Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Hebrew Hammer

DB,
    Since you have used and been around both, did the S&W 25 .45 colt and the USP .45 acp seem to have about the same terminal effect on bad guys ?

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    ...a 6" Model 25 is listed at 42.5 ounces. The 4" 625 JM is 40.5 ounces, and the PERFORMANCE CENTER® Model 625, also 4", is listed as 42 ounces.
    @Dagga Boy is correct, I should have been clear that both these revolvers are .45 ACP, not .45 Colt, AKA "Long Colt."
    Last edited by Drang; 09-15-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    My current outdoor revolver is a Ruger Super Alaskan in .454 Casull, which is basically the .45 Colt Magnun. I can shoot anything from Cowboy loads to Kodiak loads in it.
    I really don’t have a use past .44 Magnum or 10mm (have both)... but if I did, I’d go .460. Not really sure about the size difference between the X-frame and Super Alaskan. Shoot those two, and then the .460. Its bad when your lower powered cartridge is the .454 Casull. [emoji23]

I’m a big revolver fan, but .45 Colt isn’t a huge thing for me. Not saying it is a crappy round, but I lump it into .357 for me... kind of meh (I rather go .44 than .357). I have a Ruger New Vaquero Convertible in .45 Colt/ACP... but was more for having a SAA clone. I rather shoot ACP in that, and just speedload from a 1911 magazine. Bead blasted it because I’m terrible keeping up with polished stainless (looked like ass prior to sending it out).

I got my C&R, and do have a duty sized S&W on my list (if I don’t find one at the PA Oaks gun show, I’ll wait until I move and be actually able to ship one to my house; NJ laws [emoji107]). If I found a qualifying (pre-1968) Model 25, I’d actually want ACP. Machining a Colt to accept moonclipped ACP would likely remove the C&R classification, but don’t think there is any issue if I found a cylinder to swap in (like a convertible). But I’d probably look for a M1917 or Model 22 instead.

There isn’t anything to convert a 629-1 to, and I don’t plan on doing much to it, as it was my first revolver that my father gave me. (6”). My 642-1... I got a conversion cylinder for to allow me to shoot 9mm. Needs moonclips, as Pinnacle reams the chambers to 9x21mm. I wish S&W did a .45 version of the TRR8... and I’d even get it with that stupid lock if they did.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I wish S&W did a .45 version of the TRR8... and I’d even get it with that stupid lock if they did.
    They pretty much do.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-thunder-ranch
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    DB,
    Since you have used and been around both, did the S&W 25 .45 colt and the USP .45 acp seem to have about the same terminal effect on bad guys ?
    The .45 Long Colt Silvertip was much better than .45 ACP Silvertip. Federal +P .45 HST was the best performing street round I have seen so far.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    In factory loads suitable for a S&W N-frame, yes. Hand loaded to its potential in strong revolvers the 45 Colt fully eclipses the .357 Magnum in recoil
    Yes, this. I had a couple of five-shot 45 Colts that David Clements built for me. In those guns it runs neck and neck with the 454 Casull: 325 grains at 1400 fps. Recoil is of a completely different magnitude. It eclipses the 44 Magnum in a lot of guns.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Top rail?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

S&W Model 25-5 in .45 Colt.
    That's one of my grail guns.

I was once offered one in exchange for my .44 Mag large frame Ruger Vaquero. I wanted $20 boot. He turned around and walked away.

Sigh.

The .45 Long Colt Silvertip was much better than .45 ACP Silvertip. Federal +P .45 HST was the best performing street round I have seen so far.
    Thank you.

User Tag List