Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CMP 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Stories like "my REMF spilled coffee on me and did not clean me for days" or good stories like "Did you see that fu^*^ng Krauts head blown off"
    Every pot bellied fanboy who's seen Band of Brothers a gazillion times will buy his and assume it's the later. "This was Alvin York's pistol, it's just been "aresenal rebuilt." or "Audie Murphy held off an entire German Division with this one." Maybe it's the one Tom Hanks used to blow up a Tiger Tank?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Given the shape they were in during the 80's when Uncle Sugar gave me one on loan, I'll pass. The CMP's obviously anticipating collectors and the CMP fanbois going ape feces over these. Truth is, they're probably right.
    I'm thinking the same thing. People will pay $1k for a rattle trap that was pieced back together in an arsenal refurb just to say they have one. And, like the Carbines, CMP will sell every one they offer.

I still want a shooter grade Gov't Property marked 1911 and a WW2 era Garand . . . for reasons and all.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Exactly. My 1913-built Colt GI 1911 wasn't in great shape, but it was still more than $1000.
    In the first place, there's quite a bit of difference between a 1913-vintage 1911 and a garden-variety 1911A1 that has been arsenal rebuilt three times and has that many layers of parkerizing on it.

In the second place, these are long-paid-for government weapons; a LOT of them (the guy said there were about 100,000 of them in storage). I always thought the CMP was there to serve the citizenry... not to enjoy profit margins worthy of Exxon.

Whatever.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    In the first place, there's quite a bit of difference between a 1913-vintage 1911 and a garden-variety 1911A1 that has been arsenal rebuilt three times and has that many layers of parkerizing on it.

In the second place, these are long-paid-for government weapons; a LOT of them (the guy said there were about 100,000 of them in storage). I always thought the CMP was there to serve the citizenry... not to enjoy profit margins worthy of Exxon.

Whatever.

Given CMP is now a self supporting non profit entity (like the Post Office) rather than a Government agency receiving tax dollars, they have to keep the lights on somehow.

$1k may be a bit steep but the fact is WWII / GI 1911's bring big $ as collectibles. Even beat to hell examples bring between $1500 and $2k or more.

My 1918 Colt and 1943 Remington Rand came out to $1000 for both. Both were far from perfect but proved quite accurate and functioned extremely well. I'd look at private sales long before shelling out 1k for a rack grade CMP gun.
    Last edited by Talionis; 02-10-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    My 1918 Colt and 1943 Remington Rand came out to $1000 for both. Both were far from perfect but proved quite accurate and functioned extremely well. I'd look at private sales long before shelling out 1k for a rack grade CMP gun.
    When did you buy them, and where?

Whatever.

These things always turn into some weird free market discussion (like the "shortage" threads), but...The CMP sold rifles for good prices for a long time. Guys would buy them up, bring them straight to the gun shows and sell them for $200 bucks more. I guess that's serving the citizenry, sort of. It doesn't do much good for them to sell them for way below market, as they will just be resold and someone else will take the profit.

As far as the condition, no one knows. The rifles ranged from brand new never fired, to parts donors and the pistols are no doubt the same. So how can you say $1000 is a lot when you have no idea what they are like and the private party prices range from $500 for junk to $70,000 for a nice singer?

Whatever.

Mine WAS an arsenal re-build. Had several A1 parts on it. I paid $1200 for it, and sold it a couple years later for the same amount (and it sold quickly at that amount).

It it had all original parts, I never woud have been able to afford it to begin with, probably.
    Last edited by TC215; 02-10-2016 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    The CMP sold rifles for good prices for a long time.
    I know. I bought one back in the 80s, expecting a "rack grade"… and received a barely-used International Harvester. It was not much over $200, delivered.

Fast-forwarding, a thousand bucks today for a good-condition Union Switch would not be exhorbitant. That same thousand bucks for a beat-up Remington or Ithaca… exhorbitant. My point was, the guy said they would be a grand apiece for "rack grade"; anything "special" (such as that Union Switch) would be more. I think that is out of the box pricing; you obviously don't.

I know. I bought one back in the 80s, expecting a "rack grade"… and received a barely-used International Harvester. It was not much over $200, delivered.

Fast-forwarding, a thousand bucks today for a good-condition Union Switch would not be exhorbitant. That same thousand bucks for a beat-up Remington or Ithaca… exhorbitant. My point was, the guy said they would be a grand apiece for "rack grade"; anything "special" (such as that Union Switch) would be more. I think that is out of the box pricing; you obviously don't.

That was 30 years ago. The guys in 1980 were saying that $200 for your International Harvester was a rip off because they used to pick one out of a drum at the hardware store for $25 in 1950. Time marches on...

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    That was 30 years ago. The guys in 1980 were saying that $200 for your International Harvester was a rip off because they used to pick one out of a drum at the hardware store for $25 in 1950. Time marches on...
    You never found M1's in a barrel for $25 dollars, even in 1950.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List