Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: RCMP training in wake of Moncton shootings

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Word is the RCMP is buying them in 300 gun lots, because that's as many as the purchasers are allowed to order at a time.

That's going to be a long, slow process.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Just pulled ammo for Monday/Tuesday range qual. We are still giving out one box of practice ammo per gun (50 primary, 50 for backup). I don't think I will use all this ammo. But 80/90% will get shot in training.

Like MCH, We are much tighter with our ammo since the post Sandy Hook/DHS/Jade Helm/Obama is buying up all the ammo to kill Americans bullshit. (Ted Cruz was part of killing our generous ammo budget...).

“A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

"...all rounds fired must hit the target."

Immediate Action Rapid Deployment (IARD) was developed in response to a training gaps regarding how officers respond to high-risk critical threats. Chief Supt. Eric Stubbs said the training consists of an indoor two-day course and a one-day outdoor course that all members have to complete within three years. Stubbs said the carbine course and IARD course are being delivered to all cadets at RCMP Depot immediately after they graduate. "Effective April 1, IARD will be mandatory for all members in the RCMP," said Stubbs. Advanced and dynamic shooting drills have been designed for the carbine and the pistol. All RCMP divisions must ensure that practice sessions with instructors are held each year. RCMP will also supply a free annual allotment of practice ammunition so members can train and remain proficient with their firearms. "The traditional course of fire has been replaced with the round-accountability system, which means all rounds fired must hit the target."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...port-1.3439798
    Last edited by Wendell; 03-21-2016 at 04:49 PM.

RCMP pleas on Labour Code charges in Moncton shootings set for May 12

RCMP pleas on charges they violated the health and safety provisions of the Canada Labour Code in connection with the 2014 Moncton Mountie shootings have been delayed again. The charges, which relate to equipment, training and supervision, were recommended by the Public Prosecution Service of Canada last year after its investigation into the shooting deaths of three officers and the wounding of two others by gunman Justin Bourque. Bourque was armed with a M305 .308 semiautomatic rifle and a Mossberg 500 12-gauge shotgun, while the Mounties had to rely on pistols and shotguns. Issuing carbines to Mounties was a key recommendation of a 2011 inquiry into the deaths of four RCMP officers in Mayerthorpe, Atla, in 2005. The Moncton RCMP detachment did have some carbines at the time of the 2014 shooting, but no members were trained to use them. Employment and Social Development Canada, which is responsible for investigating the death of any federal government employee who dies on the job, laid the charges against the RCMP in May 2015. The national police force was expected to enter pleas and set a trial date in Moncton provincial court on Thursday afternoon, but the case has been adjourned until May 12 at 1:30 p.m.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ings-1.3524866

You can find the independent review report at http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/indepen...ng-june-4-2014. The revised annual pistol course of fire rolled out in April, 2016.

Site Supporter
    Years ago, we had open range days once a month where a deputy could come and shoot one hundred rounds on his own time. There were three qualification courses shot twice a year at one hundred ten rounds per session.
    Hardly anyone took advantage of the open range unless ordered to attend for remedial training.
    The Great Recession killed our open range days and reduced our quals to once a year firing two courses for a total of eighty-six rounds. Not sufficient, in my view.

RCMP trial on Labour Code charges in Moncton shootings set for April 18

The four charges stem from the RCMP's response to the shooting spree by Justin Bourque in June 2014. The RCMP previously pleaded not guilty to charges the force violated four health and safety provisions of the Canada Labour Code, and elected to be tried by a provincial court judge. The charges relate to equipment, training and supervision and were recommended by the Public Prosecution Service of Canada after its investigation into the Moncton shootings. Constables Fabrice Gevaudan, 45, Doug Larche, 40, and David Joseph Ross, 32, were shot and killed by Bourque, 24, as he made his way through a Moncton neighbourhood on the evening of June 4, 2014. Constables Darlene Goguen and Eric Dubois were wounded. Bourque was armed with a M305 .308 semiautomatic rifle and a Mossberg 500 12-gauge shotgun. The Mounties had to counter with pistols and shotguns because no members of the Codiac detachment were trained to use a carbine weapon, which is a high-powered, short-barrelled rifle with a longer accurate range than a pistol or shotgun. Bourque is serving five life sentences with no chance of parole for 75 years. Each of the four charges carries a maximum fine of $1 million. The charges include: Failing to provide RCMP members with appropriate use of force equipment and related user training when responding to an active threat or active shooter event; Failing to provide RCMP members with appropriate information, instruction and/or training to ensure their health and safety when responding to an active threat or active shooter event in an open environment; Failing to provide RCMP supervisory personnel with appropriate information, instruction and/or training to ensure the health and safety of RCMP members when responding to an active threat or active shooter event in an open environment; Failing to ensure the health and safety at work of every person employed by it, namely - RCMP members, was protected. No individual RCMP manager or supervisor is named in the charges.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...rque-1.3924503

Firearms facelift - Training added to RCMP's annual pistol qualification

Mounties lacked training, equipment in Moncton shooting, court told

The RCMP is being tried for alleged Labour Code violations stemming from its response to the Justin Bourque shootings, which also wounded two other officers. Crown attorney Paul Adams said Monday that the vast majority of the officers who responded to the active-shooter call on June 4 lacked full training and requalification in firearms.
    http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...ooting-rampage

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    RCMP Chief Supt. Eric Stubbs said officers will be provided with adequate ammunition for training each year. All members are now entitled to a free annual allotment of practice ammunition in order to remain proficient with their firearms skills. “This includes 300 carbine rounds, 200 9-mm pistol rounds and 25 shotgun rounds,” he said.

http://www.24news.ca/the-news/canada...cton-shootings
    <http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/rcmp-update-implementation-macneil-recommendations>
    Well, if my math is correct, that is 300 more rifle rounds, 140 more pistol rounds, and 25 more shotgun rounds, than I am provided per year, most years. The 60 rounds I do get is for qual. A shotgun class, mandated for anyone wishing to keep carrying a shotgun, beyond a cut-off date, several years ago, provided several hundred shells. A mandated-for-all low-light/stress-shoot pistol class, in 2011, provided about 160-180 rounds per officer.

Some few elective classes are offered, some of which provide ammo. Most fill within hours, via computerized sign-up, so the day-shift officers tend to fill the classes, and even if the sign-up process gave everyone an equal chance to enroll, not nearly enough classes are offered. I did manage to enroll in Tactical Shotgun at the end of May, the first time I have managed to get scheduled for elective firearms training in several years.

I cannot carry a patrol rifle/carbine, but would gladly trade those 300 rifle rounds for pistol or shotgun ammo.

Of course, I do not depend upon my employer to provide me with either ammo or training.

All is not gloomy. Our range is available 24 hours, five days/nights a week. On the rare nights that staffing is adequate, I can get a sergeant's OK to drive to the range and shoot the qual course. I can also go to the range during my personal time. If the ammo inventory is adequate, I can buy 60 rounds for $5.00. If not, I use ammo that I bring with me.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-25-2017 at 03:58 PM.

User Tag List