Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching to Plated Bullets

Switching to Plated Bullets

I'm thinking about switching to plated bullets from FMJs to save some $/per round. I don't see a lot of load data out there for plated bullets. What do people here do, go with hard cast lead data? Start on the low end of FMJ data, work up slow and watch for pressure signs?

I've been using this outfit for a few years, local Texas company.

Here is a link to their facts page it will answer some of your questions.

http://precisionbullets.com/faq/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If we're talking pistol bullets, I just load them at about 75% max of FMJ loads and have never had problems. If you're talking rifle, outside my area of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If we're talking pistol bullets, I just load them at about 75% max of FMJ loads and have never had problems. If you're talking rifle, outside my area of experience.
    Sorry should have been more specific, just talking pistol ammo here.

In 9mm all I have shot for the last 6 years is CamPro plated. They are thicker than most other plated bullets, and I use the same load data as I would for jacketed.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Berry's HBTP (hollow base thick plated) have been tested to 1500fps in some loads according to the manufacturer. I've had no problem running close to max loads (still minor power though) with either the Berry's or Xtreme JHPs. I buy either depending on cost and availability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Start on the low end of FMJ data, work up slow and watch for pressure signs?
    That's what I do. I've been pretty happy with Rainier and Berry bullets.
    Last edited by JV_; 02-17-2016 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    That's what I do. I've been pretty happy with Rainier and Berry bullets.
    Same here. I've put a lot of Ranier bullets down range from Glocks and SIGs, no problem with either.

For a starting load, split the difference between cast and jacketed bullet data., i.e. if cast data says 3.2gr and jacketed is 3.8, 3.5gr is a good place to start.

You might also want to consider coated bullets. I made the switch to them from plated shortly after I started competing seriously and couldn't be happier. In my comparison with plated bullets they were: cheaper, more accurate, slightly higher velocity for the same charge, and more available. I mostly only care about the price and accuracy, given the volume I shoot and the need for precision.

Full disclosure. I shot enough of them and liked them enough to accept a sponsorship from my local manufacturer. Leatherhead Bullets is a great place to look, and offer some good bulk discounts. One nice thing about coated bullets is that there is probably a manufacturer near your area, so you may be able to avoid shipping costs if going that route.
    TY83544

User Tag List