Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 MOS/DP Pro

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Despite some issues, the one thing the RMR has going for it is a reputation for durability.

How durable / reliable is the DP PRO ? I recall reading something about the commercial availability of the DP PRO being delayed due to a military contract ?
    The RMR may certainly be durable, but in my experience with 2 different slide mounted adjustable LED units, not always reliable. Both me and a buddy's RMRs had disappearing dot issues within the first 500 rounds we had them. The jury is obviously still out on the DP pro but my personal testing so far shows it to be far more reliable than the two RMRs I've had personal experience with. I don't plan on testing the durability thing myself, but it certainly SEEMS to be built just as if not slightly more robust than an RMR. Of course, I can't tell you the last time I dropped my pistol, or ran the top of the slide into something, so I doubt I'll ever really have to worry about it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I was under the impression the DP Pro did have an auto-brightness setting. Most of the product descriptions on third party websites, such as Soldier Systems, MidwayUSA, or OpticsPlante state it does, yet the manual doesn't seem to suggest a way to get to that mode, nor does the actual Leupold DP Pro product page. Interesting.
    Nope no auto setting. I was a little disappointed by that, but I don't know how useful it would be for a concealed carry pistol anyway. My RMR had an auto setting, which turned the dot ALL the way down when concealed under clothing. Shooting outdoors in bright sunlight, I quickly learned that I was faster than the auto setting, and so didn't have a dot for at least my first shot while it was still "adjusting." After that day I just decided to find a compromise setting and run with it.

I've been looking into RDS on handguns for quite awhile. In reference to the DP Pro, I saw a video by Doug Holloway from AETI in Michigan where he taps the outside of the sight, causing it to fail. Don't know if this is a recurring problem or not.

Leaving aside reliability, which I have no basis to assess, I am thinking the new DP Pro isn't ready for my use beyond casual messing around. First, the problem of needing to adjust the dot to different light, and how cumbersome that process is, is a major problem. Second, the thing is big, meaning you need an even taller BUIS. For these reasons, I am probably not sending a slide out for a direct mount, and will just leave the DP Pro on my G19 MOS slide, for when I want to play with a red dot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Awwww... Now I'm sad again.

When will DB get to drop in like the burly optics fairy and tell us that Aimpoint is finally giving us an mrds or even smaller T/H model?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Leaving aside reliability, which I have no basis to assess, I am thinking the new DP Pro isn't ready for my use beyond casual messing around. First, the problem of needing to adjust the dot to different light, and how cumbersome that process is, is a major problem. Second, the thing is big, meaning you need an even taller BUIS. For these reasons, I am probably not sending a slide out for a direct mount, and will just leave the DP Pro on my G19 MOS slide, for when I want to play with a red dot.
    The RMR is the same for cowitness on the MOS system. MOS is a compromise system.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Awwww... Now I'm sad again.

When will DB get to drop in like the burly optics fairy and tell us that Aimpoint is finally giving us an mrds or even smaller T/H model?

O&D I've posted that same question on LF, Primary&Secondary + elsewhere here.

To date nada, zilch, nothing from him or any other AP SME's.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    O&D I've posted that same question on LF, Primary&Secondary + elsewhere here.

To date nada, zilch, nothing from him or any other AP SME's.
    Heh, that about covers it.

I'd be surprised if AP weren't working on something to fill the niche. But it also would not surprise me if they kept it very close to the vest until a vetted pre-production unit was a reality.

They'd have my money in a heartbeat, and I'm sure many feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    Nope no auto setting. I was a little disappointed by that, but I don't know how useful it would be for a concealed carry pistol anyway. My RMR had an auto setting, which turned the dot ALL the way down when concealed under clothing. Shooting outdoors in bright sunlight, I quickly learned that I was faster than the auto setting, and so didn't have a dot for at least my first shot while it was still "adjusting." After that day I just decided to find a compromise setting and run with it.
    Ah, that's mildly disappointing indeed. Still, I never used the auto setting on my RM06, I simply keep it at 10/12 brightness, and it works just fine for my needs and set-up, as my guns all have WMLs on them, so bloom is fairly minimal for the most part within realistic distances and environments. That, and I still have the laser to aim with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I've been looking into RDS on handguns for quite awhile. In reference to the DP Pro, I saw a video by Doug Holloway from AETI in Michigan where he taps the outside of the sight, causing it to fail. Don't know if this is a recurring problem or not.
    Unfortunately, there aren't enough DP's in the wild to say. Reliability is a funny thing, some people have run RMRs for thousands of rounds with no reported issues, and the only two RMRs I have personal experience with failed within the first few hundred rounds. Same thing with guns, I've had a rack of 4th gen Glocks without a single issue, yet I continue to see threads pointing towards problems with brand new ones. Taking reliability out of the equation because, really we don't know, to my mind you have this -

RMR Pros:

Easy brightness adjustment

Low height for easy cowitness

Deltapoint Pro:

Significantly larger viewing window

No blue tint (or any tint at all)

Battery loads from the top (no its not that big a deal to take an RMR off to replace the battery, but every chance I have to NOT potentially strip the threads and ruin my slide, I'll take)

To ME the RMR wasn't even close to good enough of a solution to give up iron sights. The tiny little viewing window and blue tint was terrible. The Deltapoint is closer but I'd still change the brightness adjustment if I had my druthers. The tall BUIS doesn't bother me in the least since Dawson makes a solution and you have a giant honkin' red dot on top of your slide either way.

EDIT: Aimpoint has a chance to come in and clean up this market segment. Make a viewing window the size of a deltapoint with RMR style adjustments, OR better yet, a small rotary knob like the rest of their sights. I'd buy one the day they became available.
    Last edited by ChaseN; 02-12-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Aimpoint has the know how to create the category buster product, by making a sealed emitter RDS in a pistol friendly form factor, integrating their dot and battery technology. In my mind it is only a question of when it shows up.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List