Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My EDC Gen4 G19 has an issue...

My EDC Gen4 G19 has an issue...

I hit the range today to do some rifle work and install a set of Dueck Defense red fiber op front and their fixed rear sights on my edc gen4 g19, replacing the trijicon HD sights I have on it.

I shot a 200 drill with the HD's on the gun, cold, and put up a 140ish, which is not normal and most of the rounds were hitting way low / low left. I figured it was my fault some how and shot another 200 drill with a gen3 g19 with the new defoor sights on it, put up a 180ish, ok that's normal, not me, might be the gun.

I installed the Dueck Defense sights: (cell phone pix sorry for quality)

Put an NRA b8 target that I was playing around with before hand (with my rmr'd gun and my g17l) out to 25y and shot 5 rounds.

The bottom five rounds are with the Dueck Defense sights installed, equal height, equal light, cutting the target in half with the ledge of the front sight post (like I do with the defoor's). I did not understand what was happening. They were POA/POI dead center at 5 yards. At 12 yards they started to drop very noticeably.

Height comparison between the Dueck front and the Defoor front:

I decided to reinstall the HD's and see if I could replicate this issue and I could. At 25 yards mostly all of my shots were 4-6 inches low / low left. The left part is probably me, but the low part is most definitely not. I'd shoot 3 rounds with the Gen4 G19 and then shoot 3 rounds with the Gen3 G19 and the difference is totally obvious, nothing mechanically different on my end, same grip, same trigger pull, same sight alignment (respective to sights, the HD's you have to aim slightly below the X, with the defoor's you cut it in half with the ledge).

I started to consider some possible issues with my Gen4 G19:

RCxxxx serial number
    40k+ rounds (closer to 45k) no springs changed
    s3f barrel (aftermarket barrel)
    Apex Extractor (to solve the brass in face issue)
    Minus connector
    Trigger guard undercut
    Match glock slide lock (tr graham)

I am thinking its the springs, possibly slide lock and maybe the extractor....maybe going back to everything OEM and see if that helps?

Also to note, I've always had accuracy issues with this gun. Specifically shooting the 200 drill. I'd swap to another Glock (like a g17 or g19, gen3) and/or shoot someone else's gen4 g19 and be very accurate but I've always had slight issues with this one.

Suggestions? Opinions? Dump it and buy a new one?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Too many variables to make an educated guess. I would repeat in another range session, and ideally, have another good shooter try the pistol as well if you continue to experience problems.

I am convinced that the Gen 3 Glock pistols work best for me with less trigger and the Gen 4 pistols work best with more trigger finger. That may be a consideration in going back and forth from gen 3 to 4.

Finally, be careful removing those rear sights!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Too many variables to make an educated guess. I would repeat in another range session, and ideally, have another good shooter try the pistol as well if you continue to experience problems.

I am convinced that the Gen 3 Glock pistols work best for me with less trigger and the Gen 4 pistols work best with more trigger finger. That may be a consideration in going back and forth from gen 3 to 4.

Finally, be careful removing those rear sights!
    I have a good friend who is a gunsmith who I may just give the pistol to in order to see if he can work out the bugs.

As for trigger finger, I shoot everything the same way, full finger and since I switched I have had no issues with accuracy, in fact its been the opposite my accuracy became better.

As I said, I highly doubt it is me as I replicated the same shot with two different guns and the results were what I intended.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

$9K+ worth of ammo through a pistol that was a fixer-upper from the get-go?

Trade that thing in on a new one.

I had a Gen2 17 back in the day that all of sudden started shooting left. Slide was cracked through the ejection port.

Two things I note when messing around with Glocks;

Non Glock barrels often change the POI from POA, sometimes it's "big time". I know several people who run match barrels in Glocks used for serious purposes and they also run Dawson sights so they can zero the gun in after the shift the match barrel causes.

Many sights are built to shoot to the dot, not the top of the front sight. The Ameriglo sights are like this. At the 25 if I want to hit the center of the bull with something like the Ameriglo Hack sights I have to center the tritium dot in the center of the bull, the sights were designed that way. Cutting the target in half with the top of the front sight results in low hits. On one of my guns, to get center hits with the top edge of the sight cutting the bull, I had to use a G21 rear sight to get the gun hitting where I wanted it to hit.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Gun has had two aftermarket barrels, a barsto and now an s3f barrel. Current barrel has sround 4k rounds, accuracy was consistent with this gun and the s3f. The HDs were never top of ledge, more of an 8ball sight picture at 25y. Center circle to target circle whatever that relationship was. The current result is not typical.

I am going to try to put all oem parts back into the gun and see if that affects its impact point, if not ill contact glock and see if they will take a look at it.

Trading in a gun that clearly has issues so that someone else gets stuck with it is unethical in my opinion.
    VDMSR.com

Ordered:

OEM spring kit from glock parts
    New extractor / housing and ejector

Going to put original slide lock back in and oem barrel.
    VDMSR.com

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I had a Gen2 17 back in the day that all of sudden started shooting left. Slide was cracked through the ejection port.
    My wife broke 2 Gen 2 G-17's that way. First one I gave the slide to Chris Edwards and he sent us a new one. The other, I called Glock CS and they paid to ship the whole gun to them and they replaced everything except the frame and barrel.
    Last edited by BN; 02-11-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Trading in a gun that clearly has issues so that someone else gets stuck with it is unethical in my opinion.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Two things I note when messing around with Glocks;

Non Glock barrels often change the POI from POA, sometimes it's "big time". I know several people who run match barrels in Glocks used for serious purposes and they also run Dawson sights so they can zero the gun in after the shift the match barrel causes.

Many sights are built to shoot to the dot, not the top of the front sight. The Ameriglo sights are like this. At the 25 if I want to hit the center of the bull with something like the Ameriglo Hack sights I have to center the tritium dot in the center of the bull, the sights were designed that way. Cutting the target in half with the top of the front sight results in low hits. On one of my guns, to get center hits with the top edge of the sight cutting the bull, I had to use a G21 rear sight to get the gun hitting where I wanted it to hit.
    I have installed many Ameriglo large frame sights on small frame Glocks in order to shoot using the top of the sights rather than the dots.

User Tag List