• Lee Loadmaster, speed on a budget

4 5.71%
  • Dillon 550, the safe choice, just save up for it

47 67.14%
  • Mods here are shit

5 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Dillon 550 vs Hornady Lock'nLoad AP vs Lee Loadmaster vs Lee Classic Turret,GOT 550

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    IME: Dillon measures don't do well with long kernel extruded rifle powders.
    Ok that makes sense, I'm a ball/flake powder user exclusively.
    Last edited by EMC; 02-22-2016 at 10:22 AM.

My dillon works great with ball powders and small stick powders like benchmark. It gets pissy sometimes with N140, I wouldn't even try something like IMR4064.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    However, am still drawn to the idea of two (2) basic 550's. One for large primer, one for small. I would add the auto priming feature ($80), the auto case eject ($30), and extra tool heads as needed. Total for each press would be about $380
    You might double check, I tried to make the math work on the BL and I am pretty sure you could get the regular 550 and shed the stuff you do not want, the used stuff seems to sell fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My dillon works just fine, but I prefer the case activation of the lee. Also much cheaper so I can keep a measure on every tool head for less.

My intent was that if you buy the BL and add the primer feed and eject you could maybe just buy a 550 and sell off the measure. It amazes me how that stuff sells.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    My intent was that if you buy the BL and add the primer feed and eject you could maybe just buy a 550 and sell off the measure. It amazes me how that stuff sells.

Sorry, I was responding to the Lee powder aspect, not your post above, which I didn't see on my phone at the time.

You're probably right, but I'm not interested in trying to sell the other stuff. Times 2. Plus, I'm not actually going to do that right now, just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Sorry, I was responding to the Lee powder aspect, not your post above, which I didn't see on my phone at the time.

You're probably right, but I'm not interested in trying to sell the other stuff. Times 2. Plus, I'm not actually going to do that right now, just thinking out loud.
    Yeah, I was just sharing from my own experience of getting all fired up over the notion of getting the BL and then doing the math and thinking Shit, Wait...

I do like the looks of that new Lee measure, I am mostly using their dies anyway. And I like the premise of a cylinder as the volume.

Last edited by mmc45414; 02-22-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Brass trimming solution for .300BLK on my 550, GO! If not "on" the 550, that's fine as well.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 04-07-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Brass trimming solution for .300BLK on my 550, GO! If not "on" the 550, that's fine as well.
    Not on 550.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BF0...ds=wft+trimmer

I've used this from the start. If you'll be doing more then 1 caliber look into the wft V2 with changeable inserts for more calibers.

With a short case it is hard to use the common trimmers, hard to hold on to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Speaking from loading thousands of .45 and 9mm.....went with the Hornady LNL. Had a Dillon 1050 which was way too complicated for me to change out between the two calibers. The LNL compares more to the 650 than the 550. Each have their quirks, but to me, the LNL is a good machine with excellent CS if needed. Change out is 20 minutes or less. I have no hesitation in recommending the LNL and would buy again.

User Tag List