Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hebrew Hammer

The 5" N frames are superbly balanced guns and sort of "just right". The last revolver I carried was a 5" 25-7. Great guns a s the 5" 27's exude "classy".
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  42.1 KB

This was my first detective bureau gun. Bought in the early '80's. S&W Model 10 3". I would have bought a Model 13, but none were available at the time. Grips are by John Hurst. Later converted to DAO to comply with department policy. I ground off the serrations on the trigger. Carried it in a DeSantis holster and with a 2x2x2 pouch. Carried it on my one and only extradition flight to Indianapolis and back. This one shoots dead on to the sights with 158 +P LHP.
    Last edited by LtDave; 02-16-2016 at 04:42 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Views: 957
Size:  39.4 KB
    This one was the gun I took to my full time regular police academy at Rio Hondo College in 1980 (Class 52). S&W Model 14 .38 Special 6". Grips are by Fuzzy Farrant, who used to live a couple of exits down the freeway from me. Sat in his garage to get fitted for this pair. The gun came with a target hammer and regular trigger, a configuration which I grew to like. I have a LH Safety Speed breakfront for it, the same style holster that LASD used to issue. I refused to convert this one to DAO, so it was retired from on duty carry. Carried the issue revolvers from that point on in uniform. They were S&W 686's, but we never carried magnums. I had a heavy barrel and Aristocrat Rib fitted to the Model 14 by Cheshire & Perez and shot the gun in PPC matches for several years. Eventually I decided to return it to its original factory configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Attachment 5964
    Here's my first duty revolver when I became a reserve cop in 1978. Carried in a LH Hoyt breakfront. First duty ammo issued to me was Winchester 158 grain RN metal point. Plain black sights. Read a lot of Skeeter Skelton and had to have the 5" Model 27.
    My father had one like that but with service stocks and a Tyler T-Grip. I learned to shoot on that and his pre-34 Kit Gun. Still a good mix, come to think of it.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post

This was my first detective bureau gun. Bought in the early '80's. S&W Model 10 3". I would have bought a Model 13, but none were available at the time. Grips are by John Hurst. Later converted to DAO to comply with department policy. I ground off the serrations on the trigger. Carried it in a DeSantis holster and with a 2x2x2 pouch. Carried it on my one and only extradition flight to Indianapolis and back. This one shoots dead on to the sights with 158 +P LHP.
    I love 3" K frames and that is a gorgeous Model 10.

Site Supporter
    You're a lucky guy, LtDave, to have sets of grips from a pair of LAPD legends: John Hurst and Fuzzy Farrant. I regretfully didn't retain my set of 1977 vintage Fuzzys when I sold the old Model 19-3 they were on. Got LOTS of questions from both fellow cops and citizens about where I bought those when I was a fuzzy cheeked copper in the late 70s.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I'm even luckier because I got to meet both of them and visit with them at their homes/shops. I won several sets of Hurst grips at PPC matches in the late '70's early '80's.

My contribution kinda pales in comparison, but here is some old school Detroit PD iron.

The factory nickel 4 inch Model 29 was carried by a Motorman, and the blued Model 25 was a 10th Precinct patrolman's piece. There is a story behind the bent trigger guard on the M25.

Views: 829
Size:  93.7 KB

The 29 is mine now, haven't talked my co worker out of the 25 yet, but the pressure is on!

I replaced the Pachmyers that were on there with the Houges...

Name:  IMG_0813.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  72.3 KB

Ok this one belongs to me now, but it was the duty gun for Robert Collins, former Chief of Police for Monterey Park, CA. Grips are Farrant and it has some self luminous night sight stuff whose name escapes me on the front and rear sights. Got it from his son who was a cop with me at my old SoCal PD.

User Tag List