Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "This old gun" question: anyone know anything about this Argentine 1911?

Site Supporter
    I had one back in the late eighties. I talked to an old gunsmith named ken hallock. He told me those 1911 were good. as good as those made during wwii and better than the low cost 1911 of the time. It shot better than the 1911's my uncles used in vet nam. The only problem I had was the hammer spur broke off during dry fire. It was an easy fix but I still used it till I got a new hammer. Cool old gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Man, I'd overhaul the crap out of that gun...

That said, I like a nice "sleeper" and I think all that ought to be done should be a front sight dovetail cut, a 10-8 rear, overhaul the lockwork by cutting the sear/hammer angles with a proper jig or replacing with a retro style hammer, new thumb safety and of course a hard fit Kart match grade barrel.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    That said, I like a nice "sleeper" and I think all that ought to be done should be a front sight dovetail cut, a 10-8 rear...
    For minimally-invasive sight replacements, I've used wide-tenon Trijicons before, and that's what Bobbi put on her Sistema.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In person I'm getting better about buff jobs and re-blues, but how can you guys tell for sure from an internet photo? I always assume the lighting is doing weird things, given that some colors look totally different in various pics posted on line.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    For minimally-invasive sight replacements, I've used wide-tenon Trijicons before, and that's what Bobbi put on her Sistema.
    Yeah...the only reason I haven't shelled out the bucks for a front sight staking tool is because after all the cost involved with that, it's cheaper to get to a smiff and have them mill the slide, then hit it with a lil cold blue...

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    In person I'm getting better about buff jobs and re-blues, but how can you guys tell for sure from an internet photo? I always assume the lighting is doing weird things, given that some colors look totally different in various pics posted on line.
    Edges and corners are the biggest giveaways. Another strong giveaway is the "dished" appearance on the rollmarks and s/n's.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Yeah...the only reason I haven't shelled out the bucks for a front sight staking tool is because after all the cost involved with that, it's cheaper to get to a smiff and have them mill the slide, then hit it with a lil cold blue...
    You'd have to spend time hogging out the hole anyway, so if you've got a guy local who'll do dovetails reasonably, that's probably just as well.

As the mistress of the gun stated you can't unring the bell.

Mine made it through about 4,000 rounds of mil-ball before the slide cracked...I don't know the round count before in landed in my hands.

Site Supporter
    For all the faults it has, Illinois has no shortage of fairly awesome smiffs...SACS, TK Custom, Canyon Creek and Alchemy Custom are a couple that come immediately to mind.

Love that ground down GS & tang and the bobbed hammer spur.

Name:  sistema1.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  51.4 KB
    Last edited by Tamara; 02-15-2016 at 09:52 PM.

User Tag List