Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns for the elderly/arthritic/etc.

Very important, and timely thread that I'll be following closely for more than one family member.

Thanks to OP for starting and everyone else contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    ... Then I brought out a 642, and after one shot, he turned to me and said, "NO". I think he'll end up with a 380.... Can anyone recommend a 380 semi platform for him?
    Reading this thread, I was thinking the g-42 was probably a better choice than the g-43.

I recall some of the people here discussing them but don't recall all the conclusions. How are the other 380s for ease of use?

A few years ago I had the brilliant thought of getting a Smith K-32 for my geezerhood. I was a couple years too late, they were discovered by collectors. So far still able to work the actions of everything, even with other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I think he'll end up with a 380. Can anyone recommend a 380 semi platform for him?
    Sig P238?

Anyone have any trigger time under the Sig P250-22? That's an interesting conversion. The "DAO" trigger of the P250 is fairly light ~6.5 pounds, but long enough to prevent accidental/unintentional discharges. Rear sight could be drifted out and one of Sig's reflex optics installed, easily...Hmm...that's compelling.

-Rob

The Sig's are now appealing to him, as he likes the idea of a safety. Also, since he doesn't have alot of reach with his short fingers, the SA trigger might serve him well.

Are they reliable? He's going to be spending the near future learning how to shoot. He can't be conducting a 2000rd reliability test at the same time.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I would also opt for a G42 for this sort of individual. Still a caliber that means something but definitely one of the nicest centerfire semi-auto's I've ever shot.

I would definitely NOT opt for pretty much any DA revolver, despite how often they get pitched to this demographic. Even with a nice heavy L Frame or GP100 with action work, you're still looking at a minimum 8-9lb DA trigger. Not something for those with diminished strength and joint function...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Sig P238?

Anyone have any trigger time under the Sig P250-22? That's an interesting conversion. The "DAO" trigger of the P250 is fairly light ~6.5 pounds, but long enough to prevent accidental/unintentional discharges. Rear sight could be drifted out and one of Sig's reflex optics installed, easily...Hmm...that's compelling.

-Rob
    Yes, someone does: View From The Porch, although naturally I cannot now find the SIG P/3/2/250 .22 posts...
    Last edited by Drang; 02-09-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Oops.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Timely thread, and I certainly don't have the answer. The closest I've come is the Walther CCP. We sell a bunch of them, and they seem to do alright. One of the big problems is the PIA disassembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    If someone would come up with an update of the Beretta 86 that wasn't priced like imported sin...
    Or a Tomcat in a caliber more suitable for self-defense. (Although, better a .32 you can shoot than a 9mm of whatever length you can't.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    ....Thus, I'd agree with the M&P .22 compact. Fairly hand filling, which helps arthritics....
    This is an important aspect overlooked by those not afflicted with arthritis. Look at some of the kitchen implements designed to help arthritic seniors. Larger handles ergonomically designed to fill the hand.

I'm in to my 6th decade and a seasoned long time shooter. I recently stepped away from the small single stack sub-compacts after doing rather extensive testing of my performance with them compared to their larger double stack compact brethren. The clock and the paper don't lie. My draw, time to first shot and follow up work were all much better with the compact weapons. Much of this due to them being easier to manipulate and control under recoil. The more hand filling grip was simply easy to acquire and hang on to.

I don't have severe arthritis but the sub-compacts would sometimes leaves my hands aching a bit after extended sessions. This will only become more of an issue with time. For myself, I've moved away from the 45 caliber sub-compacts to a 9mm M&P9c with standard pressure HST ammo. This seems to be the smallest service caliber weapon I can shoot to the standard I require for myself as armed citizen.

I'm hoping to add an RMR this summer as my eyes seem to be aging as fast as my hands

And I'm now of the opinion that the inventor of magazine loaders should be knighted

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    ...And I'm now of the opinion that the inventor of magazine loaders should be knighted
    I thought the stoopid magazine loader that came with the glock was, well, stoopid. Until I was one handed/armed after surgery. Wonderful little gadget.

User Tag List