Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodworkers and Wood Shops

Either find a good used OLD Delta Unisaw or go with a Grizzly cabinet saw. I got luck and found one that was in a vo-tech. I did some work on it, and it's ready for another 50 years or so.

Name:  IMG_0554.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  32.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0600.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  54.1 KB

It’s here!

Name:  326C677F-8020-4903-8179-F9376B4A772B.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  54D7F7C1-F261-47B6-8CAD-FE043D4819E6.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  30.6 KB

Got the saw up on the rolling base. Electrician will be here tomorrow to do some other work, including changing out all of the lights for LED, and I'll be able to figure out what I need to do to get my 240v for the saw, and hopefully some other power.

Name:  Saw on Base.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  35.7 KB

More importantly, I got a project done, which consists of a clothing rack for our guesthouse. You can see more of it at this link.

Name:  In Situ.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  19.5 KB
    Last edited by rob_s; 02-26-2018 at 03:23 PM.

What lights are you going with? I'm debating on full LED for the shop area and limited heat garage (winters...).
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I don't even know. I got so tired of the lighting rabbit hole. I'm doing whatever the electrician shows up with.

I do know that we're doing ballast bypass and re-wiring the existing fixtures. The ceilings are 16-18' high so they have to bring in a lift.

Site Supporter
    Living the dream. Nice work on the clothing rack.

One day it will be just me and the garage and a table saw all day after shooting guns in the morning.

Saw is up and running. Currently 1mm out on a 6"x6" square plywood cut. I'd like it to be more better but I can work on it. The cuts on this saw are so much more easier and less freakish than they were on the Ridgid contractor saw. Definitely worth 2x the price already.

First startup.

1mm on a 6 x 6 inch cut? Not bad from straight off the crate. How thick was the plywood stock, and was it the stock blade?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Saw is up and running. Currently 1mm out on a 6"x6" square plywood cut. I'd like it to be more better but I can work on it. The cuts on this saw are so much more easier and less freakish than they were on the Ridgid contractor saw. Definitely worth 2x the price already.

First startup.

Run some more cuts checking it with the blade at varying heights. The Grizzly hybrid saws have a history of the trunnion moving out of alignment at different heights (only on the hybrids). I really hope Grizzly got this problem lined out, it's the one reason I went with a full blown cabinet saw. I just got lucky finding my Unisaw as I was fixing to drive up to the MO and pick up a G1023.

Wow! I just looked and their prices have really went up in the last couple of years. I really like most of Grizzly's stuff.
    If yours is that accurate at various blade heights I'd consider it fine and that saw should last you a good long time.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 03-04-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    1mm on a 6 x 6 inch cut? Not bad from straight off the crate. How thick was the plywood stock, and was it the stock blade?
    1/4” plywood. And that was after squaring the blade to the slot and then the fence to the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Run some more cuts checking it with the blade at varying heights. The Grizzly hybrid saws have a history of the trunnion moving out of alignment at different heights (only on the hybrids). I really hope Grizzly got this problem lined out, it's the one reason I went with a full blown cabinet saw. I just got lucky finding my Unisaw as I was fixing to drive up to the MO and pick up a G1023.

Wow! I just looked and their prices have really went up in the last couple of years. I really like most of Grizzly's stuff.
    If yours is that accurate at various blade heights I'd consider it fine and that saw should last you a good long time.
    Yeah they have an annual price increase. I could have gotten this saw for ~$300 less 3 months ago.

I’ve heard about the trunnion issues and my next plan of attack is to check that as well. This is a pretty new design for them so I’m hoping it’s been addressed. I’ve not read of those issues with this model.

User Tag List