Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Healthy Grip Strengthening

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    I haven't had serious elbow issues yet, but some things in that last post I feel like commenting on.
    Do you lift weights?

Quote Originally Posted by wtturn View Post
    Do you lift weights?
    No. My workout routine has been focused on pushups and pullups. Recently, I started adding a weight vest into that mix. I say "serious" because I have noticed some almost imperceptible elbow soreness as the weight is piling up on my pushups/pullups.

No. My workout routine has been focused on pushups and pullups. Recently, I started adding a weight vest into that mix. I say "serious" because I have noticed some almost imperceptible elbow soreness as the weight is piling up on my pushups/pullups.
    I've lifted for decades. Not really heavy as I'm not real strong but nevertheless, push ups are pretty much over for me. For some reason they hurt my right elbow worse than just about any other pushing movement. Somewhat better if using those handles instead of flattening the hand to the ground.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Your fingers are weak and your "pec crush" is ineffective because YOU are weak. Not trying to bust your balls, but IMO you're missing the fundamental problem behind your shooting and physical woes.

Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...rting+strength

Get strong.

Profit.

Can someone explain the "pec crush"?

I'm assuming its when, in addition to grip, you force your hands towards each other as hard as possible. I've tried that and for me it worked OK in a stand and slow fire shoot situation (think bullseye), but in a run and gun USPSA type COF it was counter productive.

Am I missing anything?

Some great insight in this thread, been struggling with chronic hand, forearm, elbow issues for years.
    Last edited by Cheap Shot; 02-18-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post

I'm assuming its when, in addition to grip, you force your hands towards each other as hard as possible. I've tried that and for me it worked OK in a stand and slow fire shoot situation (think bullseye), but in a run and gun USPSA type COF it was counter productive.

Am I missing anything?

Some great insight in this thread, been struggling with chronic hand, forearm, elbow issues for years.
    You're correct. Think of a chest fly machine at the gym. Now pretend there's a pistol in between the handles.

Name:  machine-fly-exercise.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  39.3 KB

This technique does indeed reduce mobility and introduce unwanted tension in the shoulders/traps/arms.

Quote Originally Posted by wtturn View Post
    Your fingers are weak and your "pec crush" is ineffective because YOU are weak. Not trying to bust your balls, but IMO you're missing the fundamental problem behind your shooting and physical woes.

Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...rting+strength

Get strong.

Profit.
    ...Duh. If you think I don't know this, then you don't know me

If I had the schedule time and the money, I'd be getting coached in olympic style lifting right now. But alas, I don't, and what I'm doing is the best I can do right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post

Am I missing anything?

That's it. Using your body, i.e. pecs, to grip the gun. Works better if you have more upper body strength, which I do not.

If you want to increase hard/grip strength and endurance, learn to use kettle bells .... Correctly. There are tons of people teaching them now , but not necessarily correct.
    Not only will this assist in curing your grip problem but it will add to your overall fitness. The better the shape, usually the better you'll get at shooting. I would recommend seeing a Dr. first about the elbow pain, or several weeks of rest. Then start a solid program.

Great thread. I'm new here and ran across this as my first topic. I've been lifting for years and recently started adding in Fat Grips and CoC for grip work. Despite knowing better I wound up with "itis" in both elbows.

I've found Kelley Starrett's voodoo floss technique to work well for me, but it does require a second person to do it correctly.

Last edited by Newportl; 03-11-2016 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling

User Tag List