Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle camera / Dashboard camera recorders

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I talk to my dash cam, like saying aloud the physical description, tags, etc of a poor/rude/aggressive motorist.
    How about when you sing along with the radio?

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    How about when you sing along with the radio?
    Haters gotta hate

#RESIST

Narrating the event is a good practice. It establishes what is occurring that may not visible due to camera angle, lighting, and image quality. It's more credible than pointing those things out after the fact, when many would lie or embellish in their favor. We'll see cams as standard equipment in cars in the near future, along with discounts and surcharges from the insurance industry to incentivize their use. There is some amazing technology out there, and full 360-degree coverage with good low light imagery is within reach.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Great song! Cos's cover is pretty good.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Narrating the event is a good practice. It establishes what is occurring that may not visible due to camera angle, lighting, and image quality. It's more credible than pointing those things out after the fact, when many would lie or embellish in their favor. We'll see cams as standard equipment in cars in the near future, along with discounts and surcharges from the insurance industry to incentivize their use. There is some amazing technology out there, and full 360-degree coverage with good low light imagery is within reach.
    I've done this a few times, and practice to do this when people record me in the course of duty.

Remember that when someone else watches the video, they don't know how fast a person is going relative to others on the road. If there are smells or odors, etc.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I personally wouldn't spend that much on a dashcam given the plethora of great units at half the price out there, but I can't fault you if that is how you want to go about this. However, I wouldn't be waiting on one, sans having a dash cam right now. I couldn't imagine driving without one.
    Yup yup yup, totally get it. In this case, I don't really mind paying 6X the lower price point. My use is potentially 24/7 across the US and my access to convenient retail locations or mailing drop points for warranty service is limited. So, a reliable unit that functions without issue is of interest to me; plus, I have additional things on the windshield already (the TPMS) that most folks would probably not have.

Absolutely agree on the dash cam usefulness; I've been pondering this for a while and concluded that I don't want to be without one. I'm optimistic the Garmin unit will be available soon; the User Manual published on their website is dated January 2017.

The Mobius is tiny and won't be noticeable on your windshield. I'm certain there are newer, small dash cams out there like this as well.

#RESIST

Is there such a thing as a dash cam that records from the rear as well? I've been sideswiped and rear-ended in the past 3 months, both being total losses. Eating the deductible is getting old.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Is there such a thing as a dash cam that records from the rear as well? I've been sideswiped and rear-ended in the past 3 months, both being total losses. Eating the deductible is getting old.
    I was looking at the PowerLead Puda D003 Dash Cam Dual Camera when Amazon had it as either the deal of the day or lightning deal and IIRC, one of the Q&A answers mentioned it recording both front and rear. Wound up not getting it as I got called to help someone and forgot about it. It also occurs to me that the night vision might encourage me to attempt to do ill advised things.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 02-03-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I'm optimistic the Garmin unit will be available soon; the User Manual published on their website is dated January 2017.

B&H photo shows that this should ship in about 2 weeks.
    Also it looks like the only difference between the 51 and the 50 is
    the smartphone data receiving features. If you are not going
    to pair the device to a smart phone it might make sense to get
    the 50 (which I bet will be priced cheaper than the 51)

NEW ITEM - COMING SOON
    Expected availability: Feb 16, 2017
    Online Only

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._na_lmt_s.html
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

User Tag List