Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Get Off Me" Tools

"Get Off Me" Tools

Recently I have been developing a line of "Get Off Me" Tools. They have been received quite favorably and so far I have only released 2 of the 5 designs I'm currently working on. The 3rd design was featured in a destructive testing video series that was uploaded to YouTube this afternoon. It's the first to be done in G-10. So far the others have been done in O1 tool steel.
    Here are some quick pics of N0.1 and No.2
    The 3rd pic is a carbon fiber "pencil" that was also received well but I'm debating whether it belongs in this category or not. At the moment I'm thinking it does.

Grinder Monkey, CEO and Janitor at FLC Knives.
    Follow us on Facebook and Instagram!

Woah, back up the train. A carbon fiber pencil? That is freaking awesome!

Not knowing zip about materials science (but I've watched a lot of carbon fiber nose cones shatter on TV in Formula 1. ) I gather that carbon fiber is stong in compression but weak in shear?

Meaning is you have to shove it someone who needs to get off of you, it will be stiff (and sharp, I guess)? Would there be a risk of snappping it off, leaving you with a less than useful eraser, as it were?

Public disclosure: I am just some couch potato on the internet who is interested in carrying stuff that is useful but looks innocuous.

I'm interested in what the experts around here think.

Cool idea though!
    Last edited by RJ; 02-14-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Thanks Rich! Its very strong along its long axis. If you were to try to snap it you could find a way. I suspect that anything that would break this would seriously hurt your hand in the process! It is plenty strong for its intended application

I like where your head is at.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Nice! With the right size of carbon fiber arrows shaft and a trip to Office Depot I might be able to cobble something up of my own. The OSS/SOE had some similar designs back in WWII, namely a pencil with a hardened steel "lead" center. You could defiantly get someone attention with things like this...

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I like where your head is at.
    Thanks Voodoo_Man!

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Nice! With the right size of carbon fiber arrows shaft and a trip to Office Depot I might be able to cobble something up of my own. The OSS/SOE had some similar designs back in WWII, namely a pencil with a hardened steel "lead" center. You could defiantly get someone attention with things like this...
    Old concepts brought forward in time Dont breathe carbon fiber dust!!! I cant stress that enough!
    Last edited by FLC Knives; 02-14-2016 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added safety warning

Tagged for interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Piqued my interest.

A recurring theme in edged weapon discussions is talk about how the worst cases LEOs see generally involve things like sharpened screwdrivers. Always made me half-jokingly wonder why we spend all this time talking about knives instead of screwdrivers. More realistically, I wondered why I hadn't seen stuff like you're posting here.

Can you take some more pictures of the tip of the carbon fiber pencil? I'm having a hard time translating the 2D picture into 3D in my head.

EDIT: Never mind, the angles I needed are on the website. Makes sense now. Very very cool.
    Last edited by GRV; 02-15-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    Took a class with an instructor (and cop) who took a bic pen and added an aluminum shiv to it, sharpened rod from a hardware store. Kept it in his polo shirt collar.

I am no SME in any sense but think a harder angle on the carbon fiber pencil and fill the hollow with epoxy.

User Tag List