Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle camera / Dashboard camera recorders

Vehicle camera / Dashboard camera recorders

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    The Z-edge comes with a nice card and it overwrites the oldest video file so that's good.

I also went through the settings and tried out different types to see what I liked the best and ended up using the 720@60fps setting as I'd much prefer 60fps over 30fps. 2k is nice but in the dark 60fps is just better for viewing, which is the point of the DVR to be able to see all the little details on playback.

I did make sure the camera screen turns off setting was on. I don't like looking at the camera LCD screen being lit and it also allows battery to conserve.

Video duration is 3 minutes, not five, easier to mess with the files on a computer. Super Fine quality setting.

Both parking monitor mode and delay off mode are on. They both work.
    Thanks VDM, I'll update my settings tomorrow.

One other comment on the Unit - it came with several stick-on wire clips to assist in locating the power cable around the windscreen edge. Nice touch.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-09-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thanks VDM, I'll update my settings tomorrow.

One other comment on the Unit - it came with several stick-on wire clips to assist in locating the power cable around the windscreen edge. Nice touch.
    Like I said stuff.

Figure out what setting you want for your specific application. For me 60fps works best for all applications.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Mine showed up today. May install tonight and report back tomorrow.
    Taking a break from social media.

Vehicle camera / Dashboard camera recorders

So I grabbed the Z Edge unit out of the truck this morning, I wanted to see how accessible the video was.

I attached it via the short USB cable to my Acer Windoze 10 laptop. All the video showed up in a folder on my d: drive called "NORMAL". It was sequential time-and-date stamped *.MOV files, each approximately 122Kb (1 minute duration, default setting).

The 32Gb card is about 10 Gb used, this is after a couple days running errands for maybe an hour or two (have not kept a log.)

I set the video duration to 3 minutes. The one minute playback chunks seem kinda short for the way we're going to drive.

I'm surprised how sharp the image is for a little camera, I tried to grab a photo below coming back from the gym this morning. I like the wide format. This is at the default settings for video.

So far so good. I like this unit.

Last edited by RJ; 02-11-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Pull some video after driving at night and then see if you need to mess with the settings.

Once thing which seems to be a common issue across 95% of the car dvr's is that it is nearly impossible to get a clear license plate read, especially if it is a white plate, at night due to the whiteout/washout from the headlamps.

I have gotten into the habit of saying the tag out loud if I think for whatever reason the vehicle will do something stupid.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Pull some video after driving at night and then see if you need to mess with the settings.

Once thing which seems to be a common issue across 95% of the car dvr's is that it is nearly impossible to get a clear license plate read, especially if it is a white plate, at night due to the whiteout/washout from the headlamps.

I have gotten into the habit of saying the tag out loud if I think for whatever reason the vehicle will do something stupid.
    I will, thanks.

I left the default of 1920x1080x30 fps. The manual says 280 minutes recording time for a 32Gb card, I'm ok with that.

Oh, and I dunno what I was thinking; the one minute video clips are 120Mb apiece, not 120Kb.

VDM you should ask Z-Edge for a referral bonus because I got one and mounted it in my Jeep today. My thoughts on the packaging match Rich's. Small package with a lot in it!

I pulled moldings and ran the USB cable through the dash and around the windshield. The cable drops out and hugs the factory wiring to the Jeep's rear view mirror. I met the wife at Outback for Valentines dinner and it ran superbly. I need to take it inside and check the recordings. Thanks for the setting suggestions.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 02-14-2017 at 09:44 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    VDM you should ask Z-Edge for a referral bonus because I got one and mounted it in my Jeep today. My thoughts on the packaging match Rich's. Small package with a lot in it!

I pulled moldings and ran the USB cable through the dash and around the windshield. The cable drops out and hugs the factory wiring to the Jeep's rear view mirror. I met the wife at Outback for Valentines dinner and it ran superbly. I need to take it inside and check the recordings. Thanks for the setting suggestions.
    I'm just glad it does what it is supposed to well
    VDMSR.com

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post

Mine's working well enough after a few days, I'm going to go ahead and route the power supply cable more or less permanently.

I did check the process for saving an "event". You just hit the menu button (lower left) while recording, and there results in a 64Mb file saved off in the EVENT folder off the root. So that seems to work.

One issue I've had is that the level of the recorded Audio seems very very low. I've been playing back a few files trying to hear the conversation in the truck without much success. I've got both playback and source audio levels all the way up, and I can barely make out my wife (right seat) but my voice is next to impossible to hear.

Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased overall, and at the $110 price point, it gives me a lot of peace of mind to have.

Last night, I was sitting at a stop light behind the line, and a whole line of schmucks turned left in front of me, coming kinda close to my bumper. Not, with a 7,700 lb truck, it would make much impact on me. But it was nice to have a video if anything happened.

VDMSR.com

User Tag List