Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RCMP training in wake of Moncton shootings

AZ DPS recently started the same accountability for every round nonsense. They also cut the number of hours Troopers can be at the range on the biannual range days.

At my old PD in CA, virtually no one would take advantage of free ammo for practice, and we had a range in the basement that was available 24-7.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

Now we're ALMOST to the point of recording, by name, every round issued, by lot number on the box. I've had some folks in the ammunition side of the house tell me I can ONLY issue and agent 37 rounds of JHP at the end of a range session (we get three 12-round magazines each, +1 to top off). My response to that suggestion is pretty graphic, even for this forum, as I have to count every round of ammunition BACK into the safe at the end of a range day - I'll be dipped in sheep doo if I'm going to open a bunch of "light boxes" and check that there's 13 rounds left in each one.

As of today, four years, 17 days and a wake-up to retirement...
    I'm sorry, but that is just nuts! LSP972 will remember a former LSP Training Academy Capt. who attempted an equally idiotic counting ammo by the box, even instructor proficiency ammo. Didn't last long, but was a major pain in the ass while it did. Said moron went on to become a Deputy Superintendent. Funny how that happens........

My local Sheriff's officers get 1,000 rounds of HST a year for practice.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 02-11-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Regarding the Canadian po-lice and practicing on their own dime, it was my understanding that they are like the military; show up for a tour of duty, draw your piece, and hit the bricks. Turn in the piece at quitting time. No takey-home-the-company-gun for them.

Same deal with the Mounties, I wonder?

That varies wildly by region and detachment.

Eastern Canada is typically prohibitive.

Western Canada not so much.

Some departments are very open with off-duty carry, and training ammo.

Some not.

Locally, I've had police give me boxes and boxes of ammo at the end of training days because they'd received huge allotments and it wasn't tracked and they could always get more.

The RCMP tends to be way more stringent, and way less progressive about training.

My local force of several hundred get suppressed C8s for their cars if they want, and it's been that way for years. The biggest local force has a massive training facility with ranges that would make most shooters drool and an armoury that's got everything from Thompsons to franken-precision-ARs.

Meanwhile, the RCMP still issue ratbagged 5946s and repair and replacement is often at the discretion of managerial staff who get bonuses for limiting expenditures.

Total shitmix.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is just nuts! LSP972 will remember a former LSP Training Academy Capt. who attempted an equally idiotic counting ammo by the box, even instructor proficiency ammo. Didn't last long, but was a major pain in the ass while it did. Said moron went on to become a Deputy Superintendent. Funny how that happens........
    Ah, yes… the super-special TAAMS (Training Academy Ammunition Management System).

Really sad how the bean counters and feather merchants always rise to the top. That particular waste of protoplasm was as bad as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    That varies wildly by region and detachment.

Eastern Canada is typically prohibitive.

Western Canada not so much.

Some departments are very open with off-duty carry, and training ammo.

Some not.

Locally, I've had police give me boxes and boxes of ammo at the end of training days because they'd received huge allotments and it wasn't tracked and they could always get more.

The RCMP tends to be way more stringent, and way less progressive about training.

My local force of several hundred get suppressed C8s for their cars if they want, and it's been that way for years. The biggest local force has a massive training facility with ranges that would make most shooters drool and an armoury that's got everything from Thompsons to franken-precision-ARs.

Meanwhile, the RCMP still issue ratbagged 5946s and repair and replacement is often at the discretion of managerial staff who get bonuses for limiting expenditures.

Total shitmix.
    Interesting; and sad. Thanks.

For some reason, I was under the impression that RCMP issued Sigs?

...i get 100 rnds a day, mon to fri....as long as i show up to the range in duty gear....

Dont hate me
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

...But you can bet that the FB Ones are not so restricted…

I assume you mention that to show that not all agencies suck, and that the Bu clearly takes the lives of its agents and the public more seriously than those agencies that don't give practice ammo out. I agree completely, and it is good to see an agency that doesn't treat it members or the public like cannon fodder.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Interesting; and sad. Thanks.

For some reason, I was under the impression that RCMP issued Sigs?

No such luck. 5946s with triggers in the 10-12 pound range.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    No such luck. 5946s with triggers in the 10-12 pound range.
    The 5946 is a very shootable gun, with one of th better DA triggers out there, but I could swear I've worked with RCMP guys who had 226's.

User Tag List