Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns for the elderly/arthritic/etc.

Guns for the elderly/arthritic/etc.

Tam's experience here mimics my own brief time behind the counter at a shop down here in Naples, Florida. Retirees would come into the store looking for a self-defense gun, but because of arthritis and other infirmities that go along with get old, they could not pull back the slide on most service 9mm's, nor pull the trigger on a double-action revolver.

I'd either point them in the direction of an LC-380, a Sig P238, (which, because it was metal to soak up recoil and seemed to be easier to work than other similar-sized locked-breech guns), or else I'd recommend the PMR-30 for the same reasons. Tam's had good luck with the Sig P250 in .380, and a revolver with a hammer than can be cocked is another option, but what else would you recommend to the ever-growing segments of our population who can't defend their lives physically, and so are looking to buy a firearm to even up the odds?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    If someone would come up with an update of the Beretta 86 that wasn't priced like imported sin...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In several very particular situations, I have recommended the M&P .22C.
    Taking a break from social media.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    In several very particular situations, I have recommended the M&P .22C.
    Overheard at the Office: "If somebody came busting into your house in the middle of the night, I'd rather see you reaching for a .22 that you were confident in your ability to lay down some hate with, instead of nervously reaching for a .38 that frightened you almost as much as the bad guy does. Bad guys can smell that shit."
    Last edited by Tamara; 02-09-2016 at 10:46 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

A lot of competitors put lighter recoil springs on their guns.
    A Glock 19 with a 13 lb recoil spring might serve. If for home defense, not to be carried concealed, make that a G17 with light spring, cocking handle and 22 shot ETS magazine.

A gunsmith once devised an easy operating gun for a retiree. He started with a 9mm SA 1911A1, smoothed it up, and put on a compensator.
    Cock the hammer, rack the slide against a 10 lb spring, don't get kicked by a steel gun with compensator. You might could save the cost of the compensator.

Then there was the codger armed with a SAA. Advice was, when assaulted, cock hammer, aim, fire, repeat. If the threat should abate when the gun was cocked but not fired, just PUT IT DOWN. (You might have to tell a responding officer how to decock it, these days.)
    Strength requirement is not great, extreme care in handling is.

These are not Senior SEALs, they are not likely going to be shooting a lot, either in practice or combat. If they can't get their business done in one gun load, they are probably sunk. I can envision a considerate spouse or offspring loading magazines and charging the gun for an Elder so all he has to do is aim and pull the trigger.

As I'm getting older, I've begun to pay quite a bit of attention to these type of threads, and I agree with Tamara's comments (thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that post before) about folks always recommending a revolver. I don't understand that either. I'm not quite 60, but I don't care for the heavy trigger of a double action revolver either. A single action trigger is a lot easier for me to work.

I'm a long time 1911 shooter, and other than the weight, it's worked out pretty well so far. The small(ish) grip, and shorter reach, single action trigger is an advantage for smaller, weaker hands. Cocking the hammer first makes racking the slide much easier, and there is enough mass to the gun, and the .45ACP round, that limp wristing isn't usually a problem. I track my ability with the thumb safety though. Not the ability to remember it, I'd forget to pull the trigger before forgetting the thumb safety, but my thumb range of motion and strength to activate it. It hasn't been a problem yet, but I can see it possibly being one in the future.

I think neyti has commented about the HK LEM guns being a possible solution for those with arthritic or weaker hands, as the trigger is fairly light. I've seen a few posts from gun writer Denis Prysby on another forum on the subject, and if I remember correctly he's moved from large caliber, metal framed autos and revolvers to the M&P 40 as a result of illness/aging. I believe he expects to move to a 9mm version in the future. It is a full size gun that is easy to grip, is a relatively lightweight gun, with a relatively light trigger pull.

As I age, I do expect to move to a poly gun, mostly for the weight savings, but also due to simpler controls, and higher capacity. I often think if I get to the point where I can't rack the slide, I'd have some friend or relative load it up for me. I'd have 15+ rounds available before I'd have to manipulate the slide again.
    Last edited by JTQ; 02-09-2016 at 10:55 AM.

My father turned 71 last month. His hands are still strong, but his fingers are pretty arthritic, also his eyes weren't doing great (doing better now after cataract surgery). I bought him a full-size M&P 9 with a Deltapoint on top and an Apex Forward-Set-Sear trigger. This provides a platform he can shoot well, and the FSS helps by not having to work a long trigger to trip the gun.

My mother still hates the M&P, but liked the Deltapoint. So, dad and I hatched a plan for her. A Ruger 22/45 frame, with a Volquartsen lightweight competition upper, with a Docter III on top, and loaded with CCI Stingers.

Someone could make a killing if they offered a lightweight .22 with a red dot straight from the dealer.

-R

A couple observations from my wife who suffers from arthritis and weak finger strength.

-She feels very confident shooting any semi-auto in .22LR.
    -Across the board, revolver triggers are too heavy.
    -I don't think she's shot anything in .380.
    -In 9mm she feels confident with a VP9, OK with the MP9 and XD, and hates the Glocks. DA/SA are out of the question. Metal guns are too heavy.
    -I'd like to expose her to an LEM
    Last edited by David S.; 02-09-2016 at 11:13 AM.

I'm 66, don't have great eyes, but still have strong hands. Have shot since I was a kid. Familiar with lots of different platforms. That - - - unfamiliarity - - - is a significant hurdle. Under stress, seniors need something that goes bang without much thought, but not with a 2-lb trigger either. Simple manual of arms, able to be manipulated reasonably easily with weak hands, and able to be fired, perhaps repeatedly, without horribly jerking the trigger. Something that a senior, having little training and/or getting in little practice, can shoot and isn't afraid to shoot. With bad eyes (corrected, but still not able to focus as well as 50 years ago on front sight/target), I really like my RMR-equipped M&Pc. Not sure but what that price range might be prohibitive for many seniors, unaccustomed to typical gun prices. Thus, I'd agree with the M&P .22 compact. Fairly hand filling, which helps arthritics. Slide can be easily manipulated. Trigger is . . . OK. Major caliber stopping power doesn't help if it's simply blowing holes in the floor, wall or ceiling. Lacking prior experience, yeah, the .22 can be effective. Hits seem to always work better than misses.

This is timely for me.

I took my good buddy to the pistol range for the first time on Saturday. In december, he decided it was time to own a gun. He's retiring in a few months, and he wanted to tap into the collective experience of many of us "gun guys" at work. He's a very small guy with small hands. Luckily, he wants to be good at anything he does. He'll practice and get instruction, so sky's the limit for him, unless his weak hands hold him back.

Everyone gave him the same recommendation, a lightweight J-frame, especially in a configuration that lets you shoot 357's, "just in case you have to". He's dead set on one. So I took him to the range to try some guns out, ahead of his Handgun Safety Course. He wanted to shoot the 642 first, as the J-frame thing is still in his mind, but I have him a custom Colt Pocketlite in 380 first. His first five shots went into five inches at 6 yards and had him feeling pretty good about the rest of the afternoon. Then he performed decently with the G43. Then I brought out a 642, and after one shot, he turned to me and said, "NO". Now he's wondering why everyone had been telling him to get a lightweight revolver. And now he knows why there's a Captains of Crush 2.0 on my desk.

I think he'll end up with a 380. Can anyone recommend a 380 semi platform for him?

User Tag List