Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with commanders/top brass who are out of touch...?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    True,I've been down that road. I don't know you, but my impression is you would like a cubicle in the the pawnshop unit about as much as I would.
    The worst thing they could do is put me in a paperwork spot, with that said, nothing like is going to happen. Those spots are reserved for females and weak men who are afraid of street work.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    McNulty never did learn how to keep his mouth shut, that's why he ended up humping a fucking boat!

Unfortunately, they'd just put me in some shit hole working midnights, which I already senior'd out of so they wouldn't be able to do that again without a union grievance up their ass.

I am less worried about getting punished and more worried about what happens when someone gets hurt because of their bullshit policies.
    Not saying it's the kind of advice that will go over smoothly, but sometimes fucking everything up by following policy to the letter is the only way to get the higher ups attention.

Embarrassment is the true motivator of admin types. When they get jammed up with their own stupidity, and there's no one to blame, either they'll come around and listen or you never had chance at all.

Once as punishment I got sent to the auto pound for a year. It was a much needed change. It made me realize that the world was just fine without me and there is more to life than police work. No matter how shitty of an assignment you get the best thing you can do is have fun and let everyone know it.
    Last edited by pablo; 02-12-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Not saying it's the kind of advice that will go over smoothly, but sometimes fucking everything up by following policy to the letter is the only way to get the higher ups attention.

Embarrassment is the true motivator of admin types. When they get jammed up with their own stupidity, and there's no one to blame, either they'll come around and listen or you never had chance at all.
    We've had this happen a few times with various policies, they never really change anything, they just amend and keep on trucking.

The issue I had was stemming from something we do every single day but policy says to two different things, at the same time.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Like Like Like Get some Big Boy

The worst thing they could do is put me in a paperwork spot, with that said, nothing like is going to happen. Those spots are reserved for females and weak men who are afraid of street work.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Before making yourself heard, start by saying “with all due respect” then you can say whatever you want without repercussion, it’s in the Geneva Convention….

Quote Originally Posted by frankepc View Post
    Before making yourself heard, start by saying “with all due respect” then you can say whatever you want without repercussion, it’s in the Geneva Convention….
    Is that like qualifing a statement with "im not racist.....sexist....etc, but" ?
    VDMSR.com

I've had the "pleasure" to work for a bunch of idiots in my career. Sad to say, the majority of these were at the senior level. IMO, that's because to rise about a certain rank, politics and suck assmanship become more important than performance, regardless of agency.

For me personally, I mostly used two approaches, depending on the idiot in question. These are education and fear of liability/looking like an idiot to their boss or the press. Regardless of the approach, there is likely a price to pay when dealing with some of these folks. A pick your battle strategy is best, where you focus on the winning the war and not every battle. But, as you know, some battles must be fought as a matter of personal integrity, even when you know you will loose.

Good luck dealing with command idiots. IME, the odds of success are about 30%. It can be done, and I had the personal satisfaction of "slaying" a few idiots and making major policy changes at my old place. There was a professional price to pay with the last Superintendent I worked for, but respect of the men you lead is WAY more important than sucking up to the boss.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I've had the "pleasure" to work for a bunch of idiots in my career. Sad to say, the majority of these were at the senior level. IMO, that's because to rise about a certain rank, politics and suck assmanship become more important than performance, regardless of agency..
    In addtition to this ^^^^. In fed agencies you need to be willing to re- locate to HQ in DC if you want to rise above a certain rank.

We had a commander who pissed off one our old Chiefs (who Nyeti would probably know or know of for sure). He got a broom closet with a desk and a phone. He spent a year there and then got sent to Evidence where he did Officer work at Commander wages. The Chief tried to run him off but the Commander won. He was a hero to the rank and file and he laughed all the way to the bank.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

We've had this happen a few times with various policies, they never really change anything, they just amend and keep on trucking.

The issue I had was stemming from something we do every single day but policy says to two different things, at the same time.
    If that's the approach they take, you can pound your fist and jump on a desk, but they'll always know better than you.

Just try to stay on the path that's best supported by case law.

User Tag List