Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for some new ear pro? Help and recommendations needed please.

For me, I have Sordins because I like taking classes. Classes are always outdoors, always with pistols, and never around dumb loud guns, for me. At a class, where I'm going to be wearing the ear pro for ten to twelve hours, and I really don't want to be That Guy that forces the instructor to stop before a demo while you put your ears on, the crazy comfortable Sordins are worth the premium. I can hear the instructor more clearly and am less distracted by side chatter than with Peltors or pro ears. I've never felt the need to plug under them.

At the range, I prefer to wear the highest rated passives I could find (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/783...uffs-nrr-30-db). I only wear them for a couple hours and I don't have to use plugs with them. It would seem like a real waste to me to use my Sordins inside.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Looking at the specs, I don't think that any of the electronic muffs sold for shooting use active noise cancelling. Active noise cancelling works well for repetitive noise, like aircraft engines, but is difficult to do for impulsive noise.

As I understand it, most electronic ear pro circuits amplify sounds below a threshold level, and roll off louder sounds. They don't add any reduction to the passive value of the muff.
    That amplifying the lower frequencies is why I can't wear ear muffs at all. I tried a set a long time ago and they didn't work out and I stuck with foam earplugs (PITA in a class setting) for years. A few weeks ago I was troubleshooting a malfing Glock at a shop that has an indoor range. The range was crowded and we were just going back out for a mag or two so I popped on a set of their loaner earmuff, and I had to run out of there literally in agony from the amplification of the muffs.

Mine turn down to where there is no magnification of the sound, sounds just like it does with no muffs. I bet they are even a little quieter than no muffs.
    i used to wannabe

More info on ear pro options / cost trade off here. As someone, uh, familiar with acoustic signal processing, this info rings pretty true to me:

https://trevoronthetrigger.wordpress...ronic-ear-pro/
    Last edited by RJ; 02-24-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Wow, that guy is the only other person that recognizes how poorly the HL Impact Sports seal. I thought I was completely alone in that observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    He used to be a member here.

does anybody have any experience with the soundgear in-the-canal ear pro?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    Wow, that guy is the only other person that recognizes how poorly the HL Impact Sports seal. I thought I was completely alone in that observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope, they don't seal for most people. The deal generally opens in the back and doesn't always cause an issue but the Sordins are just better. I won't be a cheap fuck when it comes to hearing, sorry. I've not known anyone to try both and go back to the Impacts without a change.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List