Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RCMP training in wake of Moncton shootings

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Well, it's possible that there are units out there that have some variation among special uits - the original Joint Task Force up here had a bunch of RCMP involved in that, and CSOR definitely uses the 226 so there may have been some special allowance made, and I know a very high-speed individual who worked with a G17 (although I have no idea if that was even legal).

But in general, 5946s by the thousand, and they range from actually pretty smooth (if heavy) triggers to total smashfests with 3-4 hitches and pops, in each direction.

I've seen a couple of guys just kill it with them, though, which is always impressive.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    ...i get 100 rnds a day, mon to fri....as long as i show up to the range in duty gear....

Dont hate me
    I don't hate you, but I'm incredibly jealous right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I assume you mention that to show that not all agencies suck, and that the Bu clearly takes the lives of its agents and the public more seriously than those agencies that don't give practice ammo out.
    Well… not exactly.

But I guess that works too.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Well… not exactly.

But I guess that works too.

Well, i was trying to make you look good. Since the Bu has absolutely nothing to do with other agency 's unfortunate practices, it would seem to silly to mention them in a sour grapes way.

#curmudgensarepeopletoo

Regarding the Canadian po-lice and practicing on their own dime, it was my understanding that they are like the military; show up for a tour of duty, draw your piece, and hit the bricks. Turn in the piece at quitting time. No takey-home-the-company-gun for them. Same deal with the Mounties, I wonder?
    Members are often 'on call', from home. Those members can take their issued weapons home. These members are also issued storage containers, for these weapons, to be installed in their homes.
    Last edited by Wendell; 02-12-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Interesting; and sad. Thanks.

For some reason, I was under the impression that RCMP issued Sigs?
    ERT had Sigs before the other members got auto pistols. Old ERT members might still have their old Sig, but new ERT members get a blackened no-mag-disconnect 5946.

(AFAIK.)
    Last edited by Wendell; 02-12-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    That varies wildly by region and detachment.

Eastern Canada is typically prohibitive.

Western Canada not so much.

Some departments are very open with off-duty carry, and training ammo.

Some not.

Locally, I've had police give me boxes and boxes of ammo at the end of training days because they'd received huge allotments and it wasn't tracked and they could always get more.

The RCMP tends to be way more stringent, and way less progressive about training.

My local force of several hundred get suppressed C8s for their cars if they want, and it's been that way for years. The biggest local force has a massive training facility with ranges that would make most shooters drool and an armoury that's got everything from Thompsons to franken-precision-ARs.

Meanwhile, the RCMP still issue ratbagged 5946s and repair and replacement is often at the discretion of managerial staff who get bonuses for limiting expenditures.

Total shitmix.

I thought off duty carry in Canada was basically a no no. Do some agencies actually allow it?

Can regular joes carry concealed handguns under any conditions in Canada?

Thanks for your information!

I'd say it's mostly verboten but in the west it's by department AFAIK. And some have traditionally been pretty...relaxed.

For non-LE, concealed carry is NYC rare.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I'd say it's mostly verboten but in the west it's by department AFAIK. And some have traditionally been pretty...relaxed.

For non-LE, concealed carry is NYC rare.
    I have researched this some, and when I read Canadian police responses on forums, most say it is not needed up your way. A few wanted to be able to carry though.

Still I can't see the logic of letting guys carry guns certain hours of the week but not others. I am sure it will be that way here in a few years.

When I was in Vancouver police wise I felt like I was in the states.

Yeah, it's generally probably not needed but it depends where you are and obviously you never know WHEN it's going to turn out to have been needed.

The VPD is a big outfit and iirc they've gone back and forth on off-duty carry.

But in general, there is just so much less random violent crime that I'm not really surprised that a lot of police don't even see the need.

User Tag List