Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Full Size

Site Supporter
    Pretty sure the C and D models are only only the full size models. You can make a compact C because that all use the same trigger components.

C falls to 1/2 cocked position without a 2nd strike ability. D is full DAO with 2nd strike.

I had a PX4 9mm fullsize constant action. Very nice, sold it and wish I didn't. Very accurate. I did just see one for sale at Bud's under new handguns.

I just bought a full size PX4. I'll be picking up a Blade-Tech OWB holster and, if I like the gun, some JMCK gear. It will post thoughts, results, pics once I receive it. 2000 round challenge starts as soon as I lube it.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 10-30-2016 at 05:46 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I just bought a full size PX4. I'll be picking up a Blade-Tech OWB holster and, if I like the gun, some JMCK gear. It will post thoughts, results, pics once I receive it. 2000 round challenge starts as soon as I lube it.
    I was one click away from buying an Inox full size 9mm Storm about a month ago. But the lack of sight options made me pause. Are you just going to use the stock sights and hope the Ameriglo's get released?
    Last edited by MSparks909; 10-30-2016 at 06:17 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I was one click away from buying an Inox full size 9mm Storm about a month ago. But the lack of sight options made me pause. Are you just going to use the stock sights and hope the Ameriglo's get released?
    Yeah, stock sights for now. But I know I would be happy with the sights Ernest spec'd for the compact. I'm hoping they are made available.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 10-30-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

This is going to be a long post, sorry about that.

I've been watching Ernest Langdon's PX4 Compact thread with interest. I'm a huge DA/SA and Beretta fan. Also, I've taken courses with Ernest and respect his opinion, so his thread had me curious. I follow him on Facebook and Instagram (if you don't you should, he posts great content) and he was shooting the compact like a house on fire. Lately, I noticed he was shooting his PX4 Compact during in class demo's. I rate an in-class demo right up there with some of the most stressful shooting situations one could put themselves into on a range. Imagine standing in front of 10 or more paying students and having to perform on demand! Ernest has access to some of the best tuned Beretta 92's on the planet and he's choosing to shoot a compact pistol, at a demo, during a class.

That turned my curiosity into a purchase decision.

I bought this gun used and I have no idea if the previous owner coloured the slide markings red. If he did, I'm glad to have saved this gun from a life of derp. Also, it seems like the owner tried to remove the finish off the barrel and locking block...not sure why. Perhaps there was some surface rust? Don't know. It apparently only has 2500 rounds through it. Aside from the barrel and locking block, the wear to the rails and slide looks minimal, so I tend to think that it's close to that.

Thoughts:
    1) Basically this gun is a polymer framed Beretta 92 (yeah, yeah, before you gun nerds go all "Rotating Barrel!" on me, just hear me out). The controls are very similar, the trigger feels much like the 92, the grip angle is the same, and it indexes virtually the same on the draw. So, if you are a Beretta 92 fan it will take you no time to get used to the PX4.

2) It's smaller in overall length than a Centurion (note this is a Canadian model, hence the slightly longer barrel than normal to meet our regulations) and the grip length (from trigger guard to bottom of mag) is almost identical to the 92. The grip is thinner and it should conceal well, if that is important to you. The front and back grip serrations are awesome, but the side panels are slippery and have no gripping surface at all. I fixed that with skate tape.

The sight radius is just a little shorter than a Centurion.

The grip length and height, with mag inserted, is almost identical to the Centurion.

3) The safety ears are huge. I much prefer the 92's design, and the PX4 safety does not allow you to push the safety off by pushing down with the knuckle of your thumb.

4) It's got a dovetail front sight. If you are a 92 fan, you will understand why this is a nice treat. The rear sight on this gun has bright green inserts, while the front has a white dot. I blacked out the rear with a sharpie and will be using the white front sight until I can get a set of the Langdon Ameriglo's.

5) It's quite a bit lighter than the 92 series guns. Listed weight is between 32 and 34 oz for 92's and the full size PX4 is 27.7oz.The slide fully covers the barrel. The design of the safety and the Bruniton finish coupled with the front and rear cocking serrations make the gun easy to rack. The safety ears are angled up and I had no worries that grasping the slide would engage the safety when it was configured as the "F" model. The Bruniton finish is a little tacky in feel, and it's not slippery, like a Glock.

6) It's user convertible to a G model pistol, which means the safety can be converted to a decocker only. You simply remove the safety, pop out a ball detente and spring and reassemble. Easy.

7) The gun is super easy to disassemble. You don't have to pull the trigger and there is no lever to get in the way of your grip. Simply push down on the two tabs in the frame and the slide comes right off.

8) The mags are very similar to 92 series mags but they are not interchangeable. They fit in my JMCK 92 mag holder but they were very tight, even when backing off the retention screw. The front of the mags are square, much like factory 92 mags, which sucks for reloads. I wish Mec Gar made PX4 mags with tapered top metal like they do for the 92 series.

PX4 mag, Mec Gar Beretta mag

9) The mag well on the gun is small, like most 92's, which is not conducive to fast reloads, but I was able to do a few sub second reloads when I hit the mag well just right. This gun is going to have a really beat to hell mag well once I am finished with it.

Centurion, PX4, Elite II

10) I noticed the frame has very tiny metal insert frame rails, and no frame mounted locking block. Interesting. I noticed some barrel movement when the gun is in battery, much like you get with the 92 series.

So that's it for now. Pistol is lubed with Lucas red "n" tacky and I hope to get to the range as soon as I receive my registration papers. 2000 round challenge starts now.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 11-06-2016 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Added stuff
    --

Vending Machine Operator
    Hmm, my 2008-production PX4 .40 does not have that little metal piece on the frame portion of the barrel ramp. Did they add that later?
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

That's interesting, is there anywhere I could check my serial number vs date of manufacture?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    That's interesting, is there anywhere I could check my serial number vs date of manufacture?
    http://www.berettasupport.com/applic...search_new.htm

Thanks I found that site. I entered my serial number and it says "not found"....
    --

User Tag List