Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Wadcutter effectiveness

OK Thank you. I knew there were problems but I didn't know exactly what they were. Did they ever make these revolvers from the factory with the XS sights and the deep rear U sight?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Titanium is a rather strange metal; incredibly strong, yet at the same time very weak in some regards.

The way S&W handles this is apply a heavy duty clear coat of some sort to the part. This prevents the ti from being eroded... Usually. There have been a few instances where it didn't; right on this forum, as a matter of fact.

The stainless steel, heavy duty, tough-as-nails chamber brush, that Brownell's offers will strip that clear coat out of the charge holes in the cylinder in no time. And then, continued firing will start erosion in the front end of the charge holes. IOW, bad juju.

Moral of the story; use a nylon or soft BRONZE brush to clean the charge holes in a ti cylinder. Brass can breach that clear coat too. Best idea... Don't shoot lead bullets in those critters. Jacketed bullets don't leave as much mess to clean.

Last edited by UNK; 09-18-2016 at 07:52 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Did they ever make these revolvers from the factory with the XS sights and the deep rear U sight?
    No clue. All I've ever seen on NIB Ti-Scan Js (M-360/m-340/M-342) has been standard rear notches, and either a Baughman front blade with red insert or one of those red or green "hi-viz" light tube things. My 342 has an XS Big Dot, but the guy who had it before me put it on.

It really doesn't do any good, as far as I am concerned. Some folks are enthused by them, though.

Wadcutter effectiveness

Titanium is a rather strange metal; incredibly strong, yet at the same time very weak in some regards.

The way S&W handles this is apply a heavy duty clear coat of some sort to the part. This prevents the ti from being eroded... Usually. There have been a few instances where it didn't; right on this forum, as a matter of fact.

The stainless steel, heavy duty, tough-as-nails chamber brush, that Brownell's offers will strip that clear coat out of the charge holes in the cylinder in no time. And then, continued firing will start erosion in the front end of the charge holes. IOW, bad juju.

Moral of the story; use a nylon or soft BRONZE brush to clean the charge holes in a ti cylinder. Brass can breach that clear coat too. Best idea... Don't shoot lead bullets in those critters. Jacketed bullets don't leave as much mess to clean.

Meant to say bronze, not brass. It's the pro shot brush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 09-18-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Meant to say bronze, not brass. It's the pro shot brush
    Got it, thanks. They work better than nylon or plastic, that's for sure.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    OK Thank you. I knew there were problems but I didn't know exactly what they were. Did they ever make these revolvers from the factory with the XS sights and the deep rear U sight?
    Nyeti and I have M&P 340s with no lock, U notch rears and XS tritium fronts. Great little revolvers! If I'm not mistaken, they came from GR Tactical.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 09-20-2016 at 12:04 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I just bought one of those locally. I hope they make a 360 M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Nyeti and I have M&P 340s with no lock, U notch rears and XS tritium fronts. Great little revolvers! If I'm not mistaken, they came from GR Tactical.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Just got an email notification that Georgia Arms 148gr wadcutters are back in stock. $13.50/50 Pretty good deal seeing as how I just bought a box of Remington wadcutters for double that

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Just got an email notification that Georgia Arms 148gr wadcutters are back in stock. $13.50/50 Pretty good deal seeing as how I just bought a box of Remington wadcutters for double that
    PrecisionDelta is $232/1000. Smokier than the Federal Match stuff but great price too. It's been a while since I shot the Georgia Arms so I can't compare it to the PD.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Yeah, but those have stainless cylinders, right? IOW, they're about three ounces heavier than a Ti-Scan J "AirLite"?

Site Supporter
    Yeah, but those have stainless cylinders, right? IOW, they're about three ounces heavier than a Ti-Scan J "AirLite"?

That's correct, Steve.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List