Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey old guys, explain this to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    It has a thumb break, so it can't be too old. 70's or 80's.
    Agreed. Thankfully, swivel holsters were pretty much old news in this part of the country by the time I hired on (1978). I can only recall seeing a few- very few- of them. The Jordan River holster from Don Hume Leather was our issue item, from the early 70s until 1990, when we switched to L frames and the SafariLand Top Gun as issue items. Of course, we were well into semi-auto transition by then, but it was strictly a voluntary/buy-your-own-shit proposition until 1996, when we began issuing Sigs and the proper accoutrements.

I thought I still had my old issue River holster to show, but I have a deputy friend in Texas who collects old revolver po-lice stuff, so I imagine I sent it to him. I know I gave him my CM Leather duty holster and the six-loop top-off carrier I had made.

Yeah, the item shown would strictly be a collectible, although it might have some utility for a person with shoulder issues like Malamute.

The belt should slide through the area behind the bullet loops. The rings are for the Sam Brown type shoulder strap.

There were guys at my old job carrying holsters like this when I hired on.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The belt should slide through the area behind the bullet loops. The rings are for the Sam Brown type shoulder strap.

Thanks.

I've decided that it'd just be clutter I'd eventually throw out and watch my wife say "I told you so" when I did...but it was cool to learn a bit more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

In there amongst all the Looper brothers' and Carl Martin holsters?

Oklahoma was a mecca for cop leather in the 60s and 70s.

There are dozens of officers I see carrying like this. We have one guy in a neighboring AO that has a safariland holster in one of those rigs.

I am amazed.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Here's a picture of my dad with one of those holsters circa 1960. I can't remember the number of times I heard stories of the swivel breaking and guys looking back to see their gun still in the holster laying on the sidewalk. One of the the first things I did when put in charge of the company firearms program was replace every one with Jordan style holsters. Later moving to the Safariland Topgun mentioned earlier when it came available. The NJ State Police still had many in service up till they moved to the H&K P7.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    In there amongst all the Looper brothers' and Carl Martin holsters?

Oklahoma was a mecca for cop leather in the 60s and 70s.

They were issuing the Jordan Border Patrol rig and dump boxes when I hired on, but some of the old timers still had this type of rig, I don't recall if they were issued or personally bought.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    When I hired on there was a couple of old heads that was using widow makers. full flap holsters. one carried a S&W pinto m27, so it won't get scratched up. Old Sgt. Wright wore one, he was fast with it. He taught me a thing or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am just reflecting on the fact that I clicked on a thread that said "Hey Old Guys"....

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am just reflecting on the fact that I clicked on a thread that said "Hey Old Guys"....
    Either you is, or you ain't.

If you is, then times are good. You play around with your part-time retirement gig (if you have one), answer youngster questions like these, and the best part… you're always meeting new people, and you never have left-overs.

User Tag List