Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle camera / Dashboard camera recorders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I keep a couple of dry erase markers in my overhead sunglass compartment. They work great for writing notes/directions on the windshield.
    You should post this in the life hacks thread. Great idea.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    That’s exactly what I’m looking for. I might buy one when I get paid on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did you end up getting one?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Did you end up getting one?
    Went on the Christmas list. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up ordering and installing this one for my truck: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...title_o01_s01?

$149, but with a $40 coupon at the moment. I have a Ram quad cab and the cable they sent for the rear facing camera was *plenty* long enough. I'd say you could string it through a mini-van with no issue. It comes with a memory card, little installer tool, all the cables required, and the mount. The mount has a suction cup that's also sticky. It's sticky enough it stays in place even before you throw the lever to apply the suction. I haven't had an essential travel since installing it this afternoon, but just in the driveway in "park" mode it looks like decent playback capability.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I ended up ordering and installing this one for my truck: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...title_o01_s01?
    I'm getting ready to sell my old Suburban and debating if I should go to the trouble of taking our the S3 and installing it in the new (to me) SUV or upgrading. I'm leaning toward upgrading as the one you have linked looks neat the humidity outside is like 110% and the dog thinks my time would be better spent throwing the ball for him.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I'm getting ready to sell my old Suburban and debating if I should go to the trouble of taking our the S3 and installing it in the new (to me) SUV or upgrading. I'm leaning toward upgrading as the one you have linked looks neat the humidity outside is like 110% and the dog thinks my time would be better spent throwing the ball for him.
    I'm happy with it so far.

I’m beginning to think current events makes having a dash cam a wise precaution. I was just looking for systems that cover 360 degrees, I’m not sure there are many, although a few seem to allow you to slave multiple cameras to one app. This is going to take research, I think.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Mrs. Rich and I were having this exact conversation on the way to lunch today in her SUV. Our current ROAV C1 Pro model has worked well for on the order of two years now in Florida. I have the same model in my car. My wife and I went through some options in terms of being able to articulate a credible threat in court, i.e. what would cause you to conclude you were being or about to be harmed. Seems like a camera facing the driver like this would be a real asset for establishing the record. Shame you have to think about, but I guess these are the days we live in. Doesn't matter 'why' some asshole is beating your window in with a hammer while 5 other people are kicking in your doors, but maybe they are. So one needs to have a plan to deal with it.

So I looked at dual camera options, and since I have had a positive experience with this company, identified this model with both a forward facing and rearward camera:

https://goroav.com/collections/deskt...ts/dashcam-duo

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-09-26 14-34-09.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  17.1 KB

If I was in the market at the moment, I would probably be getting one of these. I think the importance of outward facing picture is obviously paramount in the event of an auto accident; but these days, with the distinct possibility of being caught up in an incident, one that covers the driver would be good. You'd have a record of exactly what the context was as seen looking towards you.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Mrs. Rich and I were having this exact conversation on the way to lunch today in her SUV. Our current ROAV C1 Pro model has worked well for on the order of two years now in Florida. I have the same model in my car. My wife and I went through some options in terms of being able to articulate a credible threat in court, i.e. what would cause you to conclude you were being or about to be harmed. Seems like a camera facing the driver like this would be a real asset for establishing the record. Shame you have to think about, but I guess these are the days we live in. Doesn't matter 'why' some asshole is beating your window in with a hammer while 5 other people are kicking in your doors, but maybe they are. So one needs to have a plan to deal with it.

So I looked at dual camera options, and since I have had a positive experience with this company, identified this model with both a forward facing and rearward camera:

https://goroav.com/collections/deskt...ts/dashcam-duo

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-09-26 14-34-09.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  17.1 KB

If I was in the market at the moment, I would probably be getting one of these. I think the importance of outward facing picture is obviously paramount in the event of an auto accident; but these days, with the distinct possibility of being caught up in an incident, one that covers the driver would be good. You'd have a record of exactly what the context was as seen looking towards you.
    Something like that with the ability to continuously upload to the cloud via your phone would be just about perfect for my needs, especially for the Miata. The big issue I see with this one is that you have to pull the memory card to get the files. I’d prefer them be automatically be stored offsite in real time.

Edit - I wonder if this would meet my requirements? Time to dig in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Y61W5V
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Something like that with the ability to continuously upload to the cloud via your phone would be just about perfect for my needs, especially for the Miata. The big issue I see with this one is that you have to pull the memory card to get the files. I’d prefer them be automatically be stored offsite in real time.
    Yeah...that'd be a fair old amount of data, as well as put a decent load on your cell phone connection.

Video streaming a HD signal typically is on the order of needing a 5 Mbps connection. So you are talking realtime streaming at that data rate, up to a cloud-based service to host the video, just for the camera. In addition, you'd need to connect (wirelessly?) the camera to the phone...I'll be honest, based on accessing my ROAV unit with the app from my iPhone, the connection is a little sketchy due to the low power of the camera WiFi access point, I am guessing. A video transfer from camera to phone takes about real time (i.e. a video that's one minute long, takes about a minute to transfer). Continuously, that's a chunk of data every hour every minute you are driving, as well as a decent amount of data once it plops onto the server. And what would the designers do in the event a subscriber did not have cell coverage? Probably put a data card in the camera anyway. Not saying impossible, but I'm not sure the market interest is there at the moment. My sense is the ubiquity of ever larger on-board video cards and on-the-spot downloads will be around for a while yet.

Be interested if you find anything.

User Tag List