Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Having a Warrior Mindset in Modern Society

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The samurai knew who their enemy was, it was the other samurai. The armed citizen usually has no clue who the enemy is going to be until the enemy acts first.

The samurai knew the weapon and tactics their enemy was going to most likely use since they were also a samurai. I am not a killer, rapist or thug so I have no clue what the mindset is of those who are.
    While it is true you don't share their mindset, you can learn their probable actions and patterns. That is useful information. Managing them to keep them away and avoiding violence is better than winning the conflict through violence.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    There are a lot of LEO out there who took just the basic required training and re-chamber the same cartridge for 15 years. I would assume the civilian should focus on whatever training they would like to obtain and perfect. But being highly trained still does not make you a warrior, it just makes you highly trained. There is a world of difference between the two.
    I understand where you are coming from on skill sets/training vs. warrior. But if a person trains, and mentally prepares, and develops the skills of self-defense, does he not then have a different mindset than a normal person?

I come from a traditional martial arts background, and I understand that most people who go to the McDojo down the street do not ever develop a different mindset. They learn to do some flashy kicks and maybe they become more fit and self-confident. However if these same people were to go to a school with an instructor who has been there and who is not only teaching self-defense but virtues of a lifestyle, that students will be completely different. At least IMO. And I do not think those need to get into a conflict to become warriors. What do you think?

In all honesty I think the main thing we disagree on is what a "warrior mindset" is. And as for those officers, that type of mentality of doing the minimum doesn't sound very virtuous, and hopefully isn't the norm.

In Him,
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrohn View Post
    I understand where you are coming from on skill sets/training vs. warrior. But if a person trains, and mentally prepares, and develops the skills of self-defense, does he not then have a different mindset than a normal person?
    I honestly don't know, I would imagine it would depend on the individual? I'm not sure I'd call it a warrior mindset, to me it still seems like training and skills more than a warrior frame of mind. Someone in or freshly out of an actual war / combat zone or violent altercation will be in a different mindset regardless of their training, I guess that would be a warrior mindset but just because one person knows how to draw and shoot better than anyone else in the state it doesn't make them a warrior or in a constant frame of mind where they're ready to destroy and kill.

I come from a traditional martial arts background, and I understand that most people who go to the McDojo down the street do not ever develop a different mindset. They learn to do some flashy kicks and maybe they become more fit and self-confident. However if these same people were to go to a school with an instructor who has been there and who is not only teaching self-defense but virtues of a lifestyle, that students will be completely different. At least IMO. And I do not think those need to get into a conflict to become warriors. What do you think?

Depends on how you define warrior I guess. To me a warrior is anyone who has fought a serious fight regardless of their ability, skill or even outcome. A person who fights bravely for something and loses is still a warrior.

I think I agree with this . But what does this entail for you?
    When I wrote "personally responsible" it my intent was sum up the desire, and actions taken in support of that desire, to be responsible for your own safety and self-defense rather than simply presume someone else will "save you".

That means buying proper equipment, obtaining appropriate training and accepting the fact that this is a mature decision and not an adolescent fantasy. That is I why I avoid certain rhetoric in support of that effort.

Rory Miller's "Meditations on Violence" is worth a read if you're interested in training for mindset. He says that for folks not used to violence, the hardest thing is getting past the "This isn't happening to me!" freeze. It's critical to break the freeze and do something.

That's where scenario-based classes can help. There's usually more than one correct response, but you have to do something fast. Freezing gets you "killed".

I'd guess that any active sport with a degree of physical risk (make the right move or get munched) might be helpful.

Personally, my experience as volunteer firefighter/EMT has helped me get past the initial "oh s_____!" freeze when confronted with something ugly. Doing nothing is not an option. You don't always have to be the guy in front, but there's always something useful you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Rory Miller's "Meditations on Violence" is worth a read if you're interested in training for mindset.
    THanks, I'm gonna have to check that out.

As an aside, the term warrior had different connotations during different times in history. At one point, being a warrior was less impressive than being a soldier. Today, being a warrior is usually considered more impressive, since "soldier" is a job title, and "warrior" is a statement that usually reflects a person's skills and mindset. A soldier may be a warrior, but not automatically, and a warrior can be anything else as well.

It's like the ridiculous term "face-shooter." It had some meaning at one point, now it's mostly lost. Next year, there will be a new cool-guy term for being a warrior.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    It had some meaning at one point, now it's mostly lost. Next year, there will be a new cool-guy term for being a warrior.
    I vote for pistol-forum.com member. Can I get a second?

How's this for warrior mindset?

And Adonis DNA?

User Tag List