Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SP2022 9mm

SP2022 9mm

Just finished testing out and qualifying with the new toy...a Sigpro.

Not to drag things out, since I'm not paid by the word, but a few points are worth discussing:

Point of Aim: The manual says cover the target with the front sight. That was effective until I started using 147 grainers. At twenty yards, there was a three-inch shift in point of impact.

Prior SIG experience: My first modern combat handgun was a West German P226. That thing ate anything I could put in it, and liked to put most of its rounds into one small hole. My next SIGS were P220's and P228's. They were all accurate. The SP2022 had a surprise waiting for me.

I routinely load with 147 grainers for social work. However, the SP2022 wasn't at all interested in a heavy diet. It did love some 124 +P in HST, putting three rounds out of five into a one-inch group. This was at twenty yards. I wonder if its affinity for middleweight ammo was a consequence of SIG making the SP for the French, who are using +P Gold Dot.

Trigger Pull: Many fans of the modern pistol are hung up on trigger reset. I can understand that; people want as little disruption to the sight picture as possible. That is optimum in a match gun. The SP2022 was meant as a threat management tool. In that role, it shines. You have to make the conscious decision to fire a subsequent round, even in single action mode. This is not a bad thing in a world afflicted by lawyers.

Overall function: This pistol is new production, and it worked without a hitch. Firing, extraction, ejection and chambering were all flawless, as were magazine changes. There were no readily visible tool marks.

Summation: Overall, this pistol is in the same class as my old P228, but with a much longer life cycle. The only real negatives are that holster options are more limited than for the P228/229 family, and there are far fewer aftermarket parts. But, if you were to pick one DA pistol that worked out of the box without modifications, and didn't cost you a tuition payment, this one would be a solid choice.

I should add that this was my response to my newest G19 Gen4 giving me the ol' BTF love.

Sigpros are good guns. They've repeatedly played to some good reviews here. Not my personal first choice (and I've owned one previously a 2340 with both ,40 and .357 SIG barrels), but a very good gun nonetheless.

Best, Jon

Too choice for a TDA that won't break the bank. I regret selling my two.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Very good gun...for any price, but especially for the one they sell at.

Not that I'd buy a set of them with gear and accessories to replace any of my current hardware, but they're solid guns.

SP2022 is my current carry gun. I prefer the small grips to those on the 229 or 228. Mine is a US made gun and shoots Gold Dot 124 +P into 1.5" at 20 yards, POA=POI. For kydex holsters, either JM Custom Kydex or Overwatch holsters can take care of you.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I've owned more SIGs than I can readily remember off the top of my head. The 2022 impresses me even before taking price into account and I would rather shoot it than a stock 226, 228, or 229. Probably not a great choice for people who find "trigger reset" and "high bore axis" worthwhile things to complain about, but for the rest the pistol is pretty much good to go out of the box, with the exception of the sights. They're a standard 3-dot setup but unlike every other set of factory 3-dot sights I've used, when the tops of the front and rear sights are lined up, the dots are NOT, which I could ignore easily enough, but that results in shooting some 6 inches high at 50 feet. Proper sight picture (on mine anyhow) is line the dots up, target halved at the top of the front sight. My M11A1 was the same way and it's annoying as hell.

Finding holsters for SIGs tend to suck no matter what. Between all the variants of 2022, 228/229, their 1911s, the 239's goofy trigger guard.. sheesh. Blade-Tech, Crossbreed, Alien Gear.. ordered a JMCK "George" last night (first foray into AIWB so this might go up for sale here in a few months), but ten week lead time.

Also not sure how easy they are to break down compared to the "real" SIGs. If anybody could point me towards a decent disassembly guide that'd be great.
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 02-16-2016 at 10:02 PM.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Breakdown is the same as any gen 1, 2, or 3 S&W, or HiPower, 1911, CZ, etc with a slide stop that acts as the assembly pin: press the assembly pin from right to left, pull it out from the let side, and run the slide assembly off the frame. You may have to put the slide in a particular position in its operational range to disassemble/assemble the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Breakdown is the same as any gen 1, 2, or 3 S&W, or HiPower, 1911, CZ, etc with a slide stop that acts as the assembly pin: press the assembly pin from right to left, pull it out from the let side, and run the slide assembly off the frame. You may have to put the slide in a particular position in its operational range to disassemble/assemble the weapon.
    Oops, when I said break down I meant complete disassembly/detail strip. My bad, I should've been less vague
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Oops, when I said break down I meant complete disassembly/detail strip. My bad, I should've been less vague
    Well, then! I have no idea. :/

Site Supporter
    I rented a 2022 at the range today when I saw they had one in the case after seeing this thread. Nice pistol. The trigger required some getting used to as I've become very accustomed to striker fired. The 2022 was comfortable, accurate, and reliable though. I'd consider picking one up and have been considering adding my first Sig to my collection but was thinking more along the lines of a 226.

User Tag List