Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55gr Hornady GMX TAP 5.56 (H81255)

55gr Hornady GMX TAP 5.56 (H81255)

I have been testing this round for a while, now. Which is to say, gathering data here and there from my range trips. Thus far, it has proven extremely accurate, and the terminals I have obtained from milk-jugs mirror Hornady's claims. Namely, that it penetrates like a BEAST! It actually penetrated further/better than 62gr TSX 5.56. In milk jugs, the TSX load penetrated 3 jugs, and was found in the 4th. The GMX load penetrated 3 jugs and was found in the 4th, but I think it would have exited, had a 5th jug not been behind it, as it punctured the 5th jug and caused it to leak at the impact site!

Like I said, accuracy is outstanding, and POI is very near to M193, as my photograph shows.

All testing was conducted with my 16.1" Daniel Defense .gov profile CHF barrel with a Surefire 556-212 suppressor. The accuracy testing involved a T2 Aimpoint and G33 magnifier.

I will apologize, my typical 10-shot group is not present, but a 5-shot group of this consistency leads me to think that the round is very accurate, regardless of hair-splitting over statistical analysis thereof.

The expanded slug, fired into milk-jugs from 25 yards, measures 0.501" at the widest, and 0.39" at the narrowest. The narrowest reading is as taken between two opposing petals, and is an "extreme" measurement. If the slug were placed sideways in the calipers, instead of inserting the edges of their tips into these crevices, the narrowest measure would be 0.44". The height of the expanded projectile is 0.38" across the longitudinal center-line. Average expanded diameter, using the narrowest measurement, is 0.4455". Using a more common-sense and less "technical" narrowest measure, it is 0.4705". Considering the distance penetrated, quite frankly, this is VERY impressive!

Here is how the bullet performed at 100 yards. It penetrated, again, 3 jugs, and marked the inside of the far wall of the 4th, but did not quite cause a leak.
    At the widest, it measured 0.481", and at the narrowest, 0.355", for an average of .418, or roughly, 0.0275" smaller than at 25 yards impact. It measures 0.457" in recovered length.
    Also included is accuracy testing using the same rifle as above, but with a Nightforce 1-4 NXS optic in place of the T2/G33.

Multiple lot #'s over the span of 1 year have been tested, showing similar accuracy, and NO case-neck sealant, while the primers are sealed with red sealant. Hornady LE contact has repeatedly stated the case-necks are sealed. This is not been my finding.

Is anyone issued this, and is it sealed at the case neck and is what's on the market seconds, or is NONE of it sealed at the neck, issued or not? The 55gr, specifically, as shown.

I really like this load alot. I have 4 mags ready in a go bag with it since steel core is not allowed and I can only shoot lead core so m193 clones is my practice loads.

If I could get 2000 rounds to stock I would do it right now if the price was right.

Issued departments I do not know off the top of my head.

I keep shooting and liking this stuff. It's hot, and accurate, and seems to expand beautifully. You get all of the expansion and penetration of the TSX rounds up to 62gr in weight, with none of the velocity penalty for the weight, as it's a 55gr round. Over 3100fps from a 16" rifle, per Hornady.

This is my favorite load. It has consistently shot the best from my 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel of all the ammo I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    This is my favorite load. It has consistently shot the best from my 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel of all the ammo I've tried.
    Shoot anything with it? Results? I'm planning to kill a deer with it with season mayhap.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Shoot anything with it? Results? I'm planning to kill a deer with it with season mayhap.
    Yeah, ~20 hogs. Worked as well as my 62gr Fusions I think. As with most cases, I believe bullet placement mattered more than the GMX vs. Fusion. If I did my part, the bullet didn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Yeah, ~20 hogs. Worked as well as my 62gr Fusions I think. As with most cases, I believe bullet placement mattered more than the GMX vs. Fusion. If I did my part, the bullet didn't really matter.
    How did they seem to penetrate/did the wounds look, comparatively? ANy real difference?

Also, have you ever sourced any that was sealed at the case neck? I was told by Hornady it was, but I've never bought any that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    How did they seem to penetrate/did the wounds look, comparatively? ANy real difference?

Also, have you ever sourced any that was sealed at the case neck? I was told by Hornady it was, but I've never bought any that was.
    We didn't open up the hogs, so no clue what it looked like internally. Some had exit wounds, some didn't. The head shots were gnarly though.

I don't think I've ever seen an obviously sealed one. If they are, it isn't visiable.

Has anybody used this Hornady load in ~8"-10" AR pistols? Or at least, do we know the muzzle velocity expansion floor?
    There have been past posts of gel expansion of the Black Hills 50 grain TSX expanding nicely from a short AR pistol barrel. I was hoping that someone might have similar data for this Hornady GMX TAP load.

User Tag List