Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Travis Haley Negligent Discharge

Travis Haley Negligent Discharge

I took a look around this site and it doesn't look like we have done this yet...mods please delete it if I missed something.

I'm conflicted about this. In a way I'm glad the video was released, it gets people talking, especially when the ND was by a popular personality. But I'm also kinda shocked it was released to begin with. It's easy to dog-pile the guy as the internet tend to do in these situations. It was obviously a bonehead move. Really, really stupid.

But.....I also firmly believe that the longer you handle firearms, the more you shoot (which for members here is much more than most shooters), the more likely you are to have an ND. Nobody can be perfect 100% of the time. The goal obviously is 100% perfection when it comes to firearm safety, but it has and will continue to happen to even very checked out guys. I am OCD about safety and I try to train and pick gear to try to limit the likelihood that it may happen. I go as far as to review video of myself and make adjustments if I see issues. I feel like I am FAR safer than 99% of the people on the range on any given day. But I also shoot much more than 99% of those shooters. And I don't shoot nearly as much as some members here! Thankfully I have never had an ND, and I really work hard to never have one. But the only way I could guarantee never to have an ND is to never shoot again. Being a realist, I know that I'm not perfect and being tired, sick, distracted, whatever, can and do cause ND's. It's something I think about every time I get on the line.

It's good Haley was following at least one of the four rules and nobody, including himself, was seriously hurt.

My last thought in all this is; if I were a trainer (as some of you guys here are), I would have serious second thoughts about working with Panteao productions. Releasing the video, and not having control of their footage, even after their "talent" asked that the footage not be released, shows a serious breach of professionalism in my opinion.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 02-08-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling

The issue is not the ND, it's the lack of integrity.

He was demonstrating bad techniques and the technique was indeed bad.
    i used to wannabe

Given what he was demonstrating, the accidental trigger pull was foreseeable, in fact, likely. I can't criticize that per se. Would have been nice to not be chambered for this demo....but as many people in the companion FB thread are mentioning, people are fallible.

Guess for me, it is an opportunity to relook at the four rules, and review my dry fire routine. I'd like to think it will never happen, but I sure hope I never put myself in a position where I'll have a ND.

On the video: Did Mr. Haley admit it was an ND? It seems I'm seeing a few different versions on social media. I'd feel better if he just said "well, I F'd up. Don't be like me."

On Panteo: Seems like a d1ck move, from what I've seen so far. Hard to know the real truth though, it is the 'gunternet, after all.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-08-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    He was demonstrating bad techniques and the technique was indeed bad.
    At the least, the "finger inside the trigger guard" method now has a negative data point.

Seems to me like he's demonstrating (and discussing weaknesses) of several different practices to handle an AK, and happened to show on film one of the weaknesses.

I don't really get the problem reflecting poorly on Travis, nor do I see it as a bonehead move. Maybe I'm missing something?

Where is the integrity issue with Travis? Is that in reference to something outside what has been presented in this thread?
    Last edited by TGS; 02-08-2016 at 07:38 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    The issue is not the ND, it's the lack of integrity.
    I don't know the whole story, so I didn't get into the aftermath of the mess in my OP. But yeah, from the little I have read, it's not good on either side of the footage.

The only thing "stupid" about Negligent Discharges are those who think it cannot possibly happen to them...

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Seems to me like he's demonstrating (and discussing weaknesses) of several different practices to handle an AK, and happened to show on film one of the weaknesses.

I don't really get the problem reflecting poorly on Travis, nor do I see it as a bonehead move. Maybe I'm missing something?
    Agreed 100%. Seems like something with educational value and no real shame, given that they were on a range with the gun pointed in a safe direction. He was, after all, talking about the weaknesses of those methods when he gave an unintentional demonstration of what can go wrong with them.

User Tag List