Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FN FNS-9

Sage dynamics just ran a two thousand round test on one. He is a die hard glock guy but was impressed by the fns.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat View Post
    Is there anything that this gun does that a Glock or SIG 320 do not?

If someone is looking for a "non-Glock" option, would there be any reason to go with an FNS over a 320?
    I shot a couple of magazines through a FNH FNS 40 a while back. I was reasonably impressed with it. But to answer your question, no, I don't think it offers anything over the SIG P320 at least. I don't care too much for Glocks as they don't feel comfortable in my hand and don't point naturally for me.

The grip on the FNH FNS was reasonably comfortable (I would probably prefer it to even the Gen 4 Glock 19 grip) but it was not nearly as comfortable as the medium grip module on my full-size SIG P320. The trigger was OK but not as good as my SIG.

I bought my SIG P320 F 45 NIB with night sights for just under $500 delivered, very comparable and perhaps a little cheaper than a Gen 4 Glock 19 with contrast sights. You might be able to pick up a FNH FNS9 a little cheaper.

Unless you wanted a manual safety (available on the FNS9, not available on the Glock and not currently available on the SIG) or you really needed to save $50-75 or so, I can't see that the FNS9 would offer anything over the other 2 pistols.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog12 View Post
    Any links to this? If so I am curious as to who they may be and what was or wasn't stated about the FNS9.
    Ernest Langdon ran one for awhile back in 2014 as documented in this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....highlight=FNS9

FredM began a 2000 round challenge on and FNS 9 and reported issues with it in this thread.

Around 2013 / 2014 John Johnson at Ballistic Radio started carrying and testing a pair of FNS 9L's. You won't find mention of it on the ballistic radio website but if you go to the podcasts from time frame you will hear him talk about it.

On a positive note I recall GJM reporting his FNS 40 reliably fed 40 cal hard cast SWC loads which had issues in other platforms.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-12-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Good memory -- the FNS .40 did feed 200 grain hard cast. I like the pistol -- accurate, big mag well, decent OEM night sights, and never malfunctioned in the 1000+ rounds I have put through it. The mag release had to be switched out for the next gen smaller one. Of course, that is a sample of one.

I also have a full size and long slide 9. Never shot enough rounds through either to form an opinion beyond they were accurate. If someone is looking for one let me know.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    FN is sending me one right now...I shot one a bit on their dime and liked the trigger and the magwell, so I'm kind of interested.

My usual line is "I don't really understand why anyone builds more polymer 9 strikers" because the market's pretty stitched up and really...what are you going to do that's interesting?

But recently I've been a bit impressed with what FN is doing as a company so I thought I would give them some time. Basically, I like companies that look at Canada and think, hey, if we played hockey with their stupid rules, we could sell guns, so let's make some Canada-friendly guns".

And FN has been bizarrely responsive to our input.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I have owned many Glocks over the years & just don't shoot them as well as my other guns. I own several P320s & love them because of their light weight, great trigger & similar feel to my duty P229.

My stepson was looking for a HD gun & didn't have a lot of cash. I decided to have range time where he could compare several guns side by side with the intention of helping him buy the one he liked & shot the best. I invited several friends that were also looking for HD or CCW guns.

All were 9mm & roughly the same size and/or capacity. Between a Glock 19, P320C, Beretta 92, FNS9, XDM 3.9, P229 & P250C, all but one liked the ergos, sights & trigger of the FNS9 the best & all shot it the best. I liked the FNS9 so much I bought 2.

As far as pricing goes, forget LEO/MIL. My stepson's & both of mine were "used" (but looked brand new) but $425 or less shipped.

As far as holsters, I bought a clearance El Paso leather OWB for an XD45 & lightly boned it to fit my P320. It now fits & retains the 320, FNS9, wife's G17 & P229.
    Last edited by iWander; 02-15-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    So Baltimore County MD, the largest LE users of the FNS seem to have two reports of true AD's (as opposed to NDs) with their FNS long slides, one of which supposedly occurred while the gun was holstered.

I'm always a bit suspicious of cops reporting "Immaculate Discharges" but it does happen occasionally.

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/cover-s...ervice-weapons

BALTIMORE (WBFF) - There are two investigations centered on the gun almost all Baltimore County Police officers use as side arms. Crime and Justice Reporter Joy Lepola began investigating these guns more than 18 months ago. One of those guns went off inside a police precinct, while secured inside an officer's holster.

On February 2, 2016, a Baltimore County police officer walks into the Pikesville Precinct when the jolt of a gunshot, stops him from taking another step. What's unclear is how it happened.

According to reports FOX45 obtained from the county, the officer says the gun discharged while in its holster. Five officers gave statements saying they were nearby when they heard the gunshot.

The department says it is unaware of a holstered gun ever discharging until now. The department was warned it could happen.

In 2014, a FOX45 investigation uncovered serious safety concerns buried within hundreds of reports and inter-office emails. At the time, the county was in the process of buying new guns for every police officer, almost 2,000 .40 caliber pistols made by FN-America. In one complaint, an officer claimed a round went off without someone's finger on the trigger.

Baltimore County Police Chief Jim Johnson supported spending almost a million dollars on the guns.

"I don't want anything out there that's inferior. I won't stand for it. I don't care what the cost. If I made a mistake, which I certainly don't believe we did, I would admit it," he said back in November 2014.

Joy Lepola asked Baltimore County Police spokesperson Elise Armicost if previous concerns about the guns are supported by the incident that happened in Pikesville.

"We don't know what happened. We don't know if there was some sort of operator error, whether there was some sort of external factor that the officer didn't describe, we just don't know until the review is complete," Armicost said.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...302-story.html

Baltimore Co. police investigate discharge of officer's holstered gun

A ballistics lab is examining a Baltimore County police officer's service weapon after he said the gun discharged at a police station while it was holstered.

No one was injured in the Feb. 2 incident at the Pikesville precinct, police spokeswoman Elise Armacost said Wednesday.

The gun, an FNS-40, was sent to HP White Laboratory, a ballistics testing lab in Harford County. The department contracted with the lab to examine the weapon and help review what happened.

Armacost said the incident was "an accidental discharge." The officer, a seven-year veteran, said he had entered the precinct just after noon when the gun fired "without his having touched it," Armacost said in an e-mail to The Baltimore Sun.

"The events described by the officer are highly unusual," Armacost said. "The department has had accidental discharges in the past involving various types of firearms, but those have all involved user error or some external factor."
    Last edited by HCM; 03-04-2016 at 05:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    Some pertinent details supporting "immaculate discharge" - Baltimore county officers use a Safariland 6360 ALS/SLS Mid-Ride, Level III Retention Duty Holster. Based on todays press release, the weapon was secured in the holster. They are reporting the officers hands were full at the time of occurrence. They are also reporting when the supervisor removed the gun from the retention holster, the spent cartridge was apparently still in the chamber - it ejected when the supervisor cleared the weapon.

http://bearingarms.com/baltimore-cou...ge-new-pistol/

Rank and file Baltimore County Police, their firearm selection committee, and agency brass are now very uncertain about that choice, after what appears to be the accidental discharge of one of these pistols while it was secured in a retention holster and both of the officer’s hands were full. When the supervising officer removed the gun from the retention holster, he removed the magazine and ejected the spent cartridge.

I'm not that familiar with the FNS striker system. How many things would have to happen simultaneously for the pistol to actually discharge without being touched? I imagine at the very least these have some form of mechanical striker block, and then the trigger bar/striker interface.

Very interested in the above info. ^^^

Not Good to have pistols like that, if this is indeed an AD.

User Tag List