Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where would you live if shooting and guns were the primary driving factor?

Where would you live if shooting and guns were the primary driving factor?

Caution, thought experiment ahead…

Where would you live if the primary criteria* in the decision making was the shooting sports?

Or, what’s the scene like where you live currently? What’s a place you’ve lived previously that’s either near perfect, or an absolute black hole (places to be avoided, besides obvious things like CA or NY)?

Or, where’s the “mecca” of USPSA or IDPA or where’s the highest concentration and/or frequency of matches, training facilities, that also has access to shotgun sports and ranges?

(Is there such a thing as a USPSA heatmap?)

Some general guidelines
    • Access to actual facilities and events. Sporting clays, regular USPSA or IDPA matches, maybe some 2/3-gun, maybe some outlaw stuff, etc. and at least one match should be available within a 30 minute drive, and additional matches should be within an hour drive.
    • That said, proximity to open land or less structured plinking ranges wouldn’t be a bad thing either. Don’t want to get stuck shooting an indoor USPSA match once a month and then have to drive two hours if you want to shoot paper with the kids at 50-100 yards.
    • Same goes for shotgun sports. Pistol games and ninja skills aren’t everything. Access to at least one Sporting Clays facility within a 30 minute drive, and more within 60-90 minutes ideal.
    • Similarly 2/3-gun events on the reg. Seems to me like those could be an hour drive.
    • Some sort of facility that brings in outside trainers from time to time would be a necessity as well. Make training accessible and you’re more likely to do it. Make it a “vacation” event and you’re less likely. 1 hour drive seems reasonable.
    • If you’re going to get instruction, and you’re going to compete, a facility or open land where you can set up and practice stages or fundamentals with some movement. (besides just shoot, reload, shoot) would be good. Should also be no more than an hour drive, 30 minutes preferred.
    • Proximity to some decent gun shops wouldn’t be a bad thing either. If nothing else some forward thinking dealers that can order stuff or do transfers would be necessary.
    • And obviously you’re going to need favorable, and stable, gun laws and politics surrounding guns. No point moving somewhere you can’t have 15 round mags, or where that right may go away in 3 years.
    • NFA-friendly not required but certainly a bonus. If nothing else it’s indicative of a more favorable overall political climate.

*Let’s throw out the “I’d buy a 100 acre plot and shoot alone for the rest of my life” scenario and add at least a few baseline caveats to the premise
    • The location does have to sustain a normal family life. Wife, kids with schools, a non-remote work situation, etc.
    • Since there is a family involved, other base things like restaurants, schools, social activities and/or church, etc. are important.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Arizona
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

As for me relative to current and past locations…

Current is northern Palm Beach County, FL.

We have two outdoor facilities that are at an hour away that offer ranges and matches, and about three places to shoot clays that are also about an hour drive. NFA and other gun laws in Florida are generally good and seem poised to stay that way. For me personally, the lack of any sort of matches closer to home has killed my shooting participation for the last 8 years since moving here. I believe those ranges have classes from time to time but I can’t seem to figure out how to stay up to date on them.

Great for family, current location not great proximity to activities, and travel situation kind of sucks. Great location for boating & fishing if that’s your thing (not mine).

Prior to that, I lived in Ft Lauderdale, FL.

Probably not what anyone would think of as a shooting Mecca, but the Markham Park range has multiple matches per week and is an easy 15 minute drive from downtown Ft Lauderdale proper (excluding rush hour in the evenings, in which case you want to get there early or plan for longer drive time). Markham has a clays course and a public (albeit draconian, and potentially nerve-wracking) plinking range as well. Since moving away from there other facilities have opened up or expanded that are within the hour driving envelope (or just over, say 70 minutes) that offer additional matches, training classes, etc.

Main issue there is bad for families (or, can be challenging) but other criteria met in terms of activities, restaurants, etc. also pretty travel friendly with its own decent airport and Miami or WPB airports a relatively easy drive option too. sucks in terms of outdoors camping (too hot most of the year) and road trips start out with a built in 5 hours of wasted time getting to GA.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Well that’s a good question, because if Illinois passes its AWB ban and it sticks, I’d really have to consider how much longer I’m going to be here. But, I have a pretty good business in IL and I can’t just pick it up and drop it in another state.

Not everything you described is a factor for me personally. I’m mostly concerned with what I’m allowed to own and carry.

It might sound corny, but Ohio meets a lotta the criteria. In this part of the state (SW) I think there is a dense population of reasonably well employed people with some Appalachian heritage (AKA: hillbillies, bryars...).

ETA:
    Miamisburg is 25min for me, Clinton County is about an hour.

Probably 5-6 Sporting Clays options within 90min. Skeet at WPAFB just across town. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Trapshoot opportunity. Probably 2hr to Elk Creek.

Not that I expect anyone to move here.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-08-2023 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Arizona
    Any particular part?

I am nowhere near as urban averse as I believe many folks here are, but even I was not terribly thrilled about Phoenix when I was there several years ago. Perhaps the Phoenix suburbs? I also happen to not be terribly suburban averse at this point either. Maybe the Scottsdale side is better?

For it to be a "mecca" at least for me, it would need to support a wide scope of shooting sports. So along with the pistol concentrations it would need to also support extended longe range shooting, be nfa friendly AND have good laws supporting castle doctrine, carry etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Any particular part?
    Someplace close to Ben Avery

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

i'm thinking WV from my research, and living someplace remote enough I can set up my own stuff.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Someplace close to Ben Avery

Or Rio Salado (East Phoenix metro area.)

Nobody wants to live near Casa Grande.
    David S.

User Tag List