Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Full Size

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    What's the cam block supposed to do? Not a lot of info out there on it.
    The cam block locks the barrel in position and under recoil rotates it. Here's an article from the late Stephen A. Camp http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/s...x4_storm_9.htm

Ernest Langdon has commented in his Compact PX4 thread, the frame seems to take very little stress as it is all focused in the slide. I suspect the cam block is the part absorbing most of the stress.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    The cam block locks the barrel in position and under recoil rotates it. Here's an article from the late Stephen A. Camp http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/s...x4_storm_9.htm

Ernest Langdon has commented in his Compact PX4 thread, the frame seems to take very little stress as it is all focused in the slide. I suspect the cam block is the part absorbing most of the stress.
    So critical part for sure - just wondering what the "duty/comp" designation means. Gotta be honest and say that "DLC ("diamond like coating")" sets off my bullish!t alarm a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by LearnedHat View Post
    Gotta be honest and say that "DLC ("diamond like coating")" sets off my bullish!t alarm a little bit.
    I'm a 1911 guy, and IonBond DLC has been around a bit for those looking for a very durable finish for their 1911's.

John Harrison of Harrison Design has this on IonBond DLC http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Static/Finishes.htm
    IonBond DLC (stands for Diamond Like Carbon) is a hard black finish that is fairly new to the firearms market. It is a is a physical vapor deposition coating that has a 3-6 micron build up per surface (that's less than .005"). DLC can be applied to carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, over polished surfaces as well as matte surfaces. When bone-dry it is a dark charcoal color. With a little oil on it, it's black. It's hardness runs 70+ on the Rockwell "C" scale. I think it's the best all around option for a black firearms finish. It appears to be the equal to hard chrome in the durability and rust resistance departments.

If you want a best of breed, black finish that excels in many areas and when durability is really important, DLC is the good stuff.

Sounds like it might be good to have one in my parts kit. Wonder how it compares to the Robar NP3+ stuff. Anyway . . . what am I supposed to do about the main spring if I cannot find the 8000 D?

Sounds like it might be good to have one in my parts kit. Wonder how it compares to the Robar NP3+ stuff. Anyway . . . what am I supposed to do about the main spring if I cannot find the 8000 D?
    Try the Wilson Combat 12 pound chrome silicon spring
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter
    So critical part for sure - just wondering what the "duty/comp" designation means. Gotta be honest and say that "DLC ("diamond like coating")" sets off my bullish!t alarm a little bit.
    DLC is typically a vapor-deposited coating that doesn't alter dimensions - think of it as an akin to melonite, except it's done as a coating vs. a case hardening. We used coatings similar when I worked in aerospace for the shrouds of jet engines (similar to piston rings in a car engine), and they really do make a huge difference - as in the parts would melt after a few hours, compared to lasting to a rebuild was necessary due to maintenance schedules (thousands of hours). Most common alloys were supernickles, which already had a huge tolerance for heat and chemical erosion in comparison to anything the firearms world has.

I'd put on par or above NP3 in terms of adhesion, but after that it becomes a balancing act for what your particular priorities are. Lubrication, hardness, wear resistance, blah blah blah, you can't have them all.

On the flip side, this may be in my stable in the next couple years based off the similarities to the 92 - I just have to get a chance to shoot one. A centurion G model is at the top right now, with part/mag/holsters being compatible for logistics - but the PX family seems to be gathering steam, and is a strong contender against the HK family if I decide to abandon commonality of parts/mags/etc...

My wallet hates you all.
    Last edited by jeep45238; 11-14-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Really? I just followed the video, which stated to remove it. Good to know, thanks! Removing the extractor did give me the opportunity to give it a good cleaning. It was gunked up similar to what you would find on 92 series extractor.
    think back to what you did, did anything related to the decocking levers touch on the extractor? no. they work independently, you don't have to touch one to work on the other. i too followed a similar video the first time i messed with the decocking levers, and when i got done, i wondered, "why did i mess with the extractor? it has nothing to do with the decocking levers." just a wasted step.

nothing wrong with cleaning the extractor, but removing it is not required to work on the decockers.

lesson: not every youtube video is correct.

I just won a GB auction for one of these. Appears lightly used but mfr data is circa 2010. Paid $346 with shipping. Probably could have done better but I don't know how much. Anyway, I'm excited but since winning the auction was a surprise to me and a bigger surprise for my wife, not sure I should get the fancy levers and trigger group right now. Although I may be too excited when it comes in not to, sorry about the pun, pull the trigger on the upgrades.

Vending Machine Operator
    I just won a GB auction for one of these. Appears lightly used but mfr data is circa 2010. Paid $346 with shipping. Probably could have done better but I don't know how much. Anyway, I'm excited but since winning the auction was a surprise to me and a bigger surprise for my wife, not sure I should get the fancy levers and trigger group right now. Although I may be too excited when it comes in not to, sorry about the pun, pull the trigger on the upgrades.
    Woah, nice price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I assume all you fellas know this but if you register with Beretta USA you get 10% off your first order. Currently, if that order goes over $200 before S&H, taxes, and after the discount, you will get a rebate code for 25% of your net merchandise total that can be used on another purchase before the end of the year.

User Tag List