Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Full Size

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    oooo a 5" Px4?!?!? Now THAT would be cool!
    So... a PX5?

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Shot mine at a match last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Shot mine at a match last night.

That gun looks familiar, what front sight is that? It's hard to tell from the video but it doesn't look like the one I had on there.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    That gun looks familiar, what front sight is that? It's hard to tell from the video but it doesn't look like the one I had on there.
    It's the same one refinished in Inox to match the slide after I drilled it for a fiber front sight.

i like the bird foot print no shoot on the last array.....

So for almost two years I had a Beretta PX4 Storm Type C in .40 S&W as my duty weapon until my department changed over to glock and I got a Gen 4 22.

During this time I fired about five thousand rounds. About 500 rounds of Winchester Super X 165gr semi jacketed rounds, 1k of PPU 165 gr FMJ, 200 rounds S&B 180 gr, 50 rounds winchester ranger t 165 hp, and then the rest were all PMC 165 gr FMJ.

I only experienced 4 failures to chamber. Basically round would chamber halfway and then stop. This only occured with the Winchester Super X. I did have one of our armorer's replace my recoil spring and the problem went away with that particular brand of ammunition.

My department just has your basic trijicon bright and tough nighsights and I had them put the large backstrap on the gun due to my hand size. I found the grip to feel very slick so I added Talon Grip tape in their rough texture to the grip and I was pretty happy with it. I did replace the Talon Grip tape after it worn out after about a year and a half on the gun. Keep in mind this gun was mostly carried open carry in uniform so the gun was exposed quite a bit to rain and the weather. Only time I would carry it concealed was off duty sometimes or when I went to court or training and was wearing a suit or regular clothes.

I went through the Police Academy Firearms Training, multiple department open range and inservice firearms training. Also shot it in multiple pistol competitions both LE matches and IDPA. I felt the recoil was lighter than most .40 S&W caliber guns I shot before and accuracy was fine as long as I did my part. I did wish it was a type G or even the type F as I found during rapid fire I sometimes would not let the trigger fully out and the gun would not reset causing a dead trigger since it has a longer reset than most guns. This I imagine I would get used to eventually though with more range time and training. It did not happen very often though.

Personally most people in my department did not like the weapon. Most people had trouble learning to shoot even the lighten DOA trigger. Also many officers experienced the same malfunction I mentioned earlier. The department mainly used the super x ammo I mentioned earlier for training. In fact during the academy my class shot the PMC FMJ 165 gr until the last day of firearms training with zero issues. Then the last day we switched to the winchester super x. All 7 of the officers from my department experienced light strikes or the failure to feed I described earlier. I mention this to our Quartermaster and the admin sgt who were in charge of ordering our ammunition for training and they kept using the winchester ammo and officers kept complaining of issues. The other issue was our preventive maintance program was non-existent. They would only service guns if an officer had a part break or was having malfunctions. The first thing beretta did for us when they went to them was to have all our recoil springs replaced just like I had an armorer do to my gun. My gun was a reissued gun and the guns we were using were all issued in 2008. So I write the problems we had off to poor maintance and ammunition issues.

Personally after my recoil spring was replaced I liked the gun just fine. I just wished it was the Type G and Type F instead of the Type C. I think its just fine for duty, concealed carry, or competition.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

So just a video of me running it in an IDPA match I shot with it. On the low light stage I did have induced a user malfunction. So they put the large slide releases on our PX4s. With my thumbs sometimes I would ride the slide release causing it to have a failure to lock back on the last round. This would have been fixed with the smaller slide release beretta makes for the PX4 or me just changing my grip. Honestly this only occurred for me like maybe 3 times where I cause this malfunction.
    https://youtu.be/EuSbiyXa46o

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

You can see in my video that mine doesn't lock back either because of my grip interfering with the slide lock lever and I have the slim lever you're talking about.

I've never had an issue with the PX4 slide release. But I did spend a few months of dry fire and shooting a Sig 226 and had some initial problems with the slide release. That time with the Sig seemed to cure me of all slide lock related issues on all guns since.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

A couple more observations about the PX4 for readers of this thread.

I was doing some no-mag-in-the-gun reload drills today. Par time was .7 which was mostly unreachable for me. I was trying to ingrain movements for my new Ghost mag pouches, which are oriented bullet nose out. I picked .7 to force myself to get the index on my mag exactly right. At that speed the wheels come off quick for me and it accentuates the typical reload problems I have with the PX4.

This one; which is a direct result of the square shape of the front strap of the PX4 mag. I hope to do the Langdon mod to these mags, but I am trying to confirm if the mods are legal in IPSC production division before I break out the Dremel. As I've said before I would like to see Mec-Gar make some PX4 mags with a more tapered front strap, like they do for the 92 series.

And this problem, which takes me forever (relative to my speed reload goals) to fix when it happens. The left side of the mag well gets stuck between the bullet and the side of the mag body.

Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 01-28-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

User Tag List