Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: RCMP training in wake of Moncton shootings

Finances played role in carbine rollout

RCMP Supt. Bruce Stuart, an expert in tactical operations, told Moncton provincial court that he contributed to a threat risk assessment that would help determine how many carbines were needed and which divisions needed them most. The carbines were approved in September 2011, but the rollout took time. Stuart told Judge Leslie Jackson that senior management wanted to add financial components to the risk assessment. He said he attempted to stress that the threat risk assessment should not include “the influence of finances,” but the top brass did not see it that way.
    https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ial-hears.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, if my math is correct, that is 300 more rifle rounds, 140 more pistol rounds, and 25 more shotgun rounds, than I am provided per year, most years. The 60 rounds I do get is for qual. A shotgun class, mandated for anyone wishing to keep carrying a shotgun, beyond a cut-off date, several years ago, provided several hundred shells. A mandated-for-all low-light/stress-shoot pistol class, in 2011, provided about 160-180 rounds per officer.

Some few elective classes are offered, some of which provide ammo. Most fill within hours, via computerized sign-up, so the day-shift officers tend to fill the classes, and even if the sign-up process gave everyone an equal chance to enroll, not nearly enough classes are offered. I did manage to enroll in Tactical Shotgun at the end of May, the first time I have managed to get scheduled for elective firearms training in several years.

I cannot carry a patrol rifle/carbine, but would gladly trade those 300 rifle rounds for pistol or shotgun ammo.

Of course, I do not depend upon my employer to provide me with either ammo or training.

All is not gloomy. Our range is available 24 hours, five days/nights a week. On the rare nights that staffing is adequate, I can get a sergeant's OK to drive to the range and shoot the qual course. I can also go to the range during my personal time. If the ammo inventory is adequate, I can buy 60 rounds for $5.00. If not, I use ammo that I bring with me.
    If I didn't HATE being in the big city, I would do all I could to work at a place like that. How many officers are at the range during the late night hours?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If I didn't HATE being in the big city, I would do all I could to work at a place like that. How many officers are at the range during the late night hours?
    It varies. Near the end of a month, the procrastinators are having to get qual'ed. Near the beginning of the month, the early birds are shooting their quals. Sometimes, I will be the only one there, and that is nice, because I may be allowed to staple-up extra targets, and shoot more freely.

RCMP did about-face on carbines recommendation, expert tells trial

A criminology professor who recommended in 2010 that the RCMP immediately adopt carbines for all uniformed officers testified Monday he got conflicting responses from the national police force. Darryl Davies, a professor at Carleton University in Ottawa, said the RCMP initially rejected his report in 2010 as being "inadequate," but by January 2011, he was thanked for the great job he had done and invited out to lunch. The about-face came after the inquest into the 2005 shooting deaths of four RCMP officers in Mayerthorpe, Alta., said Davies.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ings-1.4093093

RCMP carbine implementation continues

According to Louis-Philippe Thériault, an officer in Moncton who worked the night of the shooting, and the national secretary of the Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada, about 95 per cent of front line members in Moncton have received carbine training since the shooting. There is now a carbine in the patrol car of every one of those officers who have been trained, he says, on every shift in case they need to take it out. "I'm probably taking out the carbine 20-30 times a year," says Thériault.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...2017-1.4102029

except the shotgun ammo, I use more than that in a two week time, spread in, 223, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP and occasionally .357 or .44 mag, I'm a civilian though and pay for my own ammo and range.

Judge convicts RCMP in N.B. massacre, saying force left officers 'ill-prepared'

RCMP officers were caught outgunned and "ill-prepared" to confront a gunman who targeted them on a warm summer night in 2014, Judge Leslie Jackson ruled Friday as he convicted the national police force of failing to provide its members with adequate use-of-force equipment and user training. "It is clear to me that the use-of-force equipment available to those members on June 4, 2014, left them ill-prepared to engage an assailant armed with an automatic rifle," the provincial court judge said in his 64-page decision. Constables Fabrice Gevaudan, Dave Ross and Doug Larche were killed, while constables Eric Dubois and Darlene Goguen were injured in the shootings. The C8 carbine rifle was a central focus of the trial. Carbine rifles were approved for use in 2011, but their rollout was delayed on several occasions. They were not available to general duty officers at the time of the Moncton shootings, and numerous witnesses who testified said they could have made a difference.
    http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/...s-ill-prepared

RCMP training in wake of Moncton shootings

The RCMP loses a 12 on 1 shoot-out and the solution is to pass out free ammo?

http://www.anamericanwithagun.com/
    Last edited by John J. McCarthy, Jr.; 10-01-2017 at 11:28 PM.
    Optimism is true moral courage. - Sir Ernest Shackleton

Site Supporter

RCMP training in wake of Moncton shootings

Quote Originally Posted by John J. McCarthy, Jr. View Post
    The RCMP loses a 12 on 1 shoot-out and the solution is to pass out free ammo?

http://www.anamericanwithagun.com/
    No - that is not "the" solution. Did you read the thread ?
    Last edited by HCM; 10-02-2017 at 12:33 AM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No - that is not "the" solution. Did you read the thread ?
    Or...anything?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List