Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle camera / Dashboard camera recorders

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yeah...that'd be a fair old amount of data, as well as put a decent load on your cell phone connection.

Video streaming a HD signal typically is on the order of needing a 5 Mbps connection. So you are talking realtime streaming at that data rate, up to a cloud-based service to host the video, just for the camera. In addition, you'd need to connect (wirelessly?) the camera to the phone...I'll be honest, based on accessing my ROAV unit with the app from my iPhone, the connection is a little sketchy due to the low power of the camera WiFi access point, I am guessing. A video transfer from camera to phone takes about real time (i.e. a video that's one minute long, takes about a minute to transfer). Continuously, that's a chunk of data every hour every minute you are driving, as well as a decent amount of data once it plops onto the server. And what would the designers do in the event a subscriber did not have cell coverage? Probably put a data card in the camera anyway. Not saying impossible, but I'm not sure the market interest is there at the moment. My sense is the ubiquity of ever larger on-board video cards and on-the-spot downloads will be around for a while yet.

Be interested if you find anything.
    This is why I’m a business analyst instead of a developer. What if it simply recorded an ever-changing loop on the phone and let that periodically sync with the cloud?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    This is why I’m a business analyst instead of a developer. What if it simply recorded an ever-changing loop on the phone and let that periodically sync with the cloud?
    Yeah, could be. But what about the people without phones? How do you market this product to them?

But to be honest, the wide availability of canned ‘camera’ ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuits)/chipsets compete with even a WAP (Wireless Access Point) for integrators at pennies per 1K quantities to the factories that assemble these products, there’s probably not really a market to develop something like this. Especially with memory always getting cheaper. I haven’t looked in a while but my camera uses a 32G card; I’m sure they are probably coming with 128 Gb or even higher.

So I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yeah, could be. But what about the people without phones? How do you market this product to them?

But to be honest, the wide availability of canned ‘camera’ ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuits)/chipsets compete with even a WAP (Wireless Access Point) for integrators at pennies per 1K quantities to the factories that assemble these products, there’s probably not really a market to develop something like this. Especially with memory always getting cheaper. I haven’t looked in a while but my camera uses a 32G card; I’m sure they are probably coming with 128 Gb or even higher.

So I dunno.
    My interest in offloading the data was more security than convenience - we had a guy here get involved in an incident where a car backed into him at a light, and he was bashed around, robbed and his dashcam taken by the doers.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Front/interior w/o GPS

I think I'm interested in something like this, but without GPS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ST7THTXL&psc=1. Any recommendations? Or should I just not worry about one more company selling my data?
    Thanks,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    I think I'm interested in something like this, but without GPS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ST7THTXL&psc=1. Any recommendations? Or should I just not worry about one more company selling my data?
    Thanks,
    Jon
    Unless I'm an Uber driver, I'm not seeing the upside for recording the interior. In the context of an auto accident, I just see the downside. I'm sure there is a potential upside; maybe capturing a car jacker's attempt? I'd be curious to hear your (or others') thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Unless I'm an Uber driver, I'm not seeing the upside for recording the interior. In the context of an auto accident, I just see the downside. I'm sure there is a potential upside; maybe capturing a car jacker's attempt? I'd be curious to hear your (or others') thoughts on this.
    I like the idea of interior recording for just that reason - to record carjacking and wilding attempts to document that my reaction was appropriate.
    Ken

I saw this on a vehicle recently. Is there a legal requirement for this? Is it a smart or stupid idea?

Name:  D1775324-39DF-46A9-9DB2-E0565D5C7475.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  27.2 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

It’s not needed in Arizona. It’s not something I’d put on my car.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    First impression: Positive deterrent effect. No obvious downside.

?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Resurrecting this old thread.

BehindBluel's wrote in March 2020 that he purchased this camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...title_o01_s01?

I am thinking about buying one for my new used Dodge Ram with a camper, and wonder if it is still operating and how it has lasted.

Anyone else have any other suggestions re front and rear cameras?

Thanks.

User Tag List