus's Facebook page yesterday. I knew he didn't like timers and advocated bullets backwards carry, but didn't know he was against dry fire, too.

Name:  RPdryfire1.JPG
Views: 1405
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  RPdryfire2.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  61.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 02-17-2016 at 03:39 PM.

I'm not tracking.

Everything up to just before the BANG is identical. And that's a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I'm not tracking.
    Ol' Robby has that effect. At first look it seems he decided to create a sacred cow for attention and publicity. Some guys at my local range are way, way into the CFS kool-aid so I'm sure I'll hear more about it Saturday.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Isn't this the same dude that blindly fires X number of carry rounds into a back stop before he claims a pistol is "good to go" for carry? I'm sure that is much better than spending time working in skill during dry fire. And isn't he the same dude that uses a crossbreed appendix holster? And claims a crossbreed is a good carry holster in general?

I see a trend here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Thanks God I don't follow any tactical gurus... where has common sense gone? Next thing, unless you train with sharp knives and real bullets, force on force, you are cheating yourself.

Don't really know Pincus so I'm only guessing. If all you do is dry fire you get into a routine. Draw, aim, fire, manually cycle slide, holster. If you do that in a defensive shooting you might be dead cause the 1 round you fired before reholstering may not have done the job. Is it a real fear? I don't know. I am however a proponent of practicing as many aspects of defensive shooting as possible. If you dry dire, run training exercises during live fire, maybe shoot a match or 6 to raise stress levels you're better off. Maybe that is what he was getting at.

Good ol' Pinky.

Sure I would love to live fire instead of dry firing but for those of us on limited budgets dry fire is a great, and if I may say necessary, activity to shooting more accurately and more controlled. I think there is enough evidence on this forum alone to prove more dry practice improves your live fire results.

It must be nice to get paid to shoot all day long.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post

It must be nice to get paid to shoot all day long.

Why yes, yes it is:-) And even then, I did a lot of dryfire and developed a dry fire program for guys just coming in to my unit. Is Dryfire perfect? Of course not. Neither is any other kind of training.

Um... What? What the hell is Pincus even talking about?
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List