Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Grip Strengthening

BWT,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

I hurt my hand years ago on the Captains of Crush #1.5. I ceased using them and my hand recovered in a week or so, but I was scared enough of the Captains that I didn't use them again for years. I already had tendinitis when that happened.

Getting over the tendinitis (I feel like I am almost completely over it) seemed like a matter of time, continuing to do dry and live fire as much as I could, massage, and stretching. Also, getting the Thera Band Flex Bar over a year ago also felt like it made a huge difference. Since December 2014 I have been doing the exercises recommended for both medial and lateral epicondylitis, to both arms. Three sets of fifteen, both arms, both sides of elbow on each arm, about five days a week. My subjective sense is that this single thing is the biggest factor in reducing my tendinitis and keeping it at bay. And not doing draw practice for literally hours at a time. That feels helpful too.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever consulted a doctor about tendinitis. I learned the exercises I am doing from this video:

I've resumed using the Captains of Crush (allure of moar grip strength...) but am trying to be very very careful. Been doing one or two sessions per week with the T and #1, with both hands. I stretch hands and arms before and after. About 5 repetitions each hand with the T, which feels very easy. And then up to 5 repetitions with the #1 (so far have been mostly cutting these short by a rep or two, and accepting reps where I don't get it fully closed.) Plus the green Thera Band Flex Bar about five days a week as discussed. Stretching and massage to hands and forearms almost daily. And once or twice a week, I put a plain old rubber band around my fingers and hold them open.

Since it sounds like you have an actual problem, I think you should do better than I did and probably go consult an actual doctor.

Good luck!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    And not doing draw practice for literally hours at a time. That feels helpful too.
    ^ this. I now keep the sessions varied/light/stretch my hands out. I also do PT work for my shoulders (they're super super tight) while I dry fire.

Great info, BTW. I read all the words.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I've resumed using the Captains of Crush (allure of moar grip strength...) but am trying to be very very careful. Been doing one or two sessions per week with the T and #1, with both hands. I stretch hands and arms before and after. About 5 repetitions each hand with the T, which feels very easy. And then up to 5 repetitions with the #1 (so far have been mostly cutting these short by a rep or two, and accepting reps where I don't get it fully closed.) Plus the green Thera Band Flex Bar about five days a week as discussed. Stretching and massage to hands and forearms almost daily. And once or twice a week, I put a plain old rubber band around my fingers and hold them open.
    I'm not an expert on grippers but I found that just 1 rep for time was a lot easier on my fingers than reps and almost as effective. Once I got to 60 seconds I was ready to move up to the next gripper. When I got to the 1.5 I started doing a two hand release and that really cut down on the pain in my ring and pinky fingers.

I shifted away from the CoC grippers and just focus on farmers walks. Pinch gripping plates or dumbbells give you the benefit of forearm and grip strength as gravity tries to open your hands as well as shredding your shoulders and back which transfer into smashing something between your hands. If you dont do them, give them a shot; I have noticed much more difference as opposed to trying to stick to the CoC workout. I still keep a .5 in my desk at work but use it as more as a de-stressor and skin hardener.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I am also not an expert, but here's my strategy for what it's worth. I only do grip strength exercises after back or arm workouts, when everything is warmed up. I'll usually do a warm-up set with CoC #T for ten reps, then use bands for extensions, ten reps. Then I'll do three sets for ten reps, as high as I can go on the CoCs. If I can't close all the way, I'll use my other hand to close the gripper, and do negatives for those reps. Gripper sets are followed with extension sets.

I cannot use the grippers more than twice a week, or I'll start developing tendinitis. I'll usually just do once a week. Right now, I'm within coughing distance of closing CoC #2 with my dominant hand, and can close CoC #1.5 with my non-dominant.

I have also used the Thera Band Flex Bar, and it's awesome. Absolutely worth the $30 off Amazon.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I went down the same path and found that the theory works out better on paper than in real life.
    I don't know what this means.

Either a strong-ass grip is optimal for shooting or it's sub-optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    Totally agree. I have significantly compromised grip strength in my right hand and it does not impact my shooting significantly.
    I don't know what this means, particularly the "significantly" qualifier. Can you quantify it for us?

Quote Originally Posted by wtturn View Post
    I don't know what this means, particularly the "significantly" qualifier. Can you quantify it for us?
    For reference, the grip strength in my right hand is limited to the extent that I cannot hang from a vertical rope. When I last saw an occupational therapist, he equated the strength in my right hand to that of a ten-year old.

The only time my (lack of) grip strength is an issue for me is with a heavy-recoiling, lightweight firearm. Magnum J-frames and a Glock 30 with Federal 230-grain +P HST will torque in my hand due to my weak grip.

Truthfully, the compromised mobility in my trigger finger is probably a bigger issue than my grip strength when it comes to fast splits and neither has kept me from running splits in the high teens to an A-zone at 7-10 yards.
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by wtturn View Post
    I don't know what this means.

Either a strong-ass grip is optimal for shooting or it's sub-optimal.
    I think there's a little bit of middle ground in there. At one point I thought that a high crush grip strength was a really important in terms of fitness and shooting. When I started I could close a COC no 1 (100lb) gripper with little problem and worked my up to a No. 2 (195lb). My shooting did not improve at all. I was trying to out muscle the gun and it's just not possible. Later I learned sight tracking, that really opened the door to recoil management and my shooting really started to improve.

Once you can grip a pistol tight enough that you don't lose your grip under recoil what does gripping it tighter actually do to improve your shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    My shooting did not improve at all. I was trying to out muscle the gun and it's just not possible. Later I learned sight tracking, that really opened the door to recoil management and my shooting really started to improve.
    Let's not conflate technique with strength, or vice versa.

Strength is contributory to the execution of good technique.

"Muscling" the gun is poor technique and irrelevant to the issue of hand strength.

I'm not sure what the relationship between sight tracking and your perceived improvement in recoil management means.

Once you can grip a pistol tight enough that you don't lose your grip under recoil what does gripping it tighter actually do to improve your shooting?
    I don't suppose it improves it at all, if you are doing stand-and-shoot stuff, or bullseye or something. It may be beneficial, even.

But if you're running and gunning and shooting fast, then a strong grip is going to reduce muzzle rise and return the sights faster out of recoil. It's going to reduce the possibility of shifting or losing the grip while running or if something bumps the gun. It's going to allow me to retain the gun if somebody tries to take it from me.
    Last edited by wtturn; 02-16-2016 at 07:00 PM.

User Tag List