• Lee Loadmaster, speed on a budget

4 5.71%
  • Dillon 550, the safe choice, just save up for it

47 67.14%
  • Mods here are shit

5 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Dillon 550 vs Hornady Lock'nLoad AP vs Lee Loadmaster vs Lee Classic Turret,GOT 550

...and to complicate things further, it looks as if I can get a 650 setup similarly for just about $100-150 more, if that (I can skip a few non-essentials) that I was looking at earlier. I definitely do like the idea of a true progressive better...
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    ...and to complicate things further, it looks as if I can get a 650 setup similarly for just about $100-150 more, if that (I can skip a few non-essentials) that I was looking at earlier. I definitely do like the idea of a true progressive better...
    My free time dissolved when I had kids, but I still had about an hour of "me" time either early in the morning or late at night. Fortunately I can shoot on the job, so that takes care of my range time. I do not lack the time necessary to reload for all the ammo I can afford to shoot.

-Realistically, you can load UP TO 400rds per hour on a 550 with handgun ammo(Rifle takes longer).

-Realistically, you can load UP TO 600rds per hour on a 650 provided that you invest in a case and bullet feeder.........AND that all of your brass is uniform with no primer crimps or anything else that might stop production.

There is really very little difference in speed between the standard 550 and 650, but the 650 allows for you to purchase more automated accessories that can speed things up. I actually sold my 650 because I didn't feel that its slight increase in speed was worth the cost and trouble. i also use mixed brass that I collect from a police range, so when I did encounter a crimped primer pocket on 9mm brass it was much more difficult to take care of that on the 650. With the 550, it is a breeze to handle problems that occur during production.

I still prefer the analogy that the 550 is like a Remington 870, and a 650 is like a Remington 11-87. Sure the 11-87 is faster, but the manual of arms is much easier on the 550 and it is easier to handle a malfunction or other problems.

^^Thanks, good info for sure. And yeah, my price comparison above did not include a case or bullet feeder...just considering it as I could add that at a later time if I wanted.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

I wouldn't buy a 650 without a case feeder. You don't really take advantage of the auto indexing without it. If you aren't planning on getting the case feeder I'd get a 550 and not look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I was lucky and got three Square Deals cheap - 9, 40, and 45. Very nice setup. If you see a "cheap" Square Deal consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I wouldn't buy a 650 without a case feeder. You don't really take advantage of the auto indexing without it. If you aren't planning on getting the case feeder I'd get a 550 and not look back.
    Auto indexing has benefits beyond pure speed. It's REALLY hard to double charge or squib a round when the shell plate advances on its own, for example. It's also one less motion you have to make on every cycle, which is nice, and IMO makes it easier to get into a smooth rhythm while loading.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Auto indexing has benefits beyond pure speed. It's REALLY hard to double charge or squib a round when the shell plate advances on its own, for example. It's also one less motion you have to make on every cycle, which is nice, and IMO makes it easier to get into a smooth rhythm while loading.
    Between this and the ability to add the powder check die, I ended up choosing the 650 without the case feeder for the time being. Maybe I'll add that for my birthday and help speed the process up even more in a few months time.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

I'm a big fan of a Dillon. Their service is pretty incredible. Everything from tech support to parts replacements- I can't complain. I have had a 550 for years and I only do .45 and 9mm. I bought the case feeder which worked great but added complexity and as someone said, that complexity equals speed until it jams. I actually just took it off and am thinking of selling it (sounds like a great upgrade for LL!). I think I just like touching the brass and putting it in there myself. Sometimes I can notice cracked brass just from feel alone.

The "simplicity" of the 550 is nice when it comes to troubleshooting. It may not be fastest but it works well and is steadfast and reliable. As someone else said, some of the other machines are faster- until they jam and then it kinda evens out in the wash. I think I can do 100rds in around 10 mins not including primers and case prep. .45 is easier because everything is a little bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    Between this and the ability to add the powder check die, I ended up choosing the 650 without the case feeder for the time being. Maybe I'll add that for my birthday and help speed the process up even more in a few months time.
    I did the same thing with the SL900 in 20g, and I rigged up a little PVC pipe funnel and it has really not been that slow. I keep meaning to buy the feeder and will, but it is the second shooting season without it. But it is easy to manage a hull and wad with my left hand.

You may have inspired me to try the same aproach if I want to try the 650.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

User Tag List