Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with commanders/top brass who are out of touch...?

How do you deal with commanders/top brass who are out of touch...?

I had to have a discussion with a commander today in reference to how we work domestics, from start to finish, patrol officer to detective to court.

The commander in question has not been on the street since the early 90's and does not know the current way things are handled. His boss, who he will explaining this to was on the street for 2 years (in the early 80's), has been assigned to a desk since (after making rank a few times over).

It did not end well but will work out in the long run.

How do you deal with commanders who are out of touch with what street officers do on a daily basis? In reference to anything in particular, have you had any positive outcomes in reference to these types of conversations or arguments over policy or the right way to do something?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

While I haven't had to butt heads personally, I would think a lot would ride on said commander's openmindedness. Being familiar with current statutes/ case law should support your argument, as those things are likely different than when they were doing things. i.e.-being able to explain "why" things are handled differently now, rather than "they just are".
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 02-12-2016 at 04:12 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

My experience (24 years) says, good luck. If you are fortunate, they'll quash and deride you, then someone up the chain will reintroduce the plan in a few months and be met with glad cries and major awards and promotions.

Site Supporter
    I spent some time in a training and development unit. My experience dealing with chiefs / commanders / directors on things like revising SOPs, field training etc usually followed the cycle of operations below:

1) Enthusiasm
    2) Disillusionment
    3) Panic
    3) Search for the Guilty
    4) Punishment of the Innocent
    5) Praise and Enthusiasm for the Uninvolved

I volunteered to return to field work and was happy to do so.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I don't. I stay under the totem pole so there are several layers of insulation. In the instances were I have to deal directly with them, I answer questions and I present alternatives. "Yes, Sir, I can do it that way. To do so, I will need X resources." "Yes Sir, I can do it that way. It will result in the following issues."

I've said, verbatim, "Sir, I'll ride a tricycle around the interview room while shouting Miranda warnings if that's what you want me to do, but..."

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I don't. I stay under the totem pole so there are several layers of insulation. In the instances were I have to deal directly with them, I answer questions and I present alternatives. "Yes, Sir, I can do it that way. To do so, I will need X resources." "Yes Sir, I can do it that way. It will result in the following issues."

I've said, verbatim, "Sir, I'll ride a tricycle around the interview room while shouting Miranda warnings if that's what you want me to do, but..."
    Sounds like what I have to deal with.

Their way or you get *insert horrible punishment here*.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

If there was one thing "The Wire" got right, it was this:

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

I learned in the Army about being right but outranked. I no longer plant my flag on hills that don't matter, and for it to matter it's generally got to mean someone is going to get hurt or killed.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If there was one thing "The Wire" got right, it was this:

McNulty never did learn how to keep his mouth shut, that's why he ended up humping a fucking boat!

Unfortunately, they'd just put me in some shit hole working midnights, which I already senior'd out of so they wouldn't be able to do that again without a union grievance up their ass.

I am less worried about getting punished and more worried about what happens when someone gets hurt because of their bullshit policies.
    VDMSR.com

Site Supporter
    McNulty never did learn how to keep his mouth shut, that's why he ended up humping a fucking boat!

Unfortunately, they'd just put me in some shit hole working midnights, which I already senior'd out of so they wouldn't be able to do that again without a union grievance up their ass.

I am less worried about getting punished and more worried about what happens when someone gets hurt because of their bullshit policies.
    True,I've been down that road. I don't know you, but my impression is you would like a cubicle in the the pawnshop unit about as much as I would.

User Tag List