Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Book Recommendations

I'm out of ideas. I normally read thrillers and spy novels, but here lately I've been reading everything about Antarctic exploration, and whaling. Go figure. I'm also a fan of WWI stuff, and medical history. At this point I'll try anything good. Got any recommendations?

The Jack Reacher series are good.

I also liked Glock, the Rise of America's Gun (I think, title is from memory.)

The Detective Harry Bosch novels are pretty good, also.

In the past, I've enjoyed reading all the Harry Potter books, as well as The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe.

I seem to recall getting a kick out of Jumbo, the story of the building of the Boeing 747. The Puzzle Palace also comes to mind, IIRC, it is the story of the National Security Agency.

I'll go check my Kindle list and see if anything else springs to mind. If so, I'll add it.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-11-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Have you read Moby Dick? I've read it a few times, and if you have a Kindle it's free. I really like the Kindle version since you can use the dictionary function to look up the old nautical terms used without interrupting the flow of the story. Since you mentioned whaling, it came to mind.

Not really a thriller, but I enjoyed Up Jumps the Devil: http://www.amazon.com/Up-Jumps-Devil.../dp/006206441X I enjoy quirky looks at religion, if you don't then this might not be your thing.

Seven Pillars by TE Lawrence, his account of British involvement in the Mid East in the WWI era.

Rich, I've read all of Michael Connelly's books - great author. The Right Stuff is one of my favorite books, and movies.

BB, Moby Dick just got reread a month or so ago, and kicked off my whaling adventure, the last book being "Of Whales And Men", by R.B. Robertson. Great read as well.

Edited to add, I have read The Seven Pillars Of Wisdom. It's been so long I may have to give it another go.
    Last edited by Clay; 02-11-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Rich, I've read all of Michael Connelly's books - great author. The Right Stuff is one of my favorite books, and movies.

BB, Moby Dick just got reread a month or so ago, and kicked off my whaling adventure, the last book being "Of Whales And Men", by R.B. Robertson. Great read as well.

Edited to add, I have read The Seven Pillars Of Wisdom. It's been so long I may have to give it another go.
    Look at Moby Duck, then. Seriously.

http://www.amazon.com/Moby-Duck-Beac.../dp/0143120506

Anne Perry has a fiction series that take place during WW1.

Bernard Cornwell is a favorite author.

Ha! Will do, thanks BB. I bet the wife will get a kick out of that as well.
    Last edited by Clay; 02-11-2016 at 08:18 PM.

I enjoy historical fiction. Gates of Fire is a favorite for ancient Sparta and the battle of Thermopylae. For the Civil War, there is nothing better than The Killer Angels. For World War 1, To The Last Man by Jeff Shaara. For World War 2, The Eagle has Landed is still a thrilling read (great movie too).

I grew up on Cold War thrillers, and I still think that Frederick Forsythe wrote some of the best in the genre. The Fourth Protocol and The Day of the Jackal are classics that still hold up well today.

For science fiction, Starship Troopers is still the book I reread most often. The Martian was a surprisingly entertaining read and probably my favorite book over the last two years.

I also enjoy the occasional graphic novel. Who is Jake Ellis? is the best I've read in a while...think The Bourne Identity meets Fight Club. The movie is under development...I can only hope they don't screw it up.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 02-11-2016 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Remembered another one...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

At the risk of just babbling about things I've read, Kurt Vonnegut has some good stuff. Slaughterhouse 5 and Player Piano is where I'd start.

Action Adventure

I've enjoyed former Delta Force operator Dalton Fury's (with his ghostwriter), both non-fiction (Kill Bin Laden) and the fictional Kolt Raynor books (sensationalized Delta Force-ish stories). Brad Thor is kind of a modern-pop version of Robert Ludlum and action-oriented, don't-bother-me-with-the-details Tom Clancy and kind of entertaining.

Sci-Fi

- Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series
    - Fahrenheit 451
    - Ender's Game
    - Dune
    - Snow Crash
    - The Postman
    - The Puppet Masters
    - Hyperion
    - Red Rising series (Hunger games for dudes)

Classics

- The Maltese Falcon
    - Slaughterhouse Five
    - Heart of Darkness
    - The Invisible Man (Ellison)

User Tag List